09/25/12 07:37 PM
09/25/12 07:37 PM
Michigan
A
AnRT4Me Offline OP
AnRT4Me  Offline OP
A

Michigan
Please help! I have a 1970 Coronet RT with a stock 440 and a 727 that was rebuilt about 2 years ago with a Mr. Shifter kit in it. I have been driving it off and on since I restored it and it has run fine until early this summer upon trying to start the car with the key it worked only some of the time, so I had to use a screwdriver on the starter relay to start it. I replaced the starter relay several times Other times it would start fine with the key ignition. I have all new wiring from front to rear plus a new ballast resistor, CDI box, voltage regulator, high torque mini starter, neutral safety switch and wire, and starter relay. The trans linkage is adjusted properly. Now, the car will only start with a screwdriver on the starter relay! Any idea as to what is causing this problem?

Re: Ignition Malfunction [Re: AnRT4Me] #1310564
09/25/12 07:41 PM
09/25/12 07:41 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Please help! I have a 1970 Coronet RT with a stock 440 and a 727 that was rebuilt about 2 years ago with a Mr. Shifter kit in it. I have been driving it off and on since I restored it and it has run fine until early this summer upon trying to start the car with the key it worked only some of the time, so I had to use a screwdriver on the starter relay to start it. I replaced the starter relay several times Other times it would start fine with the key ignition. I have all new wiring from front to rear plus a new ballast resistor, CDI box, voltage regulator, high torque mini starter, neutral safety switch and wire, and starter relay. The trans linkage is adjusted properly. Now, the car will only start with a screwdriver on the starter relay! Any idea as to what is causing this problem?

I'd guess either the firewall plug in at the fuse box or the connector under the steering wheel.

Good luck.

Re: Ignition Malfunction [Re: AnRT4Me] #1310565
09/25/12 08:06 PM
09/25/12 08:06 PM
Toronto, Ontario
M
mjharman Offline
mjharman  Offline
M

Toronto, Ontario
I had a starter problem...I traced it back to my ammeter..red wire was getting 12.7 volts...other side (black wire) was getting 0 volts
I jumpered the two together a wham my power was now reaching my ignition switch. Try testing battery feed on the ignition switch with
volt meter..good luck....Mike
P.S. i had a dim dome light, my signals were not working....just not getting full voltage which can cause weird things to happen and I also put in a new start relay (easiest thing to do) and it didnt solve the problem...also my original problem was the starter would start the car then the next time nothing...

69 Roadrunner 440 4speed
Re: Ignition Malfunction [Re: AnRT4Me] #1310566
09/25/12 08:23 PM
09/25/12 08:23 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Neutral Safety Switch... Couple things to try, hold the key in the start position while moving the shifter slowly thorough park/reverse/neutral/drive...

The other thing to try is run a wire from the NSS lug on the starter relay to ground... This should cause the starter to work whether the car is in gear or neutral... BTW the NSS lug is the connection shown in the lower left....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Ignition Malfunction [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1310567
09/25/12 09:31 PM
09/25/12 09:31 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
get a jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends and jump the lower left (in the pic) male terminal to ground & see if it'll crank with the ign key & if so as said the NSS ain't being grounded (or there's an open in that wire/terminals downstream). If it will not crank with the key replace the terminal/wire on the lower left terminal and put it in park or neutral and pull the terminal/yellow wire from the male terminal in the upper left and jump 12V to the male terminal & if it cranks right then without using the key there's an open between the ign switch ST (crank) terminal out to the dangling under the column harness or the bulkhead

Last edited by RapidRobert; 09/26/12 10:07 AM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth