09/12/12 08:44 PM
San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
1968RR Offline OP
top fuel
1968RR  Offline OP
top fuel

This is kind of odd and I feel kind of silly even asking it, but here goes:
The last couple of times I've taken my car out for a spin, I've noticed a little oil beneath the driver's-side front-most intake bolt. It looks too thick to be gasoline and my carb isn't leaking so I'm pretty sure that it's oil. The heads are Indy SRs, but I don't remember the intake bolt going into an oil galley.
Any one have any idea what's going on?
Thanks in advance for any help.

"When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me." - Mookie Wilson
Re: Oil from and intake bolt? [Re: 1968RR] #1303113
09/12/12 10:53 PM
09/12/12 10:53 PM
1968RR Offline OP
top fuel
1968RR  Offline OP
top fuel

Well - I just wrapped the intake bolt with Teflon tape and I guess we'll see if that stops the leak. In any event, the bolt had a thin layer of oil on it when I removed it, indicating (at least as I interpreted it) that the material between the oil galley in the head and the intake threading had been "worn" away. Maybe my theory is incorrect, but (if not) Indy needs to make sure that the material between the oiling passage and the bolt holes is sufficient. Not that I would know what I'm talking about...
Any other theories as to what has happened? I'm sure I'm missing some simple explanation.

"When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me." - Mookie Wilson
Re: Oil from and intake bolt? [Re: 1968RR] #1303114
09/12/12 11:02 PM
09/12/12 11:02 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

A Banana Republic near you.
I don't know what an SR looks like in the pushrod tunnel but I do know that some heads , especially stock iron heads , have intake bolt holes that go into the pushrod tunnel so it is possible for oil to creep up the threads . Put sealer on the bolts and see what happens .

Do SR's oil the rocker shafts thru the deck or do they have external lines ?