Print Thread
clutch and shifting issues #1299865
09/08/12 07:54 PM
09/08/12 07:54 PM
S
skelator Offline OP
skelator  Offline OP
S

ok a while ago i posted i was having shifting issues with my new clutch. (1969 charger new 440) i made an adjustment and all was well for about 150 miles. it gradually started getting worse till it became undriveable. there was alot of oil on the tranny and clutch fork so alot of people said it was oil contamination. it got to the point where the disc would not release from the flywheel. i even tried sticking a putty knife between the disc and the flywheel and it would not break free. i even tried to break if free by driving still nothing.

so today we pulled the tranny the disc looks awesome and its dry as a bone. the bearing the input shaft rides on is great and moves freely. bell housing is tight. the disc slides on the input shaft splines really nice and its not sloppy or tight at all. im replacing the seal on the input shaft as well as the gasket on that little housing. one thing i found was when the pressure plate was removes is theres weights or something clanking around in there this is all new mcloud stuff the flywheel is new. the t.o. bearing is great too. the input shaft itself spins great needing only 2 fingers to spin it.

everything only thing i found one of the bolts that held the tranny crossmember to the car was a little loose for some reason.

any suggestions at all here? i was kinda hoping the disc was covered in oil at least there would be a obvious reason.

Re: clutch and shifting issues [Re: skelator] #1299866
09/08/12 08:22 PM
09/08/12 08:22 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

ok a while ago i posted i was having shifting issues with my new clutch. (1969 charger new 440) i made an adjustment and all was well for about 150 miles. it gradually started getting worse till it became undriveable. there was alot of oil on the tranny and clutch fork so alot of people said it was oil contamination. it got to the point where the disc would not release from the flywheel. i even tried sticking a putty knife between the disc and the flywheel and it would not break free. i even tried to break if free by driving still nothing.

so today we pulled the tranny the disc looks awesome and its dry as a bone. the bearing the input shaft rides on is great and moves freely. bell housing is tight. the disc slides on the input shaft splines really nice and its not sloppy or tight at all. im replacing the seal on the input shaft as well as the gasket on that little housing. one thing i found was when the pressure plate was removes is theres weights or something clanking around in there this is all new mcloud stuff the flywheel is new. the t.o. bearing is great too. the input shaft itself spins great needing only 2 fingers to spin it.

everything only thing i found one of the bolts that held the tranny crossmember to the car was a little loose for some reason.

any suggestions at all here? i was kinda hoping the disc was covered in oil at least there would be a obvious reason.

New parts wear in It needs adjusting again after seating Now that you fix the seals and gaskets go have some fun, get use to adjusting the clutch, especailly after beating on it 4 speed are GREAT, but they do require maintenance

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: clutch and shifting issues [Re: Cab_Burge] #1299867
09/08/12 08:48 PM
09/08/12 08:48 PM
S
skelator Offline OP
skelator  Offline OP
S

i adjusted it in every possible direction using the threaded rod and the car was totally unshiftable.

Re: clutch and shifting issues [Re: skelator] #1299868
09/08/12 09:31 PM
09/08/12 09:31 PM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline
super stock
kilroy  Offline
super stock

Iowa State fan
If its a B&B type plate, the weights clanking around inside are probably that. Throw out weights that add clamping pressure as the RPMS climb. I agree, new clutch, and ground flywheel break in and need one or two adjustment they settle in and a continual adjustment if you run/slip it hard.

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: clutch and shifting issues [Re: kilroy] #1299869
09/09/12 01:11 AM
09/09/12 01:11 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
All the B bodys I've owned and driven had to have the clutches adjusted so there was very little free play in the pedal before the pedal would make the throw out bearing touch the finges on the clutch, have some one sit in the car while you look at the throw out bearing travel from under the car, it is doesnt have a scatter sheild. Adust the clutch linkage so it barely has any free play on the pedal before the throw out bearing starts to move It needs to start disengaging the clutch right away way up high on the clutch pedal

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)