turbobitt Online content
super stock
turbobitt  Online Content
super stock
T

Southington Ct.
Quote:

Quote:

On the Fuel Pump questions. I would never run just 1 fuel pump with boost. If for some reason it shuts down it could be a very expensive lesson to learn. You want to OVER fuel pump it. Tons of guys on theturboforums.com use the Walbro GSL-392's. They pump some serious fuel and are good up to 600 Boosted EFI HP Each. They cost $100.00 each, are quieter than the Magnafuel, Aeromotive etc. They will lift fuel, act as a dead head if you are turning multiple pumps on at different times "Boost or NOS" etc and are Super Reliable. No Fuel Pump Controller needed!!
I am running Triplets on mine. Dual 10an feeds off the Fuel Cell to the Manifold with a single 10an to the regulator, 8an return. This set up is good for 1600 Boosted EFI HP and cost right at $500.00 for the manifolds, fittings etc to set up.

i strongley disagree with this therory, Actually its opposite If you run one pump and it stops working your engine shuts off with no fuel to burn(been there done that)no harm no fowl. If you run multiple pumps and one stops working you take the chance of leaning the engine out and burning it up

X2 = Single belt driven pump is the best if space permits.

Allan G.

1970 Challenger w/572 Hemi street car and my pride and joy. 1986 T-Type with 272 Stage 2 Buick V6 engine - True 8 second street car. Just updated the engine and put down 928 HP @ 35# boost to the ground on chasis dyno. 1976 Cee Bee Avenger Jet Boat - 460 Ford powered.
Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: turbobitt] #1299263
10/08/12 12:24 PM
10/08/12 12:24 PM
California
Mad Dart Offline
Mad Dart  Offline

California
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On the Fuel Pump questions. I would never run just 1 fuel pump with boost. If for some reason it shuts down it could be a very expensive lesson to learn. You want to OVER fuel pump it. Tons of guys on theturboforums.com use the Walbro GSL-392's. They pump some serious fuel and are good up to 600 Boosted EFI HP Each. They cost $100.00 each, are quieter than the Magnafuel, Aeromotive etc. They will lift fuel, act as a dead head if you are turning multiple pumps on at different times "Boost or NOS" etc and are Super Reliable. No Fuel Pump Controller needed!!
I am running Triplets on mine. Dual 10an feeds off the Fuel Cell to the Manifold with a single 10an to the regulator, 8an return. This set up is good for 1600 Boosted EFI HP and cost right at $500.00 for the manifolds, fittings etc to set up.

i strongley disagree with this therory, Actually its opposite If you run one pump and it stops working your engine shuts off with no fuel to burn(been there done that)no harm no fowl. If you run multiple pumps and one stops working you take the chance of leaning the engine out and burning it up

Allan G.

On a Street Strip car, what about the Semi Truck that is going to T Bone you because your car died in the middle of the intersection?? Very Expensive and you could loose your life in the process also. Just something else to ponder on.

Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: Mad Dart] #1299264
10/08/12 12:34 PM
10/08/12 12:34 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

If you run one pump and it stops working your engine shuts off with no fuel to burn(been there done that)no harm no fowl.

Was this a boosted or NA engine? Did it die under boost or ???

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: Fury Fan] #1299265
10/08/12 02:29 PM
10/08/12 02:29 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Quote:

Quote:

If you run one pump and it stops working your engine shuts off with no fuel to burn(been there done that)no harm no fowl.

Was this a boosted or NA engine? Did it die under boost or ???

any fuel injected engine will just shut down

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: Mad Dart] #1299266
10/08/12 02:31 PM
10/08/12 02:31 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Allan G.

On a Street Strip car, what about the Semi Truck that is going to T Bone you because your car died in the middle of the intersection?? Very Expensive and you could loose your life in the process also. Just something else to ponder on.

seriously? What about that throttle cable your going to use, or even the ecm could go bad, or the battery wire could fall off or the trans could break or...............................

maybe you shouldn't pull out in front of anybody

Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: bigtimeauto] #1299267
10/08/12 02:39 PM
10/08/12 02:39 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
But what if a pump dies a 'slow' death, or output starts to quickly drop off, over a few seconds? This could cause a big problem for an engine under boost or N2O, not so much for an NA car. Mad Dart's idea would give an attentive driver a *small* window of opportunity to get off the throttle and maybe limp home. On the flip side, he has 2x as many pumps that might fail.

Not trying to be argumentative, just to understand. (I've had an EFI engine stutter for 2-3 secs due to insufficient fuel, while driving, and it didn't shut off).

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: Fury Fan] #1299268
10/08/12 03:24 PM
10/08/12 03:24 PM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

But what if a pump dies a 'slow' death, or output starts to quickly drop off, over a few seconds? This could cause a big problem for an engine under boost or N2O, not so much for an NA car. Mad Dart's idea would give an attentive driver a *small* window of opportunity to get off the throttle and maybe limp home. On the flip side, he has 2x as many pumps that might fail.

Not trying to be argumentative, just to understand. (I've had an EFI engine stutter for 2-3 secs due to insufficient fuel, while driving, and it didn't shut off).

Insufficient Fuel= Getting Fuel but not enough which will eventually and very quickly generate a Lean condition Roaching a Piston, Head Gasket, etc etc ESPECIALLY so in a Boosted or N2O application.

Dead Fuel Pump= No Fuel, So at worst it shuts down and you're walking home with the expense of replacing a Fuel Pump not a toasted engine.

To cover just about all the WHAT IF scenarios that have been brought up. Use a Mechanical/Belt driven pump bigger than you really need. It's either going to work or it isn't. NONE of the Starting to Fail or cutting out which electric pumps like to do.

Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: DakFink] #1299269
10/08/12 03:47 PM
10/08/12 03:47 PM
Southington Ct.
T
turbobitt Online content
super stock
turbobitt  Online Content
super stock
T

Southington Ct.
Quote:

Quote:

Insufficient Fuel= Getting Fuel but not enough which will eventually and very quickly generate a Lean condition Roaching a Piston, Head Gasket, etc etc ESPECIALLY so in a Boosted or N2O application.

Dead Fuel Pump= No Fuel, So at worst it shuts down and you're walking home with the expense of replacing a Fuel Pump not a toasted engine.

To cover just about all the WHAT IF scenarios that have been brought up. Use a Mechanical/Belt driven pump bigger than you really need. It's either going to work or it isn't. NONE of the Starting to Fail or cutting out which electric pumps like to do.

I think the bottom line is that you need to be smart on the data logging capability and have a channel dedicated to fuel pressure. I was able to identify a weak pump on the dyno and stopped upping the boost until I replaced the pump.

Allan G.

1970 Challenger w/572 Hemi street car and my pride and joy. 1986 T-Type with 272 Stage 2 Buick V6 engine - True 8 second street car. Just updated the engine and put down 928 HP @ 35# boost to the ground on chasis dyno. 1976 Cee Bee Avenger Jet Boat - 460 Ford powered.
Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: turbobitt] #1299270
10/08/12 07:55 PM
10/08/12 07:55 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Quote:

I think the bottom line is that you need to be smart
Allan G.

I fixed it for you, this just about covers it.

Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: bigtimeauto] #1299271
10/08/12 09:08 PM
10/08/12 09:08 PM
Holly, MI
JackGTX440 Offline
mopar
JackGTX440  Offline
mopar

Holly, MI
I totally agree with first choice being belt/mechanical, then one big single electric as my second choice. For the reasons stated above.

Jack Irons Jr. '67 GTX, turbo 6.1 HEMI
Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: turbobitt] #1299272
10/08/12 11:08 PM
10/08/12 11:08 PM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes a Fuel Pressure gauge is one of your most crucial gauges when running boost and/or EFI.

I think the bottom line is that you need to be smart on the data logging capability and have a channel dedicated to fuel pressure. I was able to identify a weak pump on the dyno and stopped upping the boost until I replaced the pump.

Allan G.

Re: Turbo Build for the duster info please [Re: bigtimeauto] #1299273
10/09/12 06:25 PM
10/09/12 06:25 PM
California
Mad Dart Offline
Mad Dart  Offline

California
Yeah and I should just stop breathing too. I know.
I am running EFI so my ECU will pick up the lean condition and the safety parameters I have set will go into effect at that time if my FP or Lamda safety feature's are triggered.

First pump is on at start up. Second pump joins the show at 4psi, third pump comes in at 8psi or NOS Hit, whichever don't matter. Of course I can change these setting whenever or however I want in any configuration I choose. This is just an example.

I do like the Belt Driven Pump Idea but I have no room.

I didn't post what I am doing to start a war but I guess it has??

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6