Buzzardbreath Wyoming
B
BigBird Offline OP
pro stock
BigBird  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Buzzardbreath Wyoming
I'm doing an engine rebuild on an early 80's /6 and the engine kit came with a new hydraulic cam and lifters when the one I took out was a solid lifter motor. The question is can I use the old adjustable rockers and set them to solid specs or should I get a new hydraulic rocker set up? Also will the solid rocker motor let the hydraulic lifters work correctly?

Re: Slant six rockers [Re: BigBird] #1266366
07/12/12 12:31 PM
07/12/12 12:31 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
You can use the adjustable rockers but will need the proper length push rods (solid lifter pr's are way too long). Be cheaper and easier to pick up a set of rockers and push rods at a u pull it yard.

Re: Slant six rockers [Re: MoparforLife] #1266367
07/12/12 01:09 PM
07/12/12 01:09 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Adjustable rockers will not work on a hydraulic cam. No how, no way.

The hydraulic rockers send the oil to the lifters through the pushrods. Adjustable rockers don't have the oil passages in them to do that.

When setting up a hydraulic cam, the valve stem lengths must be equal. You have no adjustability. You "adjust" by changing pushrod length if needed, and that can get pricey if you don't measure correctly.

RAS used to have rebuilt rockers. I have not dalt with them since they changed hands though. I have heard rumors that their customer service is lacking.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Slant six rockers [Re: BigBird] #1266368
07/12/12 01:12 PM
07/12/12 01:12 PM
USA
B
b54406barrel Offline
master
b54406barrel  Offline
master
B

USA
Quote:

Also will the solid rocker motor let the hydraulic lifters work correctly?

I just built my first one of these a few months back. I did a little research on them & it seems like I remember on the slant6.com website that hyd. lifters won't work in a solid's block. I sure could be wrong though and I'd recommend looking at some of the articles on that website or the 'for a body only', website. I have to say there's surprisingly good power from the 225 I built.

Re: Slant six rockers [Re: slantzilla] #1266369
07/12/12 06:10 PM
07/12/12 06:10 PM
Buzzardbreath Wyoming
B
BigBird Offline OP
pro stock
BigBird  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Buzzardbreath Wyoming
Quote:

Adjustable rockers will not work on a hydraulic cam. No how, no way.

The hydraulic rockers send the oil to the lifters through the pushrods. Adjustable rockers don't have the oil passages in them to do that.

When setting up a hydraulic cam, the valve stem lengths must be equal. You have no adjustability. You "adjust" by changing pushrod length if needed, and that can get pricey if you don't measure correctly.

RAS used to have rebuilt rockers. I have not dalt with them since they changed hands though. I have heard rumors that their customer service is lacking.

So do I get a set of hydraulic rockers and push rods or get a solid lifter cam and lifters? I can get a rocker assembly for about $150 without the push rods. Will the lifters oil from the top end then?

Re: Slant six rockers [Re: BigBird] #1266370
07/12/12 06:32 PM
07/12/12 06:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All 1981 and later slant sixes were factory equipped with hydraulic lifters, which is why your kit gave you a hydraulic lifter cam. Either your engine isn't actually an early 80's slant, or someone converted to solid lifters at some point.

Slant six blocks were never cross drilled for hydraulic lifters. When hydraulic cams became necessary to reduce emissions levels, a "Canadian engineer at the Windsor Plant working with the tappet supplier came up with the idea of feeding oil to the tappets by transferring the oil down through the hollow push rods from the cylinder heads where there already was oil available under pressure for lubricating the valve train." Dec/Winter 1992 issue of the Slant 6 News: History of the Slant Six engine, Part 2.

You'll note that although oiling through the pushrods is also used by SBC/AMC/Mopar Magums (and others), they all oil the rockers from the lifters instead of oiling the lifters from the rockers as the hydraulic-cammed slant six does.

Re: Slant six rockers #1266371
07/12/12 06:57 PM
07/12/12 06:57 PM
USA
B
b54406barrel Offline
master
b54406barrel  Offline
master
B

USA
Here's a link to one of the articles on /6 variations through the years. I think it's pages 6 & 7 (8?) that refer to hyd/solid lifter valve train differences. Anyway, it's a good article. Those guys on the /6 forum really know their stuff, too.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/sa-franks-book/sadesign-frank-sl6chapter.htm

Re: Slant six rockers [Re: BigBird] #1266372
07/12/12 08:18 PM
07/12/12 08:18 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

So do I get a set of hydraulic rockers and push rods or get a solid lifter cam and lifters? I can get a rocker assembly for about $150 without the push rods. Will the lifters oil from the top end then?

You can do it either way, but you have to use complete assemblies either way you go. No mixing of parts between systems.

Hydraulic cam and lifters need the hydraulic rockers.

Solid lifters and cam need adjustable rockers/pushrods.

There are no oil provisions in the block on any year. Solid lifters were oiled by the drainback from the top, hydraulic lifters are oiled from the top down through the rockers/pushrods.

A hydraulic camshaft will have a full groovein the rear journal. This how how they send more oil to the top to send to the lifters.

A solid cam will just have a metering hole in the back journal.

A solid sytem is actually a lot easier to set up and maintain. As I said before, the hydraulic system needs the stem heights equal or you will get noisy valves.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Slant six rockers [Re: slantzilla] #1266373
07/13/12 12:02 AM
07/13/12 12:02 AM
Buzzardbreath Wyoming
B
BigBird Offline OP
pro stock
BigBird  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Buzzardbreath Wyoming
Quote:

Quote:

You can do it either way, but you have to use complete assemblies either way you go. No mixing of parts between systems.

Hydraulic cam and lifters need the hydraulic rockers.

Solid lifters and cam need adjustable rockers/pushrods.

There are no oil provisions in the block on any year. Solid lifters were oiled by the drainback from the top, hydraulic lifters are oiled from the top down through the rockers/pushrods.

A hydraulic camshaft will have a full groovein the rear journal. This how how they send more oil to the top to send to the lifters.

A solid cam will just have a metering hole in the back journal.

A solid sytem is actually a lot easier to set up and maintain. As I said before, the hydraulic system needs the stem heights equal or you will get noisy valves.

The engine kit was set up for the hydraulic cam with the full grooved rear journal which is already installed. The rockers and shaft are not in the best of shape and should be replaced anyway. I can come up with a new rocker assembly but will need the pushrods also. I have the head installed and can't change the lifters without pulling the head so that would require a new gasket as well. Also I would have to buy a new cam with solid lifters as the original one was as wore out as I've ever seen. I think I'll go with a hydraulic set up.