09/26/08 10:03 PM
09/26/08 10:03 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I agree with ya Randy as far as weird options on E bodies,....seems the early 70 production cars were either equipped with oddball stuff, or a lack of what would become common.......early 71 Cars seemed to suffer an identity crisis, haveing sometimes a mix of left over 70 parts installed .....but E bodies rule! ....no question!

Re: louver back window moulding [Re: DAYCLONA] #125334
09/26/08 11:48 PM
09/26/08 11:48 PM
NY
70440+6bbl Offline
master
70440+6bbl  Offline
master

NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So...Am I reading this right...The challenger could have had an organisol painted back glass trim with the rear window louvers ?????

That is what Mike mentioned,

Randy......about 3 decades of parting out E bodies, probally a few hundred cars?......(between me and Chet Greenwood, we probally culled quite a few hundred E bodies on the east coast!).....I use to avg 3 cars a month, every month,year after year... not counting the ones in salvage yards that I stripped.....generally ALMOST all of the black vinyal topped 70-1 Grand Coupes had black textured trim, ...not all though........rear window louvered cars were SCARCE!.....usally 99 percent of the time the louvers were gone, or totaly trashed,.....I've only had 2 70 Challengers(parts cars) that were equipped with black vinyl tops and had rear window louvers, although the louvers were "swiped" from both cars, their trim was intact,.....black organsol painted, I stripped one set to refinish for my T/A,.....just raw stainless, no polished finish, seeing that I have 2 sets, the same, I would assume this is how the factory may have finished some cars?....if not all?...It's just like when you see a E body 3 spoke woodgrain steering wheel with a half rim horn ring?......the same with the Challenger black rear window trim......may have been an early option, or treatment later dropped?.......I didn't document the cars

Mike,

Did you ever go to a guy's body shop in Worcester owned by a guy named Wayne (IIRC)? He had a persnal Mopar salvage yard in the back of the shop with a bunch or real hi-po cars for parts! Chet beat me to a '70 340 4-spd FJ5 louver/go wing car that showed up one weekend. I got the lid from the car and got the wing off of Chet. I have pics of the car and it clearly shows regular stainless moldings. Chet cut the 4-spd hump out and went right through the tran X-member! A real shame, ended up a parts car because the roof was cut for a sunroof It was a very clean original paint car, but this was around '91, and 340 cars had no real value at the time

Page 2 of 2 1 2