Print Thread
TransGo HD2 Shift Kit #1252862
06/17/12 11:26 PM
06/17/12 11:26 PM
Commack NY USA
2Red2LoudDodge Offline OP
2Red2LoudDodge  Offline OP

Commack NY USA
Hope this topic has been beaten to death in the past. I'm rebuilding my 727 behind a mildly worked 440 in a few weeks. Mostly street driving and some performance use. I've read positive comments about installing a shift kit. But, I've also read quite a few help posts from guys with less than positive results. In fact, the guy I bought the car from put one in and took it out but wouldn't elaborate why.

Opinions appreciated along with any pitfalls to avoid?

Re: TransGo HD2 Shift Kit [Re: 2Red2LoudDodge] #1252863
06/18/12 12:22 AM
06/18/12 12:22 AM
Canada's West Coast
G
Graham Offline
Graham  Offline
G

Canada's West Coast
No reason not to use the Transgo Shift kit. I've sold transmission parts to virtually every transmission shop in Western Canada, and Transgo hands down was the one they prefered. There was a company called Superior that came out with shift kits I believe in the 90's and some builders prefered them for front wheel drive GM's in particular.
The biggest problems I've seen with shift kits, is the person installing them DOESN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I had a guy come into our warehouse one day complaining that the kit he'd bought for his GM TH350 caused him to lose 1st and 2nd gear. He put the box down on the counter and there were a lot of left over parts. I asked why he didn't use all the parts as the instructions tell you to, and he said that a buddy of his said they weren't needed. I asked if his buddy was a transmission builder or a mechanic and he said no. Nice wasted valve body now.
What some have found, myself included is the Transgo TF2 kit shifts a little to harsh for their liking. If you want a firm shift, then use the TF1 from Transgo. By the way, a HARD shift is not necessarily a good shift. What you want from a kit is to cut down on the time clutch packs are applied.
Any how, go with the transgo TF2 or TF1. You said that the kit number was a TF2HD2. Make sure it's not a TFODHD2. That kit is for the A518 series overdrive transmission and WON'T work on your TF727.
By the way, I believe that Gil Younger (the founder of TRANSGO), was the inventor of shift improver kits, and most other kits copy his thinking in many ways.

Re: TransGo HD2 Shift Kit [Re: Graham] #1252864
06/18/12 12:46 AM
06/18/12 12:46 AM
Kent, Wa
340SHORTY Offline
Truck Nut
340SHORTY  Offline
Truck Nut

Kent, Wa
iv had 4 727 trannys with shift kits. The 1 I installed in my 71 RRwas a kit from Art Carr. I never had a problem with it.
I had the Trans Go kits in 3 727s. I installed 2 of them and 1 was installed by a tranny shop. They all worked fine under street driving. BUT every time I took the cars with the Trans Go kits to the drags I would have to drop the pan the next day. The accumulator vale snap ring would get pushed out causing the piston to put to much pressure on the rear band lever resulting in the tranny to not work right.. I would install a new snap ring and all would be fine till the next time to the drags. Thank god for having a trailer. Kinda humble to need to trailer a low 14 second car to the track..

I am truckless..
Re: TransGo HD2 Shift Kit [Re: 340SHORTY] #1252865
06/18/12 12:53 AM
06/18/12 12:53 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

iv had 4 727 trannys with shift kits. The 1 I installed in my 71 RRwas a kit from Art Carr. I never had a problem with it.
I had the Trans Go kits in 3 727s. I installed 2 of them and 1 was installed by a tranny shop. They all worked fine under street driving. BUT every time I took the cars with the Trans Go kits to the drags I would have to drop the pan the next day. The accumulator vale snap ring would get pushed out causing the piston to put to much pressure on the rear band lever resulting in the tranny to not work right.. I would install a new snap ring and all would be fine till the next time to the drags. Thank god for having a trailer. Kinda humble to need to trailer a low 14 second car to the track..

Sorry but that's too funny!!

Re: TransGo HD2 Shift Kit [Re: Graham] #1252866
06/18/12 12:55 AM
06/18/12 12:55 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

No reason not to use the Transgo Shift kit. I've sold transmission parts to virtually every transmission shop in Western Canada, and Transgo hands down was the one they prefered. There was a company called Superior that came out with shift kits I believe in the 90's and some builders prefered them for front wheel drive GM's in particular.
The biggest problems I've seen with shift kits, is the person installing them DOESN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I had a guy come into our warehouse one day complaining that the kit he'd bought for his GM TH350 caused him to lose 1st and 2nd gear. He put the box down on the counter and there were a lot of left over parts. I asked why he didn't use all the parts as the instructions tell you to, and he said that a buddy of his said they weren't needed. I asked if his buddy was a transmission builder or a mechanic and he said no. Nice wasted valve body now.
What some have found, myself included is the Transgo TF2 kit shifts a little to harsh for their liking. If you want a firm shift, then use the TF1 from Transgo. By the way, a HARD shift is not necessarily a good shift. What you want from a kit is to cut down on the time clutch packs are applied.
Any how, go with the transgo TF2 or TF1. You said that the kit number was a TF2HD2. Make sure it's not a TFODHD2. That kit is for the A518 series overdrive transmission and WON'T work on your TF727.
By the way, I believe that Gil Younger (the founder of TRANSGO), was the inventor of shift improver kits, and most other kits copy his thinking in many ways.

The Transgo kits work well for most and I agree that many issues are caused by the installer.