Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline OP
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline OP
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
I am wanting to run an all MSD ignition setup and Summit lists two different MSD distributors.
It will be installed on a 70 Charger with 512RB and 4speed.
I am running a Hughes Cam.

MSD standard -which is designed to use with a MSD 6,7 or 8 series ignition box....but it doesnt show a vacuum cannister on it.

And

MSD ready to run- which supposedly can operate without a separate ignition box....and does have a vacuum canister on it.

Which would be the better distributor to use?
Will I need to replace anything else in order to run either of these distributors?

Re: Which MSD distributor to buy & what else is needed? [Re: Blakcharger440] #1247456
06/08/12 08:12 PM
06/08/12 08:12 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

I am wanting to run an all MSD ignition setup and Summit lists two different MSD distributors.
It will be installed on a 70 Charger with 512RB and 4speed.
I am running a Hughes Cam.

MSD standard -which is designed to use with a MSD 6,7 or 8 series ignition box....but it doesnt show a vacuum cannister on it.

And

MSD ready to run- which supposedly can operate without a separate ignition box....and does have a vacuum canister on it.

Which would be the better distributor to use?
Will I need to replace anything else in order to run either of these distributors?

assuming this is for a street driven car my advice is to go with the ready to run with vacuum advance. no experience with the dizzy (way to rich for my blood) but i've used the rest of the products and couldn't be happier.

Re: Which MSD distributor to buy & what else is needed? [Re: Blakcharger440] #1247457
06/08/12 09:35 PM
06/08/12 09:35 PM
tucson az
F
frank Offline
top fuel
frank  Offline
top fuel
F

tucson az
I used the MSD Pro Billet. Everything is contained in the unit. It operates without a box. Just three wires to hook up. You can add a box if you want more control. When my engine was dyno'd I did a comparison with the Pro Billet and a brand new MP unit. The MSD made more a little more power but more importantly the power was much more consistent than the MP unit. You could see this on the dyno. I don't know if it would make a difference under actual operating conditions.

Re: Which MSD distributor to buy & what else is needed? [Re: frank] #1247458
06/08/12 09:43 PM
06/08/12 09:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The MSD's come with the wrong springs installed--why who knows but..take any MSD and install the black stop bushing and one of the light blue springs along with one of the lightest springs--this will give you the initial advance desired on most performance engines and limit the mechanical --will work great in 90 % of hot rod builds--ALWAYS spray the MSD reluctor with WD40 and them blow it off with air hose--they are some crazy kind of metal that WILL corode in a massive way sooner or later--this tip helps keep that at bay--ask anyone that has had one over a year or so and they can describe the horrible orange crust that will stop one in its tracks--I would go Pro billet with no vacuum--

Re: Which MSD distributor to buy & what else is needed? [Re: frank] #1247459
06/09/12 01:46 PM
06/09/12 01:46 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Quote:

I used the MSD Pro Billet. Everything is contained in the unit. It operates without a box. Just three wires to hook up. You can add a box if you want more control. When my engine was dyno'd I did a comparison with the Pro Billet and a brand new MP unit. The MSD made more a little more power but more importantly the power was much more consistent than the MP unit. You could see this on the dyno. I don't know if it would make a difference under actual operating conditions.

I run a 'pro billet'. It is a two wire unit that strictly triggers my 6AL box and provides mechanical advance. I bought some bushings to limit the advance since I run 21* initial and 34 total. I think the largest MSD bushing provides 18* mechanical which would put my total at 39*.

The nice thing is being able to swap out the springs and bushing to tune the advance curve and amount. Hot rods often need a lot of initial timing which requires dissassembly and welding and filing slots in a stock distributor. Also it is a rock solid all new piece. The cons are the corrosion that builds up on the terminals every year or so, the price of MSD caps which have to be ordered and are not on the shelf at pep boys, and the lack of vac. advance for cruising economy on the street.

The average setup using a Pro-billet will need the distributor, an ignition box, a matching coil, and wires.