Saskatchewan, Canada
B
barracudabob Offline OP
super stock
barracudabob  Offline OP
super stock
B

Saskatchewan, Canada
Does anyone have a picture of a Volare/Aspen front subframe? I've never looked at one close. Do the upper control arms attach to the subframe? For swapping, is it simply a matter of putting it in the right place, and bolting it in? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bob

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: barracudabob] #1244575
06/03/12 12:54 AM
06/03/12 12:54 AM
NEW JERSEY
D
dynamite Offline
pro stock
dynamite  Offline
pro stock
D

NEW JERSEY
It is a very easy install,4 bolts,some hoses ,,brake lines.....line it up properly. I have it in my 56..torsion bars and upper control arms come with the K frame.P/S box and the disc brakes all together..

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: dynamite] #1244576
06/03/12 09:07 PM
06/03/12 09:07 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
When you install the subframe into something other then a Volare/Aspen, 5th Ave or Diplomat, you will need to make the locations for the k-member to bolt to. The front 2 mounts are 4" on center wider then the rear 2 mounts are. Seems like the rear 2 mounts are 34" on center, and the fronts are 38" on center, but I may be wrong on the measurements, its been a while. Also, to sit correctly I think the rear mounts are an inch lower in elevation then the front mounts, from level. I also think you have to notch the top outer sections of any tubing for clearance at the upper control arm mounting brackets.

Once the frame is modified to accept the subframe, you have to remove the steering box (3 bolts) and both upper control arm brackets (4 bolts each side) to install the k-member to your newly modified frame (4 big bolts). Once the subframe is bolted to the frame, you can bolt back on the steering box and the upper control arm brackets.

What are you thinking about putting the subframe on? Gene

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: poorboy] #1244577
06/03/12 10:48 PM
06/03/12 10:48 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
B
barracudabob Offline OP
super stock
barracudabob  Offline OP
super stock
B

Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a 51 Fargo pickup. Its in rough shape, mechanically, and I would like to redo it, with modern parts. I will keep it all Mopar, I just hate when I see one with a 350/350 combo. I have access to an Aspen for reasonable price, which would provide the clip, motor, trans, rear end, brake booster, and miscellaneous other pieces. Thanks, Bob

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: barracudabob] #1244578
06/03/12 11:18 PM
06/03/12 11:18 PM
Durham, NC
motomatt383 Offline
mopar
motomatt383  Offline
mopar

Durham, NC
I have the book, "how to Volare anything" great book. but I can't seem to locate a current vender for it. but here's a link I have saved into my bookmarks

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/frontend/volarie_survival.pdf

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: barracudabob] #1244579
06/04/12 10:38 AM
06/04/12 10:38 AM
Thayer, MO
B
bohmer2 Offline
pro stock
bohmer2  Offline
pro stock
B

Thayer, MO
Quote:

I have a 51 Fargo pickup. Its in rough shape, mechanically, and I would like to redo it, with modern parts. I will keep it all Mopar, I just hate when I see one with a 350/350 combo. I have access to an Aspen for reasonable price, which would provide the clip, motor, trans, rear end, brake booster, and miscellaneous other pieces. Thanks, Bob

If you are going to modern parts, search this forum and look at all the Dakota Swaps. While there is nothing wrong with the Volare swap, Dakota parts are easier to come by and donors are more abundant.

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: bohmer2] #1244580
06/04/12 02:39 PM
06/04/12 02:39 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Actually there IS something wrong with the Volare swap - it's a horrible suspension. It was designed when Chrysler was sinking in the '70s. The transverse torsion bars were put there so they could keep bragging about "torsion bar ride". The suspension has bump steer and other problems when the car is in motion. In short, its a bad design.
My friend who was a board member had a mid-50s ford truck that had this suspension. He said it took him many trips to the alignment shop and a lot of $$$ to get it to go down the road straight.
Now the setup may be as tough as nails, but an ill-handling car is an abomination. I have to believe the Dak front end is better.

R.

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: dogdays] #1244581
06/04/12 11:48 PM
06/04/12 11:48 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Having built 3 rides with the Volare/Aspen clip, and having done 2 Dakota clip/full frame rides, hands down the Dakota wins. Its easier to find, easier to mount, fits better, is more modern then the Volare, and when your done, the Dakota handles and rides better (OK ,maybe not ride better), but much more firm and stable ride, the Volare was a nice soft ride, unfortunately, it felt like mush if you took a corner too fast.

That 51 Fargo will fit on a Dakota frame very nicely. The Volare would be worth grabbing if it was priced right, there are a lot of do-dads that come in handy from them.

I have a complete Volare k-member sitting here that will probably end up scrap, I'm not building another Volare clipped car. Gene

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: poorboy] #1244582
06/21/12 10:46 PM
06/21/12 10:46 PM
IL
B
bohmr1 Offline
bohmr1  Offline
B

IL
I replaced the rubber bushings with cast iron. Rides just a little stiffer, but handles much better. I have a Mopar Performance kit if anyone is interested.

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: bohmr1] #1244583
07/02/12 09:28 PM
07/02/12 09:28 PM
NEW JERSEY
D
dynamite Offline
pro stock
dynamite  Offline
pro stock
D

NEW JERSEY
Before you knock the aspen type sub frame ..why not talk to one of the guys who designed it for Chrysler..Mr P Body.... he's on here all the time..

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: dynamite] #1244584
07/02/12 10:04 PM
07/02/12 10:04 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

Before you knock the aspen type sub frame ..why not talk to one of the guys who designed it for Chrysler..Mr P Body.... he's on here all the time..

Nothing against MR P Body (don't know him) but at the time the F body subframe was in the design stages, Mopar was on the edge of bankruptcy (the 1st round) and I suspect the engineers were very restricted as to what they were allowed to do.

I have some real life experience with the F,M. & J body front suspension and its weak points. I put several through the ringer on a dirt track, and built 3 hot rods using the suspension system. The were what they were, with some very weak points and some strong points as well. They were a good option in the 80s and the 90s, but in this century, there are better options available. If your going to go through the work of installing a front suspension on a fresh built car, why wouldn't you want to use the best choice available to you within your budget?

All I am saying is there are better options for fit, function, and ease of construction then an F,M & J body clip spending the same money. Gene

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: poorboy] #1244585
07/03/12 08:34 AM
07/03/12 08:34 AM
NEW JERSEY
D
dynamite Offline
pro stock
dynamite  Offline
pro stock
D

NEW JERSEY
To each his own, I'm happy with my install..(.Mr P body was a moderator on here for a long time)..I installed a Chrysler 5 th ave subframe in my 56 plymouth for $ 250.00...Now my 56 rides like a 1986 Chrysler.. got disc brakes and P/S..it rides smooth and straight..I bought the whole car for 250.00 with a hurt motor..got the steering colume and anything else I could take from the car..sold trans and interior and scrapped the rest and made money..and the 56 runs a consistant 11.7 @ 114.. very happy at that speed,car is well known on here..

7275241-larrys56small.jpg (353 downloads)
Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: poorboy] #1244586
07/03/12 10:52 PM
07/03/12 10:52 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Nothing against MR P Body (don't know him) but at the time the F body subframe was in the design stages, Mopar was on the edge of bankruptcy (the 1st round) and I suspect the engineers were very restricted as to what they were allowed to do.

I have some real life experience with the F,M. & J body front suspension and its weak points. I put several through the ringer on a dirt track, and built 3 hot rods using the suspension system. The were what they were, with some very weak points and some strong points as well. They were a good option in the 80s and the 90s, but in this century, there are better options available. If your going to go through the work of installing a front suspension on a fresh built car, why wouldn't you want to use the best choice available to you within your budget?

All I am saying is there are better options for fit, function, and ease of construction then an F,M & J body clip spending the same money. Gene

Let's get a few FACTS interjected into this statement.

The first F body came out as a 76 model, which means it was designed well before that. Chrysler went BANKRUPT ONCE and it wasn't in the 70's, it did get a bunch of loan guarantees in 79, several years after the F body went into production.

If tight budgets were indeed a factor, which they weren't, then Chrysler would have just soldiered on with the longitudinal setup and not developed the transverse system. I am sure that the transverse system had a number of things going for it over the longitudinal, such as packaging, ease of assembly on the line, and other non-performance oriented benefits. However, I totally and completely disagree with the claim that it is not a good setup. My 87 Diplomat would more than hold it's own against just about any commonly seen vehicle.

Bet Firm Feel would also disagree with you.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: barracudabob] #1244587
07/04/12 11:21 PM
07/04/12 11:21 PM
pa
17dodgebros Offline
17dodgebros  Offline

pa
what do complete subframe assemblies usually go for?

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: 17dodgebros] #1244588
07/04/12 11:35 PM
07/04/12 11:35 PM
NEW JERSEY
D
dynamite Offline
pro stock
dynamite  Offline
pro stock
D

NEW JERSEY
best way is to find a car complete,,,I have seen many 5 th aves and furys around for only a few hundred dollars...The aspens and Volares are getting rare,but the diplomats and others are still on the road..IMO

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: Supercuda] #1244589
07/05/12 12:21 AM
07/05/12 12:21 AM
Thayer, MO
B
bohmer2 Offline
pro stock
bohmer2  Offline
pro stock
B

Thayer, MO
Quote:

However, I totally and completely disagree with the claim that it is not a good setup.

The point remains that there are better options available today for street rods and especially Pilot house trucks. Dakotas are plentiful, easy to adapt, and have plenty of parts availability at nearly every parts store in the US.

The FMJ setup is becoming more difficult to find parts for, at least in stock at the part stores I frequent. I know lots of cars/trucks that were built with those front ends in the past. But in comparison Dakota parts are more available and many consider it to be a better cheaper option. That doesnt mean everyone should run out and change over their FMJ cars to Dakota suspensions, it just means for MANY (not ALL) it makes more sense to start with a Dakota than the FMJ.

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: bohmer2] #1244590
07/05/12 10:05 AM
07/05/12 10:05 AM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

RE: Chrysler problems in the '70s
The first fuel crisis hit in the early 70s. Chrysler had the antique A-body and nothing else to sell economy. They did have a lot of large engines and tanks. Sales fell.
The A-body at the time felt like an antique, no matter how good it might have been. Most Darts and Valiants looked like Grandma cars, and to drive one with a thrashy 225 was a chore. Seats were flat and uncomfortable. Dusters with 360s got all of 13 mpg, and they were pitched to the youth market not making up a large portion of sales.
The transverse torsion bar front end was dictated by the advertising department, not wanting give up years of advertising the superior "torsion bar ride". Using the end of the torsion bar as a suspension arm was an easy way to get it built, but at a sacrifice of bump steer and camber change with wheel movement. Chrysler engineers who worked on the project would probably look back on the project with disgust, maybe some pride at making the best of a bad situation.
The F-bodies were released a year early and it showed. Fenders rusted right off the cars, they were terrible. They got better but weren't so right out of the box. It took Chrysler several more years of death spiral to need the government loan guarantee, but there's no doubt that the '70s were a crisis time at Chrysler.

R.

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: dogdays] #1244591
07/05/12 11:58 AM
07/05/12 11:58 AM
NEW JERSEY
D
dynamite Offline
pro stock
dynamite  Offline
pro stock
D

NEW JERSEY
So what does fenders rusting have to do with the subframe...an 86 Chrysler 5th ave rides very well,,,as good or better then other manufacturers high end cars...ever drive an 86 lincoln ,,or The front wheel drive Caddy.. ????bottom line is for the time the FMJ sub frame worked well...newer stuff should be better and improved handeling..but for the dollar the FMJ does a good job ...I'll say no more !!!

Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: dogdays] #1244592
07/05/12 12:16 PM
07/05/12 12:16 PM
MA
G
Greg55_99 Offline
enthusiast
Greg55_99  Offline
enthusiast
G

MA
I resemble that last remark. Please allow me to state my point of view and I’ll bow out. I own a 1977 Volare Road Runner. I bought my car off of the lot in East Liverpool Ohio in 1978 as a leftover so I’ve had it from brand spankin’ new. Car had power steering, 14” bias ply tires, 318 two barrel and a 3 speed with overdrive transmission. My impressions are as I remember them. Clearly. Bone stock, the front suspension was adequate. Soft, but not firm. I wasn’t “canyon carving” in those days. Any sharp turns would result in a lot of body roll and tire squealing. Car went great in a straight line and was safe in most other conditions. No wandering and no “bump steer”. Steering was light but not quick. Shock damping was also good. In other words, a perfectly adequate setup for an everyday grocery getter.

In my case, things started to go wrong almost immediately. Fenders started to rust out, rear window de-fogger wire broke off, rear view mirror fell off, transmission would stick between gears, driveshaft vibrated. Fortunately for me, I’d invested in a new Craftsman tool set and most of these issues were put right (except the fenders which got taken care of by a Mopar recall). The front suspension held up nicely however…. Until I started to modify the car. I pulled the 318 with overdrive and swapped in a slightly warmed over 360 with a proper 4-speed. Rear end got replaced with an 8 ¾ out of a 69 Super Bee. Tires got up-gunned to FR70 15’s on Cop wheels. This was in 1979 or so. Things got bad. Car went faster in a straight line, but, still rolled and still squealed in tight turns. In 1980 I replaced the 360 with a warmed over 413. Had to swap to manual steering to get the exhaust manifolds to fit. Things went from bad to worse. As I’ve said previously, car became a nose heavy pig. Unpleasant to drive. Clearly the front transverse torsion bar suspension was out of its depth. It’s not the cars fault, but it is what it is and that’s the way it sits 33 years, 58 K miles and two wives later.

I’ve explored a multitude of options and settled on the Dakota front end for a swap. It’s more modern and can take the weight over the front wheels. Anyway, this is MY opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I might also add the following notes. In 1978, when I ran this car, I was a 23 year old steel mill worker with a fat wallet, a full head of hair and big dreams. In those days, after modding the car, I would have said: “This car sure is fast now, but it SUCKS to drive it! Gotta be something better!”. Nowadays, through good fortune and the grace of God, I’m a 57 year old Software Quality Assurance Engineer (still with a full head of hair). In “engineering speak”, I might amend that analysis and put it this way: “Problem: The vehicle’s front suspension parameters have been overwhelmed by demands placed upon it by customer modifications (in which we have no control over). This has led to a dramatic degradation of its performance. Since this particular design has reached EOL (End of Life), we have impressed upon the customer to upgrade to a more current product which CAN be serviced and will assuredly give him far more satisfaction than his old unit. Recommendation: Go Dakota…”

Greg

Last edited by Greg55_99; 07/05/12 01:47 PM.
Re: Volare/Aspen subframe [Re: Greg55_99] #1244593
07/07/12 06:47 AM
07/07/12 06:47 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
you have hair ? when i was 57, my ol man was bustin me all the time because he still had hair and i didn't ! [ he was 84 at the time...]