06/01/12 07:55 PM
06/01/12 07:55 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
so i've got a mopar hemi block, and a reproduction 70-71 oil pan. with the pickup screwed in as tight as it is going to go without using some external leverage on it, (about 4 threads on the pickup into the boss), and with both gaskets and the windage tray on there, the pickup holds the pan a good 1/4 inch or more from the gaskets.

these all being stock reproduction type parts, i assumed this would just fit.

do i just have to shorten the pickup to make this work?

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: mickm] #1243697
06/01/12 09:29 PM
06/01/12 09:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every day we have to "adjust" pick ups. I know it is a PIA but cut it, clean it up weld it back and keep rolling--I try and be very careful not to let grit etc get down in the end--put some paper towel or whatever in the tube before you clean the burrs etc Wire welder will do fine--some play dough comes in very handy to check pan to pick up room--Like I always tell folks that want to race or have a car--FIRST get a welder, grinders, files, mics, hammers, etc Then get a car and start working on parts. NOTHING comes out of the box fit to use as is. At sales look for old plumbers size dies for doing pipe thread--easy to score at an auction --you will always need the 1/2 and 3/8ths to do pick up work. Sometimes you can cut off that end and just rethread--harder than it sounds.

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: mickm] #1243698
06/02/12 12:44 AM
06/02/12 12:44 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

so i've got a mopar hemi block, and a reproduction 70-71 oil pan. with the pickup screwed in as tight as it is going to go without using some external leverage on it, (about 4 threads on the pickup into the boss), and with both gaskets and the windage tray on there, the pickup holds the pan a good 1/4 inch or more from the gaskets.

these all being stock reproduction type parts, i assumed this would just fit.

do i just have to shorten the pickup to make this work?

Use a pipe wrench, vize grips or some other device to tighten it up one more turn Another way is to it to the back of the sump to get clearances, lots of ways to make it fit, I would not cut and weld it though Maybe cut one or two threads off the end and try that , I've done that and retapped the pickup also BTW, I like to have the pickup barely touch the bottom of the pan, or no more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch off of the bottom. You can use the oil dipstick or a piece of coat hanger or welding rod and install the oil pan with all the gaskests, windage tray and so on and then remove the oil drain plug and check the oil pick up to oil pan bottom clearances that way

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 06/02/12 12:48 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: mickm] #1243699
06/02/12 01:28 AM
06/02/12 01:28 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Looks like your pick up is just long... I would do it
in 1 or 2 ways... measure up the threads on the PU
3/8" and mark it... cut it and re thread it... or
cut and weld... the tubing has a welded line on it
from when they make the tubing... figure the angle
on the PU and cut 3/8" out of it with a tubing cutter
and weld it back together lining up the weld line
on the tubing... I tig weld them all the time(no
splatter)you dont want any little weld balls breaking
free from a mig weld and getting into the pump...
file the inside edges after you make your cut and
blow it clean

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 06/02/12 08:46 AM.
Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1243700
06/02/12 08:21 AM
06/02/12 08:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is the problem with cutting welding???? NO big deal--Mopar has not shipped a freaking part worth a darn for years--we know they order it from WHOEVER makes it--they package it very poorly, then put a prt number onit they have been using since 1968 and they NEVER even look at it to see if it really is a pick up or a rocker arm--send it to us with NO warranty and keep on trucking--there is no problem with cutting and welding a pick up tube! Oh yea...FORCE it in another round? are you nuts! Pipe thread is tapered--Force it and you get broken block OR it stresses the threads and makes them break off later. The parts are made by folks that NEVER EVER quality control or check a darn thing--make it to the blueprints Mopar gives them that are decades old and ship it. We get stuck holding the bag every time--VERY few pick ups are Correct! Most need some work--pans from all over, China, etc, and no one that cares the least at MOPAR.
Even when you get a Melling pick up for stock application the threads are PRESSED on not cut and look like a 3rd grader did them--they Will not screw in without doing some machining as they go. Chase the threads to make sure they are correct, CUT the darn thing , weld it back and go on your merry way.

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: ] #1243701
06/02/12 08:26 AM
06/02/12 08:26 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok..."Are you nuts?" is too harsh a tone but...you can't advise a rookie in a way that will/may cause more harm than good. Forcing pipe threads on a 3/8ths pick up made of soft gooey metal is begging for it to fall off in the pan at some later point, it will simply streach the threads apart and make them very thin and a little vibration from running a while and ya gots trouble.
I give up gang

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: ] #1243702
06/02/12 08:43 AM
06/02/12 08:43 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

What is the problem with cutting welding???? NO big deal--Mopar has not shipped a freaking part worth a darn for years--we know they order it from WHOEVER makes it--they package it very poorly, then put a prt number onit they have been using since 1968 and they NEVER even look at it to see if it really is a pick up or a rocker arm--send it to us with NO warranty and keep on trucking--there is no problem with cutting and welding a pick up tube! Oh yea...FORCE it in another round? are you nuts! Pipe thread is tapered--Force it and you get broken block OR it stresses the threads and makes them break off later. The parts are made by folks that NEVER EVER quality control or check a darn thing--make it to the blueprints Mopar gives them that are decades old and ship it. We get stuck holding the bag every time--VERY few pick ups are Correct! Most need some work--pans from all over, China, etc, and no one that cares the least at MOPAR.
Even when you get a Melling pick up for stock application the threads are PRESSED on not cut and look like a 3rd grader did them--they Will not screw in without doing some machining as they go. Chase the threads to make sure they are correct, CUT the darn thing , weld it back and go on your merry way.

I know your not talking to me... I cut and weld them
all the time.... when you want to talk to a certain
person click on the reply or quote from THEIR post
instead of the last post in line.. then their name
shows up at the top of your post (just for your info)

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1243703
06/02/12 09:23 AM
06/02/12 09:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks!
Sorry to be so harsh ...Carry on

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: ] #1243704
06/02/12 09:27 AM
06/02/12 09:27 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry to be so harsh ...Carry on

LOL... its not harsh to me

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1243705
06/02/12 12:19 PM
06/02/12 12:19 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
well this has been an interesting thread to follow!

the guy whose shop i do a lot of work on my car at is an excellent tig welder, so we'll go ahead and cut it and re-weld.

so 1/4 inch or so off the bottom of the pan?

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: mickm] #1243706
06/02/12 02:18 PM
06/02/12 02:18 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

the guy whose shop i do a lot of work on my car at is an excellent tig welder, so we'll go ahead and cut it and re-weld.

Make it touch or no more than 1/4 inch from the bottom. I use that same set up, pan and pickup, and have not had to cut the stock straight Mopar pickups

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: mickm] #1243707
06/02/12 02:23 PM
06/02/12 02:23 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I like to set it about 1/8" off the bottom of the pan...
I dont want it in contact... it can buzz and when
you hear strange noises it can cause issues(what the
hell is that noise)if you know what I mean... JMO

Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: mickm] #1243708
06/02/12 04:56 PM
06/02/12 04:56 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

If it's only going into the block 4 threads, I'd just tap the block deeper.

The factory pickup will flow fine "just touching" the bottom of the pan.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: oil pickup clearance problem [Re: John_Kunkel] #1243709
06/02/12 07:45 PM
06/02/12 07:45 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

If it's only going into the block 4 threads, I'd just tap the block deeper.

The factory pickup will flow fine "just touching" the bottom of the pan.

did think of that. the engine is already together, so while that could be done carefully, i'd rather not be creating metal chips in the oil pump passage if there are other alternatives.