05/15/12 01:21 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
Quote:

Well most who have posted on this tread have at some point in the past. Lamented how there is not much techno exchange here anymore. As most the the builders have left. Curtis Boggs, Fast68Plymouth, DTHEMI to name a few no longer post. I'm sure Ryan will be added to the list. I learned alot from those guys.

But as I recall in the Bible it says if you have a problem with someone. Go to them and try and resolve it first. Before bringing it to the community.

I understand Brian didn't want to ship his parts or trust RJ. That was his decision to make. But I think he nothing to loose except his effort. To at least give RJ a chance to offer some sort of resolution.

I have lost respect for some in this post. I'm sure nobody cares anyway and I'm fine with that. But at the end of the day we are all only as good as our word. Jim

'

ryan already left this site,he just came back on to tell his side of the story in this thread.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1230346
05/15/12 04:56 PM
05/15/12 04:56 PM
Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
L
Labratt Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
Labratt  Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
L

Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
Raff..if I remember correctly,didn't this "revered" engine builder have TS as as his initials? Loose rod nuts are NEVER a good thing! Even worse than inferior quality rod nuts!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: rt66jim] #1230347
05/15/12 05:46 PM
05/15/12 05:46 PM
Cairns Queensland Australia. T...
V
vc360 Offline
mopar
vc360  Offline
mopar
V

Cairns Queensland Australia. T...
Quote:

Well most who have posted on this tread have at some point in the past. Lamented how there is not much techno exchange here anymore. As most the the builders have left. Curtis Boggs, Fast68Plymouth, DTHEMI to name a few no longer post. I'm sure Ryan will be added to the list. I learned alot from those guys.

But as I recall in the Bible it says if you have a problem with someone. Go to them and try and resolve it first. Before bringing it to the community.

I understand Brian didn't want to ship his parts or trust RJ. That was his decision to make. But I think he nothing to loose except his effort. To at least give RJ a chance to offer some sort of resolution.

I have lost respect for some in this post. I'm sure nobody cares anyway and I'm fine with that. But at the end of the day we are all only as good as our word. Jim

Jim the thread title says "TRUST" and Brian has lost his trust of the builder so no reason to go back IMO.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: vc360] #1230348
05/15/12 06:54 PM
05/15/12 06:54 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
I understand that. Not blaming him for taking the parts elsewhere. That's his right. The way I've read it he just didn't give the party with whom he had the problem a chance to make it right first.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: rt66jim] #1230349
05/15/12 07:07 PM
05/15/12 07:07 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

I understand that. Not blaming him for taking the parts elsewhere. That's his right. The way I've read it he just didn't give the party with whom he had the problem a chance to make it right first.

If the OP dosnt trust said machine shop anymore, thats a good reason for not letting the shop "try" to make it better. He already failed.

Kasey

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: rt66jim] #1230350
05/15/12 07:44 PM
05/15/12 07:44 PM
western pennsylvania
b1dartsport Offline
super stock
b1dartsport  Offline
super stock

western pennsylvania
For whatever reason Ryan made mistakes on the op engine,he was never given the opportunity to make it right. It was stated that the shipping would of been to much or whatever. I do not agree with trying to destroy someone under these circumstances. I have probably been involved in the building of 30 to 35 engines over the years and was suprised on some of the mistakes I made due to working on something when I had something on my mind or was just too plain tired to be doing this kind of work at the time. Ryan up until lately, has been a very helpful contributor of technical advice on this site for a lot of years. I can't tell you how many times he helped with my first R3 build and it was all good advice. I had not hired him to do any work for me, He just went out of his way to help me and I appreciated at the time and I still do. People like him are going to be hard to replace on this site. I don't usually post about this kind of crap but I could not keep silent any longer. Not trying to offend anyone. I do not know Brian personally but I know he comes from a great family of racers and they are good guys. Sometimes people get upset and things get out of hand,but it ends up costing someone's livelyhood or destroying a business....Just my

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: b1dartsport] #1230351
05/15/12 08:06 PM
05/15/12 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Boys, THINK.... A USED set of lifters were put in a new radical build. I would bet my shop that Ryan said--use them at your risk. A roller lifter is the most failure prone item in a race engine--Period! And there is NO way that a roller strength spring that was .200 from coil bind let that lifter fail--No freaking way! It is all that simple.
We all face cost isssues and try to find ways around it. Putting used parts in is one way. You always have to "talk" the builder into it but after hearing it hundreds of times they usually say--OK it is your baby. What are they going to do???Say oh no way you MUST spend the extra $750--then someone would complain about that!
You have to remember that while that thing is on the dyno the builder is on the hook for every part makers design, metalurgy, hardening process, material selection, workmanship, etc Is THAT fair? Heck no! WHY do engine builders risk all that for a pretty slim profit margin--WHY do they take that giant gamble--Who knows--any business advisor would say they are crazy and it is bad business to take such risk for so little net profit.
They do it because they LOVE HP and racing and the competition and the great releationships that develop over the years, THE WINS!But it is not a smart decision or a smart business model. And lets not forget....we are playing in a very risky arena PERIOD. Any of you weld? Have a guy die in a car you welded? Hope not--an engine won't kill anything but your wallet, simple fact of racing and going fast. Do you think that Richard Petty yelled at Dale Inman? Heck no--they blew up more engines in 40 years than you could bury with a Caterpillar--They KNEW it would and could happen for a thousand different reasons.
Please lets end this thread. Lock it up!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: ] #1230352
05/15/12 09:58 PM
05/15/12 09:58 PM
Michigan
BPE Offline
mopar
BPE  Offline
mopar

Michigan
So it's OK for Ryan to badmouth other business' on this forum and you guys are good with that? Oh and if you don't remember here you go....

"Tried my Brand new Pro Systems 850 Annular blow through carb, for second time, it did not run worth a carp on dyno a month ago so sent it back to PS & they claimed they tore it apart, found nothing wrong, put it on a motor, put it under light load & it worked "fine" & sent it back... well, we forced it to make a pull, but you would'nt want to see the graphs, it was UGLY & sounded like it was going to vibrate my motor to death, I've never seen one that bad... that carb is JUNK at WOT. I have no idea what is wrong with it, but he will either be refunding my $ on it or I'll be bad mouthing him till day I die."

That gentlemen is a direct quote from his 417" turbo post (look it up).

Rod

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: BPE] #1230353
05/15/12 11:33 PM
05/15/12 11:33 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Seeing threads like this make me glad I put my own engines together...even though I do all the work to my car myself mainly because I can't afford to pay others to, I think it pays off in the end. I have made quite a few mistakes and the only person I can blame is myself (my junk is slow anyways too lol). Luckily I have had am excellent teacher to show me the ropes, as well as a great builder steer me along the way, select great combinations of parts, and fix anything before it could even become an issue

That said, I hope the OP gets everything resolved in a timely and affordable fashion. I myself hate seeing a company get publicly flogged, but it seems like this just "might" be warranted with all the bad experiences that are coming out of the closet too

Good luck

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: mshred] #1230354
05/16/12 12:54 AM
05/16/12 12:54 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Lets face it... most guys can assemble a engine to
specs but we dont run as many combos to get the big