Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Here is what I'm starting with:
68 charger, 440/auto
-11.75 front disc conversion with A body spindles, stock drums in rear.
-rebuilt the front suspension with a poly kit a 10 years ago, but it has limited miles on it.
-.920 T bars, set to -2" from stock ride height
-factory front sway bar stock with new bushings
-KYB's all around
-Stock untouched (non r/t spec) rear leafs with 1" lowering blocks
- NO rear bar at this time
-US cartool welded in subframe connectors
-Firm Feel Stage 2 power steering box
-18x9.5 rear,295/45 tires
-17x8 front,245/45 tires
-I forget the current alignment specs, but I do remember the guy saying he was able to get 1 degree positive caster out of it. I remember after the alignment the car was light years better , prob due to caster. Before that it was all over the road.

I just bought a set of hotchkis rear leafs because I saw them on amazon for 385 with free shipping.
I'd have loved to have been able to trot out into the yard, shake the money tree, and order up an alterKtion or a full TVS kit, but I can't. I've been working like madman for the last few weeks doing lots of side work and managed to squirrel away a decent amount.

The car drives ok for what it is, but I want to take it to the next level. I won't be competing in autocross anytime soon, but i'd like to be able to drive it aggressively, have more highway stability, take off ramps faster... and an overall more modern ride.

After buying the rear springs, I now have a budget of $1000.00 and I feel that I already have a sound foundation and I have some ideas what I want to put the money towards, but I was looking for other input. I was thinking bilstien shocks and bigger T bars, tubular upper control arms, adj torsion bars, upgraded tie rod sleeves, larger front swaybar. I know I can't do all that for a grand, but I can knock out 2 or 3 of the big ones.

I don't expect corvette handling, but i'd be happy if it handled as well as my '09 Pontiac G8

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226456
05/03/12 12:17 AM
05/03/12 12:17 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
I'd start with a bigger front anti-sway bar and Bilstein shocks. See how that feels and then go from there.

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226457
05/03/12 12:18 AM
05/03/12 12:18 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Those torsion bars are SKINNY! WoW !!!
First up, you'll need to swap in 1.0 or larger torsion bars if you want to have an even balance with the new leaf springs. Roll stiffness should be equal front to rear. The stock front sway bar should be upgraded as well. There are several shops that offer hollow units if you are interested in saving a few lbs.
I run a 1 1/8" Addco bar on the front of the Charger along with 1" t-bars. I have MP xhd leafs. The car was oversteering with a 7/8" rear anti sway bar, so I removed it. I have frame connectors (welded) and torque boxes. My next upgrades: LARGER front sway bar, a 3/4" rear bar, welded K member and offset bushings in the stock UCAs for more caster. Good luck with your car, Greg

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226458
05/03/12 12:28 AM
05/03/12 12:28 AM
WA
P
pro451bee Offline
super stock
pro451bee  Offline
super stock
P

WA
I'd go with tubular uppers,big gain there,and some 1.1 T bars and if you have enough get the Bilstien shocks .You need the sway bars too thou. and you will transform to the next level.

7190265-S6300703#2.JPG (54 downloads)
Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: pro451bee] #1226459
05/03/12 12:52 AM
05/03/12 12:52 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

I'd go with tubular uppers,big gain there,and some 1.1 T bars and if you have enough get the Bilstien shocks .You need the sway bars too thou. and you will transform to the next level.

I agree here. The adjustable,or even Firm Feel, upper arms are needed to get that caster in a better state of align IMO. Those Tbars are small even for my setup. A Hellwig front bar wont break the bank either.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226460
05/03/12 01:46 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

68 charger, 440/auto
-rebuilt the front suspension with a poly kit a 10 years ago, but it has limited miles on it.
-KYB's all around
-17x8 front,245/45 tires
-I forget the current alignment specs, but I do remember the guy saying he was able to get 1 degree positive caster out of it. I remember after the alignment the car was light years better , prob due to caster. Before that it was all over the road.

I just bought a set of hotchkis rear leafs because I saw them on amazon for 385 with free shipping.
I'd have loved to have been able to trot out into the yard, shake the money tree, and order up an alterKtion or a full TVS kit, but I can't. I've been working like madman for the last few weeks doing lots of side work and managed to squirrel away a decent amount.

The car drives ok for what it is, but I want to take it to the next level. I won't be competing in autocross anytime soon, but i'd like to be able to drive it aggressively, have more highway stability, take off ramps faster... and an overall more modern ride.

After buying the rear springs, I now have a budget of $1000.00 and I feel that I already have a sound foundation and I have some ideas what I want to put the money towards, but I was looking for other input. I was thinking bilstien shocks and bigger T bars, tubular upper control arms, adj torsion bars, upgraded tie rod sleeves, larger front swaybar. I know I can't do all that for a grand, but I can knock out 2 or 3 of the big ones.

I don't expect corvette handling, but i'd be happy if it handled as well as my '09 Pontiac G8

*Hellwig hollow ($226) or Hotchkis hollow ($262) or Firm Feel solid ($275) front sway bar

*Bilstein shocks ($359)

*Moog offset upper control arm bushings. (~$50) but could be ($50+) to have someone press them in for you. Then align to 3-4 degrees positive caster. And maybe 1 deg neg camber. This is not a daily driver, correct? And you are looking for max handling and willing to sacrifice some cushy ride?

*Maybe Hellwig ($228) or Hotchkis ($307) adjustable rear sway bar. But that's if you feel the car understeering. Problem is you don't really know that until you add a rear bar to try and feel the difference.

If you want to go $200 over budget or wait on the rear sway bar...If you shop hard I think you'd find some 1.03" front Torsion Bars for around $200.

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: 72Swinger] #1226461
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
seems like the general consensus is bilstiens, larger swaybar, 1.0 or larger Tbars, and tubular uppers... The $1500.00 question would have been a better thread title. I can make that happen. and about my toothpick Tbars.... I know, I know, so small...I had the stock 318 bars and when I did the suspension the first time I ordered a set that were the same size as would have come on a real R/T...I think. To tell the truth, now I'm not sure what size they are.

I looked through my stash and I already have a set of the reinforcing plates for the stock lower control arms. I want to retain my front mounted calipers so should I get the firm feel front bar that's for cars that never had a swaybar? I'm not sure how FF wants you to mount the swaybar tabs for that bar. Picture looks like they bolt to something. since I'll have the lower arms out so my friend can weld the plates on, is it worth it to use the FF nylon bushings?

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: autoxcuda] #1226462
05/03/12 01:58 AM
05/03/12 01:58 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

68 charger, 440/auto
-KYB's all around
-17x8 front,245/45 tires

*Hellwig hollow ($226) or Hotchkis hollow ($262) or Firm Feel solid ($275) front sway bar

*Bilstein shocks ($359)

*Moog offset upper control arm bushings. (~$50) but could be ($50+) to have someone press them in for you. Then align to 3-4 degrees positive caster. And maybe 1 deg neg camber. This is not a daily driver, correct? And you are looking for max handling and willing to sacrifice some cushy ride?

*Maybe Hellwig ($228) or Hotchkis ($307) adjustable rear sway bar. But that's if you feel the car understeering. Problem is you don't really know that until you add a rear bar to try and feel the difference.

If you want to go $200 over budget or wait on the rear sway bar...If you shop hard I think you'd find some 1.03" front Torsion Bars for around $200.

I think I would wait on the rear bar. On the Torsion bars, what I've read on here and other Forums is that they are not all created equal. For a few hundred over my budget, I could probably one stop shop at Firm Feel and get all the pieces I need. I've read nothing but good about their products and service. I'm using their steering box and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I truly appreciate it. Kevin

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226463
05/03/12 02:08 AM
05/03/12 02:08 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

seems like the general consensus is bilstiens, larger swaybar, 1.0 or larger Tbars, and tubular uppers... The $1500.00 question would have been a better thread title. I can make that happen. and about my toothpick Tbars.... I know, I know, so small...I had the stock 318 bars and when I did the suspension the first time I ordered a set that were the same size as would have come on a real R/T...I think. To tell the truth, now I'm not sure what size they are.

I looked through my stash and I already have a set of the reinforcing plates for the stock lower control arms. I want to retain my front mounted calipers so should I get the firm feel front bar that's for cars that never had a swaybar? I'm not sure how FF wants you to mount the swaybar tabs for that bar. Picture looks like they bolt to something. since I'll have the lower arms out so my friend can weld the plates on, is it worth it to use the FF nylon bushings?

Bilstiens, larger swaybar, 1.0 or larger T-bars are more bang for you buck than the tubular uppers.

Wait on the tubular UCA's until you get more budget $$$.

Do you have a factory sway bar on there now with factory sway bar tabbed LCA's? The Firm Feel front bar that attaches to the factory sway bar tabbed LCA's can't be used with front mounted calipers. But Firm Feel offers another front bar that has the end link attach to the shock bolt area that allows room for front mounted calipers.

I'd mount the calipers in the rear. But you'll have to get different brake lines. But then you'd be able to get a hollow (Hotchkis/Hellwig) lighter sway bar.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 05/03/12 02:11 AM.
Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: autoxcuda] #1226464
05/03/12 09:20 AM
05/03/12 09:20 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Bilstiens, larger swaybar, 1.0 or larger T-bars are more bang for you buck than the tubular uppers.

Do you have a factory sway bar on there now with factory sway bar tabbed LCA's? The Firm Feel front bar that attaches to the factory sway bar tabbed LCA's can't be used with front mounted calipers. But Firm Feel offers another front bar that has the end link attach to the shock bolt area that allows room for front mounted calipers.

I'd mount the calipers in the rear. But you'll have to get different brake lines. But then you'd be able to get a hollow (Hotchkis/Hellwig) lighter sway bar.

Yes, original sway bar car with tabbed LCA's. I was planning to get the firm feel bar that's for cars without factory bar.

I was doing some more digging and when I bought my lower control arm reinforcing plates, I also bought a set of moog offset bushings. It's like christmas in may over here. I bought this stuff so long ago that I forgot I had it lol..

I have the dumbest question ever.... The bushings are in a box and there's two of them in there... not 2 sets totaling 4 bushings, but 1 set totaling 2 bushings. I found the receipt from mancini and went to their site and it doesn't say if 1 or 2 sets per car is needed. So, do you use one bushing per side or do I have to get another set and use 2 per side?

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226465
05/03/12 11:15 AM
05/03/12 11:15 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I was doing some more digging and when I bought my lower control arm reinforcing plates, I also bought a set of moog offset bushings. It's like christmas in may over here. I bought this stuff so long ago that I forgot I had it lol..

I have the dumbest question ever.... The bushings are in a box and there's two of them in there... not 2 sets totaling 4 bushings, but 1 set totaling 2 bushings. I found the receipt from mancini and went to their site and it doesn't say if 1 or 2 sets per car is needed. So, do you use one bushing per side or do I have to get another set and use 2 per side?

2 per side.

Do NOT follow the directions in the 7103 kit. Follow the directions printed below.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 05/03/12 11:17 AM.
Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226466
05/03/12 11:23 AM
05/03/12 11:23 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, original sway bar car with tabbed LCA's. I was planning to get the firm feel bar that's for cars without factory bar.

So you have front mounted calipers with a factory wide type 69 sway bar right now?

Do you have a picture of that?

If you currently have the wide type factory bar with factory LCA's with tabs near the end, you could run the Helwig or Hotchkis hollow tubular front sway bar. Or run the Firm Feel sway bar that uses the factory attachments.

Pics would really help of your current situation.

Some 69's even have a 70 type K-member that will accept the sway bar thru the K-member type setup.

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: autoxcuda] #1226467
05/03/12 10:14 PM
05/03/12 10:14 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Lets just say I'm not exactly proud of All the work I've done on this car lol... Yes, I have front mounted calipers and a stock 68 swaybar bolted to the LCA... In a moment of desperation 10 years ago, I took a grinder to the factory sway bar tab and took enough off to clear the caliper. Then I drilled a hole for the Sway bar bolt in what was left. With that said, I will NOT be posting pics of that job

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226468
05/20/12 09:39 PM
05/20/12 09:39 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Hotchkiss rear springs installed! Car feels much better and i havent even started on the front yet. Work has been good to me since i started this thread soill be getying firm feel uppers, front swaybr, tbars, and bilsteins..

My old springs were untouched from 68 and they wwere beat, bushing shot. Since i run lowering block and 18's in the rear with 45 series tires, i was getting some rubbing....its way less now and im going to trim that hump in the outer wheelhouse near the fender lip. Thats the only spot that rubs.. im still running the 1" block i ran with the old springs and the car is llloooooowwwwww....

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226469
05/21/12 12:33 AM
05/21/12 12:33 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Hotchkiss rear springs installed! Car feels much better and i havent even started on the front yet. Work has been good to me since i started this thread soill be getying firm feel uppers, front swaybr, tbars, and bilsteins..

My old springs were untouched from 68 and they wwere beat, bushing shot. Since i run lowering block and 18's in the rear with 45 series tires, i was getting some rubbing....its way less now and im going to trim that hump in the outer wheelhouse near the fender lip. Thats the only spot that rubs.. im still running the 1" block i ran with the old springs and the car is llloooooowwwwww....

I would assume lower that before?

I'd imagine you don't need the blocks anymore, but you have a real large diameter wheel and tire combo in the rear.

What kind of ride are you looking for? You have some pretty low profile front tires. Anything more than .99 to 1.03 is going to be bumpy.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 05/21/12 12:39 AM.
Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: autoxcuda] #1226470
05/21/12 01:24 AM
05/21/12 01:24 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
It's definitely lower than before, but not by much. I don't know how familiar you are with the B body wheel well, but there's a squared off area near the top on the outside that doesn't follow the natural contour of the rest of the wheel well. Thats the only point of contact. I had a friend install my subframe connectors and when he was doing it, I had him cut that area out on the passenger side. We patched a piece in that followed the natural curve like the rest of the wheel well. I decided not to cut anymore until I addressed my bushings/springs.

After today's shakedown cruise, I can see that the pass side rubs about a 3" long area on the patch we made and the untouched side rubs an 8-10" long area. When we made the patch, we didn't weld it in. I wanted to drive the car for a while to make sure we didn't have to do more cutting so we just put some sheet metal screws through it and I sealed it with silicone. I'm glad now because it will be easy to take out and reshape that part and weld it in properly, then duplicate on the other side.

I didnt think my fronts were that low profile, 245/45/17's. as far as stiffness of the ride, I'd like it to be on par with a modern sports sedan. Doesn't have to handle like a camaro or a corvette. I had planned on firm feel 1.0 or 1.06 bars.

Right now, I'm feeling that as much as I love the way it looks, I'll probably end up having to take the blocks out, reshape the patch, and do the drivers side too.

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226471
05/21/12 03:51 AM
05/21/12 03:51 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

It's definitely lower than before, but not by much. I don't know how familiar you are with the B body wheel well, but there's a squared off area near the top on the outside that doesn't follow the natural contour of the rest of the wheel well. Thats the only point of contact.

Right now, I'm feeling that as much as I love the way it looks, I'll probably end up having to take the blocks out, reshape the patch, and do the drivers side too.

I have had the same problem. I think that the only Charger owners that know about this are the guys with lowered cars with wide tires!
I have thought about cutting and modifying that area on my car.

7214677-DSCN1307.JPG (44 downloads)
Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Kern Dog] #1226472
05/21/12 10:13 AM
05/21/12 10:13 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

It's definitely lower than before, but not by much. I don't know how familiar you are with the B body wheel well, but there's a squared off area near the top on the outside that doesn't follow the natural contour of the rest of the wheel well. Thats the only point of contact.

I have had the same problem. I think that the only Charger owners that know about this are the guys with lowered cars with wide tires!
I have thought about cutting and modifying that area on my car.

Yeah, I don't know if it's a B body thing or a Charger specific thing but it's frustrating. At least it's pretty easy to get rid of. you have to be careful though, it's awfully close to the outer quarter skin. Nothing like a nice cut line in your shiny quarters to ruin you day lol.

What tire size/rear springs/bushings are you runnning? If I'm not mistaken, it's similar to mine, 295/45/18. Right now, I have @2" of sidewall showing below the wheel lip. Looks like you have just a bit more.

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Pool Fixer] #1226473
05/21/12 03:11 PM
05/21/12 03:11 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

What tire size/rear springs/bushings are you runnning? If I'm not mistaken, it's similar to mine, 295/45/18. Right now, I have @2" of sidewall showing below the wheel lip. Looks like you have just a bit more.

I have the MP XHD springs with the half leaves removed. Both are RH. I also have the SS front hangers with a new hole drilled up higher to raise the mounting position. I have HD shackles, stock length with urethane bushings. Tires? Rear ARE the Nitto 555 295-45-18s on 18x10 wheels with 5" of backspace. Axle is a narrowed 68 B 8 3/4" It is 2" narrower. Front wheels are 18x9 with 275-40-18.

Re: The $1000.00 question... [Re: Kern Dog] #1226474
09/06/12 05:57 PM
09/06/12 05:57 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline OP
master
Pool Fixer  Offline OP
master

Coram, NY
should have called it the $2500.00 question lol... After a brief conversation with the guys at Firm FeelI ordered their tubular uca's, adj strutrods, sector support kit, and 1" torsion bars. There's also a Hellwig 1 1/8" front bar on its way. I'm up to about 1500 and still have to get shocks and I also want to swap in the fast ration idler and pitman. Once that's all together, I'll know if I need the rear bar too. So... at the end of the day, I think I'll get this thing to handle for about 2500. That's excluding the FF stage 2 box and US cartool subframe connectors I bought and installed years ago. Nobody said this would be easy lol. I am thankful, though, that there are so many choices to upgrade the suspension without a total redesign.

Page 1 of 2 1 2