04/16/12 07:23 PM
04/16/12 07:23 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well it seems it was that time of year again. Spring was in the air, people were thinking warm thoughts and looking forward to a vacation to sunny warm Las Vegas to attend the west coasts biggest Mopar show. Then they got here Cold, windy, raining, cold, and windy, well unless you were Canadien then all was great and the weather felt beautiful and warm

So we decided to bring both cars out to the MATS. My son and i debated bringing out the small tire car up until the last minute. We finally, or rather I finally caved and we brought it along.

Up on my soap box for a minute here and a little off topic but I feel the need to share here. I must say for those of you who attended and towed a vehicle I waited in the lines THREE times. I must also say that some folks really need to learn some patience and manners. When I had to come to the aid of a track worker because some drunk idiot(this was 1 PM mind you)was going to "kick his a**" we have a problem. So just a public service announcement. Try to learn some patience next time. I know it took some time to get it, I know it may not have been what you thought was ideal but they were doing the best they could considering the inconsiderate, folks who refused to follow along and make it an orderly procession. I salute the Painters and the staff for doing the best possible job they could. Also to the track crew who while maybe the track was not the best all the time were busting thier humps to clean up all the oil all over the track. I am beginning to think ANY car that goes down a drag strip needs a diaper. Sure would have sped things up. If i can get one on a 68 Barracuda with a 99 Hemi so can everyone else....

Now to get back to the fun part. We brought the big tire car entered in the Q16 class. The little tire car was entered in time only. No real place for it to race and we figured it would not have an easy time getting down track so seemed like the best fit. We did try and ask if we could run it behind Q16 or the Hemi cars or at least something with slicks but were shot down. So we ended up runnig with street cars and slant 6 guys.

We decided not to participate in Thursdays test hits. Rather I decided to help Tom with his new engine in the dragster. Not that I was much help but got him through a couple of passes to get the nerves worked out at least, I think.

I also had a customer of mine participating in the True Street Challenge. He had a Beautiful 69 Hemi Charger, blue and white. Georgeous car and a super guy. We also had our usual folks seeking info, help or parts. This to me is the funnest part of this show. The comradery in chasing a similar goal. Whether it is a street car or a 7 second car we are all after the saem result. have fun and make some laps. Hopefully win a round or four and make it home safe.

Wel to cut to the chase. The big tire car did it's usuall repeating thing in qualifying. 8.41-8.42 on every pass. All was well, until Suday..Anything that could go wrong did on Sunday. I could not do anything right in the car. Had it not been for lady luck, and Darren giving me the advice I really needed at the right time I would not have made the finals. Frankly I should not have made it out of first round as I had a horrific showing there due to a car issue. Getting to run Tom in the final was the icing on the cake race wise for me. Nothing beats getting to run a truly good guy for the title of Q16 champ, which I did not win, but if i was going to loose Tom is who I wouldwant to win.

The small tire car. Well it was an adventure for sure. Lots of people were asking lots of questions about the car. From what kind of hemi is that to is it fast. Well we tried to answer all the questions and then we tried to show if it was fast. Our first pass on Friday proved to be the best attempt to showing folks if it was fast or not. The car works AWESOME and we knew it would likely get off the line ok as the starting line was great. We decided since the track would likely be an issue that we woudl make some minor changes. We pulled another 3 degrees of timing out and lowered the high side chip to 9900, just in case as to not hurt anything.

Well the car did not want to do a burnout but I muddled through best I could. Staged the car against some poor lady in her street car. Let go of the button and took off. 1.294 60(best we have been)and then about the 200' mark it began to skate around, I short shifted(not alot)into second. I decided to ride it out as it was not horrible YET..About the top of second gear it made a hard move toward the center of the track I grabbed third and the move continued. Let off the throttle at 6.4 seconds(racepak)and coasted on through to a 8.54(I think)at 130 IIRC. After I got back to the pits I heard from a few of the guys that I was, well crazy. Well maybe with different words, more colorful shall we say. I was very happy. It did better than we had thought given the track and some changes we made.

Ouor next pass Friday resulted in about a 65' pass. Left hard, 1.290 60', new best then proceeded to scare the camera man on the wall. I was still happy, Did not hurt anything and we set another new best 60'.

On Saturday we gave it one last shot. Late in the day, almost the end of the day really, just before the rain came. We had not started the car all day. We had it ready to go just never started it. It was cold, overcast and was likely not going to go well. We had the oil preheated and car ready just in case. We decided to drag the car up to the scales to weigh it, as we have a PSCA race in two weeks and want to make sure the track scales match ours, which they do. SO with my son prodding my I finally gave in and decided to just make a pass, or try and then weigh it. So in the lanes we finally started the car and ran it for a few minutes, we had prelubed it before heading up and the oil was warm. Just wanted ot make sure all was well before we pulled up. We seem to draw a small crowd when we did that. Anyway burnout was another cluster but was ok. Staged the car let go of the buttom and were rewarded with a 1.26 60' time. Another new best! The proceded to start skating around about 100' out and tried like heck to take out the 330'cone, so just limped it out off the track. I was very happy with the the results to say the least.

I apologze if I did not get to talk to everyone who came buy. I tried to spend time with everyone but we seemed to have people coming and going everyday. I want to thank the AH guys for feeding us on Friday night, thanks to spyfish for the cigars and just his great personality and his crew great bunch of guys. I would like to say thanks to Tom for just being a great guy! Even if he beat me in the final. Also my son and wife for letting me do this stuff. Also say thanks to all who came buy to wish us well and congratulate us, THANK YOU ALL!

So to sum it up. I was runner up in Q16, set a new best 60' time in the little tire car, and the best part my customer(Holly Graves)competing in the true street challenge ended up winning the event!! He will be on the cover of the magazine and they did a full feature spread on his beautiful 69 hemi Charger..I could not have been happier!!!

Cant wait til next year!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217112
04/16/12 09:23 PM
04/16/12 09:23 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Well it seems it was that time of year again. Spring was in the air, people were thinking warm thoughts and looking forward to a vacation to sunny warm Las Vegas to attend the west coasts biggest Mopar show. Then they got here Cold, windy, raining, cold, and windy, well unless you were Canadien then all was great and the weather felt beautiful and warm

So we decided to bring both cars out to the MATS. My son and i debated bringing out the small tire car up until the last minute. We finally, or rather I finally caved and we brought it along.

Up on my soap box for a minute here and a little off topic but I feel the need to share here. I must say for those of you who attended and towed a vehicle I waited in the lines THREE times. I must also say that some folks really need to learn some patience and manners. When I had to come to the aid of a track worker because some drunk idiot(this was 1 PM mind you)was going to "kick his a**" we have a problem. So just a public service announcement. Try to learn some patience next time. I know it took some time to get it, I know it may not have been what you thought was ideal but they were doing the best they could considering the inconsiderate, folks who refused to follow along and make it an orderly procession. I salute the Painters and the staff for doing the best possible job they could. Also to the track crew who while maybe the track was not the best all the time were busting thier humps to clean up all the oil all over the track. I am beginning to think ANY car that goes down a drag strip needs a diaper. Sure would have sped things up. If i can get one on a 68 Barracuda with a 99 Hemi so can everyone else....

Now to get back to the fun part. We brought the big tire car entered in the Q16 class. The little tire car was entered in time only. No real place for it to race and we figured it would not have an easy time getting down track so seemed like the best fit. We did try and ask if we could run it behind Q16 or the Hemi cars or at least something with slicks but were shot down. So we ended up runnig with street cars and slant 6 guys.

We decided not to participate in Thursdays test hits. Rather I decided to help Tom with his new engine in the dragster. Not that I was much help but got him through a couple of passes to get the nerves worked out at least, I think.

I also had a customer of mine participating in the True Street Challenge. He had a Beautiful 69 Hemi Charger, blue and white. Georgeous car and a super guy. We also had our usual folks seeking info, help or parts. This to me is the funnest part of this show. The comradery in chasing a similar goal. Whether it is a street car or a 7 second car we are all after the saem result. have fun and make some laps. Hopefully win a round or four and make it home safe.

Wel to cut to the chase. The big tire car did it's usuall repeating thing in qualifying. 8.41-8.42 on every pass. All was well, until Suday..Anything that could go wrong did on Sunday. I could not do anything right in the car. Had it not been for lady luck, and Darren giving me the advice I really needed at the right time I would not have made the finals. Frankly I should not have made it out of first round as I had a horrific showing there due to a car issue. Getting to run Tom in the final was the icing on the cake race wise for me. Nothing beats getting to run a truly good guy for the title of Q16 champ, which I did not win, but if i was going to loose Tom is who I wouldwant to win.

The small tire car. Well it was an adventure for sure. Lots of people were asking lots of questions about the car. From what kind of hemi is that to is it fast. Well we tried to answer all the questions and then we tried to show if it was fast. Our first pass on Friday proved to be the best attempt to showing folks if it was fast or not. The car works AWESOME and we knew it would likely get off the line ok as the starting line was great. We decided since the track would likely be an issue that we woudl make some minor changes. We pulled another 3 degrees of timing out and lowered the high side chip to 9900, just in case as to not hurt anything.

Well the car did not want to do a burnout but I muddled through best I could. Staged the car against some poor lady in her street car. Let go of the button and took off. 1.294 60(best we have been)and then about the 200' mark it began to skate around, I short shifted(not alot)into second. I decided to ride it out as it was not horrible YET..About the top of second gear it made a hard move toward the center of the track I grabbed third and the move continued. Let off the throttle at 6.4 seconds(racepak)and coasted on through to a 8.54(I think)at 130 IIRC. After I got back to the pits I heard from a few of the guys that I was, well crazy. Well maybe with different words, more colorful shall we say. I was very happy. It did better than we had thought given the track and some changes we made.

Ouor next pass Friday resulted in about a 65' pass. Left hard, 1.290 60', new best then proceeded to scare the camera man on the wall. I was still happy, Did not hurt anything and we set another new best 60'.

On Saturday we gave it one last shot. Late in the day, almost the end of the day really, just before the rain came. We had not started the car all day. We had it ready to go just never started it. It was cold, overcast and was likely not going to go well. We had the oil preheated and car ready just in case. We decided to drag the car up to the scales to weigh it, as we have a PSCA race in two weeks and want to make sure the track scales match ours, which they do. SO with my son prodding my I finally gave in and decided to just make a pass, or try and then weigh it. So in the lanes we finally started the car and ran it for a few minutes, we had prelubed it before heading up and the oil was warm. Just wanted ot make sure all was well before we pulled up. We seem to draw a small crowd when we did that. Anyway burnout was another cluster but was ok. Staged the car let go of the buttom and were rewarded with a 1.26 60' time. Another new best! The proceded to start skating around about 100' out and tried like heck to take out the 330'cone, so just limped it out off the track. I was very happy with the the results to say the least.

I apologze if I did not get to talk to everyone who came buy. I tried to spend time with everyone but we seemed to have people coming and going everyday. I want to thank the AH guys for feeding us on Friday night, thanks to spyfish for the cigars and just his great personality and his crew great bunch of guys. I would like to say thanks to Tom for just being a great guy! Even if he beat me in the final. Also my son and wife for letting me do this stuff. Also say thanks to all who came buy to wish us well and congratulate us, THANK YOU ALL!

So to sum it up. I was runner up in Q16, set a new best 60' time in the little tire car, and the best part my customer(Holly Graves)competing in the true street challenge ended up winning the event!! He will be on the cover of the magazine and they did a full feature spread on his beautiful 69 hemi Charger..I could not have been happier!!!

Cant wait til next year!

Well, let me say thanks to Al and his son, for the help all of the time I was there. I sure hope you guys were able to salvage a youtube video from our race. That is the best outcome I could haved asked for, to race a fellow Mopar buddy in the final! Al, you and your family are a class act and as much as I hate to admit it, had you just been on the other side of the tree by .030, my goose was cooked. I get lucky some times and I guess it was jusy my day, but yours will be there, and I'm sure if you keep at it there are many "Wally's" in your future.
As far as the people talking trash and threatening the parking folks, they aren't the ones to be upset with. It's the top brass that allowed that to go on, and if I were Phil Painter, I would be reading them the riot act. It does no good to take it out on the poor people that didn't have anything to do with the planning part of it. And thanks to Phil for continueing the tradition. I don't think they do it for the money, because I doubt they made much.
It was good to meet the folks I did, the car is still running, and although it wasn't as fast as I hoped for, it was faster that before. For those that wanted to know, it went 7.207@187. I still have a few combo bugs to sort out but I'm pretty sure I can get to the 7.0's with a different converter and 16" rims, but I'll post something different on that in another post.
Also, I feel bad for the ones I know that didn't get a chance to race because they beat something up, Darrin form Canada comes to mind, but he'll build a stronger better combo soon I'm sure.
See you all next year!

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: camastomcat] #1217113
04/16/12 10:44 PM
04/16/12 10:44 PM
Upstate NY
Bigcube Offline
I Live Here
Bigcube  Offline
I Live Here

Upstate NY
Sounds like a fun time for all. Congrats on getting some shake down runs in the little tire car. Can't wait to hear how it does when it sticks the whole way.

Jim

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Bigcube] #1217114
04/17/12 02:14 AM
04/17/12 02:14 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Just kinda curious with the looseness of the 99 car down track.. Was that due to bad track prep.. or maybe something else?

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Jeepmon] #1217115
04/17/12 02:25 AM
04/17/12 02:25 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
ummmm...1300+hp and a 29.5x10.5 tire might be a reason

The track was fine of the starting line, even for us. Just not so much downtrack. Actually some of the other cars were having downtrack issues, even the AH cars were. The track temp was 81 degrees on our third pass. Dont recall the other two but the first one was by far the warmest. Number two was really late in the day as well. The first pair of AH cars down the track about 15 minutes after me Booker got way sideways at the 1/8th and they called it a day.

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217116
04/17/12 05:06 PM
04/17/12 05:06 PM
Bakersfield, CA
MarkKirby Offline
MarkKirby  Offline

Bakersfield, CA
I don't know what the track crew could have done differently under the conditions. The wind was swirling, intermittment rain drops throughout the event, cold temps, lots of ill-prepared cars dripping crap all over the place. In my humble opinion, they did about everything possible to keep us safe.

I didn't quite understand the non-Mopars being allowed in various classes....but with the low car count and the risk of losing the event in the future I see no problem inviting the rest of the world to play with us. Bring on the Chebbies, Fords, BOPs, and even the rice rockets if it keeps the event on the calendar. I was however surprised to see only a few AMCs. The car count was down in the show area as well but I was impressed with the quality of the ones that showed. Lots of people from Canada.....go figure!

Mark & Nancy Kirby 1971 Plymouth Duster The Grape Ape 10.20 @129mph 1.32 60'
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217117
04/17/12 05:20 PM
04/17/12 05:20 PM
fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline
top fuel
M

fresno ca
I got one shot of your small tired car on the launch and looked good til shortly after the 60 foot.

7168906-vegas2012030.jpg (124 downloads)
Last edited by mikeysmopars; 04/17/12 05:23 PM.

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: mikeysmopars] #1217118
04/17/12 05:58 PM
04/17/12 05:58 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Al, I don't know if it would be Legal for your class but the 10.5 guys out here are running a Traction Control in some form of MSD. They run 632 cu in and up engines on 3 stages of NOS and go down some of our out-law tracks that are not only slick but rough and run 4.40's. I know a few of the 10.5 guys and can find out about the boxes if you can use them.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1217119
04/17/12 07:25 PM
04/17/12 07:25 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
I saw it do the 1.26 60', but that was about as far as she went straight..

Chris..

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1217120
04/17/12 07:34 PM
04/17/12 07:34 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Mark,I am not complaining about the track at all. in my opinion it was pretty much identical to the previous year as far as the track was concerned.

Mike nice picture. We really got none of that car due to when we were running it. That looks like Friday afternoon when we tried to mow the wall down, as opposed to Saturday afternoon when we tried to take out the 330' cone OI see the classic wheel steer while in the air going crooked move there

My small tire car is a unique animal and I had no expectation of making full passes. The other car was flawless. You made a very accurate account of what was going on. They did the best they could within the parameters they were given. This is a PRIVATE TRACK RENTAL they do what they are paid to do.

MrMopar. I am aware of Davis traction control and the Power Grid's traction control system frmo MSD. We have the ability to ride the dots with what we have now. We do not have traction control. Being an all motor car I am not sure it is the ideal way to do things. They do not respond to timing being killed like a power adder car will. Will do have a launch ramp and that is how we were able to get off the starting line. I have seen an all motor car with traction control out here. When it works he is pretty good. Problem is it will sometimes give false triggers and when it happens the car is not so good. IMO in an all motor car a true traction control system should NOT be allowed by rule. It is supposed to be a engine builder tuner class, not a let go of a button and let the computrs do the rest deal. So you will NEVER find true traction control on my car as long as it is NA.

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217121
04/17/12 08:05 PM
04/17/12 08:05 PM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
With the colder temps & oil spills, the track crew had their hands
full. I applaud you guys for braving the track conditions & give
us a great show. Late Sat afternoon, we (True Street Challenge
participants), were lined up for our final pass, just behind the
funny cars & a track tech came over to tell us races were over for
the day due to trap temps & bad conditions. 10 minutes later, they
called us back for a final pass, along with the funny cars & I appreciated them hanging in to give us one more pass. I know you
were really focused with the small tire car & appreciate you giving
time & attention to drive Shadowfax the 1st pass for Holly.
THanks to your super tune, Holly nailed a 114 mph pass on his 1st
pass in w/ the new hemi. We were stoked you got some prize money
& the best looking race car runner up award,too.

7169090-THEcrew...jpg (49 downloads)
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Triggerfish] #1217122
04/17/12 09:35 PM
04/17/12 09:35 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
hey tom al and rod you guys were great. got watch you guys race all day i was runner up first round in the afx class had a great time

In the 8s N/A.with Brett miller W8's
5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: WHITEDART] #1217123
04/17/12 10:05 PM
04/17/12 10:05 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Lookin good, Al!

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: B1Fish540] #1217124
04/18/12 02:02 AM
04/18/12 02:02 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
ya know the more I look at that picture Mike the more I wonder if something is a miss. We have had that front end off a few times the last few months. I think I need to check the alignment for sure. Sure looks like we have a tire going one direction and the other tire headed a different direction

Maybe it is juts the picture but sure dont look right. I dont recall rechecking the alignment either though. Thanks again for the pic...

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217125
04/18/12 02:26 AM
04/18/12 02:26 AM
fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline
top fuel
M

fresno ca
Ya know now that ive zoomed in on it you might be right!
That right wheel sure looks towed in!?

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: mikeysmopars] #1217126
04/18/12 02:32 AM
04/18/12 02:32 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Makes me even happier I went with it now. If there is a problem we can get it handled at home not the track. The video does not look that way but we cannot see the drivers side tire. Video is from the pass side. Was the ony time the car went right. The other passes it got loose down track it was drifting left or made a move to the left. Oh well thanks again for that picture. Will at least get me to recheck the alignment.

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217127
04/18/12 03:50 AM
04/18/12 03:50 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Looks out of alignment by the pic.. Could be just the angle, but at least you get to check..

I agree.. Great photo.. Helpful..

That sucker was a handful, and that may be the reason..

Chris..

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217128
04/18/12 08:28 AM
04/18/12 08:28 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Quote:

Makes me even happier I went with it now. If there is a problem we can get it handled at home not the track. The video does not look that way but we cannot see the drivers side tire. Video is from the pass side. Was the ony time the car went right. The other passes it got loose down track it was drifting left or made a move to the left. Oh well thanks again for that picture. Will at least get me to recheck the alignment.

Al, I don't have any Ackerman angle in my setup. It is zero, as the front steering ball joints are right in line with the track of the car. My theory is when in it gets out of shape the front doesn't push due to Ackerman increasing toe out significantly. I have had some serious situations that I have been able to recover from , and have tried to get some feedback from others on this deal. No one has replied yet, but I have never talked to any sprint car experts to see if they will comment. Might be worth looking into as it may help recovery and ET if it moves around on a SERIOUS deal like yours. Looking forward to your thoughts on this.
Congrats on making it to the finals, and getting the other car down track. Congrats on your success working with your customers car to.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: gregsdart] #1217129
04/18/12 11:54 AM
04/18/12 11:54 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Greg Well we will be looking at it tonight. It is an Alterkation set up and was fine last time we had it on the rack. But we have had the front end out a couple of times. For paint and some other little tweaks. See we have to remove the K member to get the diaper off

Certainly possible we missed something. Last time the car was out previously it was arrow straight with no issues at all. But that was at the Street Car Supernationals. The track is a WE bit better for that race too. On the other two passes the car was doing ok and ended up making left turns. But it was black tracking the entire way when it was under power. So we did not think much of it. Especially given what we saw some of the AH guys were doing the same thing in the same lane and spot. Booker's car made the same type of move as we did right behind us in the same lane Saturday.

At any rate we will be taking a look and making it right for sure. We are racing the car next weekend at our first PSCA race of the year. Hopeing to do well and represent the Mopar crowd well.

Re: My MATS experience.! [Re: Al_Alguire] #1217130
04/18/12 11:55 AM
04/18/12 11:55 AM
Texas
B
belk472 Offline
belk472  Offline
B

Texas
Al, thanks for the help finding stud to replace the broken one on our rocker stand. It's nice to put a face with the name. If your in our part of Texas look me up. thanks again.
Mike Belk

Page 1 of 2 1 2