04/14/12 06:39 PM
04/14/12 06:39 PM
Middletown , Ohio
DonnieLawson Offline OP
enthusiast
DonnieLawson  Offline OP
enthusiast

Middletown , Ohio
I just installed a Trans-go TF-2 shift kit in my 727 transmission .
I have the shift kit installed in the valve body , front band adjusted , and welch plug installed. Now I need to install the new spring into the L/R servo

The valve body is still on the bench until I get the rear servo spring upgraded
My question is , How do I remove the servo to install the spring. I removed the adjuster off the rear band hoping I would have room to pivot it out of the way . There's not enough room.
I haven't removed the C-clip yet because I don't think I will have room. Whats the trick to replace the rear servo spring ?

Big-block 76-77 727 Transmission with Trans-Go TF2 shift kit
Thanks
Donnie

Re: Can the Rear servo be removed in Car ? Bigblock 727 [Re: DonnieLawson] #1215732
04/14/12 06:55 PM
04/14/12 06:55 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
did you remove the little strut that is under the lever that the adjuster pushes on? it's a little steel plate about 1/8" thick. i'm just getting back into flites so i'm not certain but i think you should be able to get that piston in and out. worst case the pin that the lever assembly pivots on slides out the back of the housing. there is a tab on the tailshaft housing that blocks it from coming out. you would have to cut the tailshaft housing loose and rotate it a little. whatever you end up doing make sure the band is seated properly at both ends.

Re: Can the Rear servo be removed in Car ? Bigblock 727 [Re: DonnieLawson] #1215733
04/14/12 07:28 PM
04/14/12 07:28 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

This might help.

7164843-Servomod.jpg (1661 downloads)
Re: Can the Rear servo be removed in Car ? Bigblock 727 [Re: jamesc] #1215734
04/14/12 07:55 PM
04/14/12 07:55 PM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
Quote:

did you remove the little strut that is under the lever that the adjuster pushes on? it's a little steel plate about 1/8" thick. i'm just getting back into flites so i'm not certain but i think you should be able to get that piston in and out. worst case the pin that the lever assembly pivots on slides out the back of the housing. there is a tab on the tailshaft housing that blocks it from coming out. you would have to cut the tailshaft housing loose and rotate it a little. whatever you end up doing make sure the band is seated properly at both ends.

I just went through this same thing in my old 96 ram this winter. I had to replace the seal on the piston servo on the rear band as it was shot and wouldn't go into reverse. I tried 6 ways from sunday to get that applicator/rocker arm off and couldn't. What I did was knock the peice of tail shaft housing that holds in the shaft with a chisel and file and then tapped the shaft out of the back of the tranny. Everything obviously came out easy then. Problem now is there is nothing to stop the shaft from working it's way out. I just took a peice of 1/4"x1" flat bar, bent it at 90 degrees, and drilled a hole in one end. I bolted it to one of the bolts that holds the tail shaft to the main case, and then cut it to proper length so it buts up against the shaft.
It might be smarter to unbolt the tail shaft and try clocking it first so you can get the shaft out like previously mentioned, but i'm jsut telling what worked for me.

Re: Can the Rear servo be removed in Car ? Bigblock 727 [Re: WO23Coronet] #1215735
04/14/12 09:20 PM
04/14/12 09:20 PM
Middletown , Ohio
DonnieLawson Offline OP
enthusiast
DonnieLawson  Offline OP
enthusiast

Middletown , Ohio
Got it !!!
I just pushed the lever up into the servo , this give max space "slop" where it connects to the band. Then I pushed the band down onto the drum and the little piece of flat stock "linkage" fell out .
I reversed the procedure to reinstall it.
Just like the pic that John_Kunkel posted . Thanks !!!!!
It took 3 or 4 attempts to get it back in correctly. But I didn't have to pull the tail shaft or go kick the dog or anything
It rained all day here in Ohio and I really enjoyed working out in the barn on the old ratrod all day

Last edited by DonnieLawson; 04/14/12 09:22 PM.