03/31/12 08:13 PM
03/31/12 08:13 PM
Florida
BDW Offline OP
master
BDW  Offline OP
master

Florida
I just received my complete TTI system and would appreciate any tips from those who have gone through the install. I'll be doing this with the car on jack stands laying on my back.

My set-up, 70 340 Challenger, auto (car was originally a 318).
Factory exhaust manifolds.

Couple of initial questions:

1)Start from front or back, what is good for supporting the end that is hanging?
2) I need to add the muffler support brackets, how do I determine placement? Or mock it up and add last?
3) Same question for the brackets that go through the trunk to support the tips? Doesn't appear to be any "adjustability" with these? Where to locate and when?

Any info / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thx

Re: Any tips for TTI install, E-body [Re: BDW] #1207155
03/31/12 10:45 PM
03/31/12 10:45 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Here goes...Not sure which kit you have or what is included but...

1} Put the car up on the jack stands high and use another set in a lower setting to hold the pipe end at close to the correct height...You know the rest, work front to back supporting each area until it's assembled...Heck just use whatever you've got for that matter but the extra stands would make it somewhat easier..

2}A 318 car should have the floor bracket already welded on the one side... All you need to do is add the second{bolt on} floor bracket on the other side...You did get a repop factory bolt-on bracket for the other side did'nt you ???{it's not included in the kit} Pull the back seat..There should be dimples where you drill for the bracket...If for some reason there is'nt mirror the measurements from the existing bracket... link to the bracket

3}If you've got an original trunk floor you'll see the stamped area where the original exhaust hanger plate/studs would come through....If memory serves me correct the TTI kit only supplies bolts and nuts for those back hangers{so you're drilling two holes for just the bolts} but the underside hanger dimensions can be used with an original style trunk plate/stud assembly...I usually buy a repop trunk floor bracket and just use the TTI hanger and hardware so it looks factory when looking in the trunk... link to a bracket pic

And lastely...On some installs I've had to cut the Y {or X} pipe at the muffler inlet{not much only an inch or two} to shorten the run to allow for easier install/disassembly ... I like to use stainless band clamps instead of a regular clamps so the pipe does'nt kink...They'll slide right apart if you ever need to take them off...Once you tighten down a standard clamp and kink the pipes together it's all over... Good Luck !!!

Re: Any tips for TTI install, E-body [Re: screamindriver] #1207156
03/31/12 11:39 PM
03/31/12 11:39 PM
Florida
BDW Offline OP
master
BDW  Offline OP
master

Florida
Good info,

Never thought of using 2nd pair of jackstands, that's why I asked.

I did buy the extra TTI floor pan bracket for the muffler hangers. The link you provided shows the dimples for drilling.

I think I'll have more trouble with the tip hanger brackets, I see some fiberglass repair in the trunk and don't expect to see dimples for these. The TTI brackets have both parts, metal bracket in trunk and rubber isolator section on bottom.

Oddly the instructions say to start from rear, which doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyone else?

Re: Any tips for TTI install, E-body [Re: screamindriver] #1207157
03/31/12 11:40 PM
03/31/12 11:40 PM
Nevada
D
Darter6 Offline
Darter6  Offline
D

Nevada
I just did this install 2 weeks ago. This makes about 12 that I have done so far.
Do yourself a big favor and READ the instructions,, then read them again.It will give you measurements for the rear hangers.Also it states to start at the rear and work foward.This is for hanging the exhaust pipes IF you are installing their headers.If you are installing headers the best thing I have found is to check/replace both motormounts and tranny mount and you will have better fit.I'm not being smart about reading the instructions but it would have saved me time and headaches if I would have on the first 4 installations. Good Luck !

Re: Any tips for TTI install, E-body [Re: Darter6] #1207158
04/01/12 12:59 AM
04/01/12 12:59 AM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

Do yourself a big favor and READ the instructions,, then read them again.It will give you measurements for the rear hangers.Also it states to start at the rear and work foward.This is for hanging the exhaust pipes IF you are installing their headers.If you are installing headers the best thing I have found is to check/replace both motormounts and tranny mount and you will have better fit.I'm not being smart about reading the instructions but it would have saved me time and headaches if I would have on the first 4 installations. Good Luck !

I second that.

Got 'em on mine. The headers were in first, as they went in with the engine/trans from the bottom. The rest went from rear to front. Actually, it was easier that way, as I tried to dork around with it from front to rear. The rear pipes are pretty critical as far as clearance with shocks, tank, diff housing, rear sway bar, brake hose, etc. Then, muffs have to just right, etc. etc.

Re: Any tips for TTI install, E-body [Re: MoparMarq] #1207159
04/01/12 08:11 AM
04/01/12 08:11 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
follow the directions. they are pretty good. followed them step by step when installing them in my dart and they went right in. no issues at all.

also make sure before you start the car you read what the directions say about cleaning them.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com