03/31/12 05:19 AM
03/31/12 05:19 AM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline OP
Winchester 73  Offline OP
W

Washington State, USA
does anyone think riveting strips of metal to seal the doors of say a duster to the quarter and fender so the side of the body would become one sheet would help handeling?im not going to do this just thinking.

Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: Winchester 73] #1206858
03/31/12 10:38 AM
03/31/12 10:38 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Not really. The flex in the body stops once other components of the door strikes, sills, and hinges reach interference points to halt the movement. A thin sheet put in sheer will only twist along with the rest of the panel.

Try the old jack up one corner and open the door trick to see what I'm talking about.

Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: Winchester 73] #1206859
03/31/12 12:48 PM
03/31/12 12:48 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

does anyone think riveting strips of metal to seal the doors of say a duster to the quarter and fender so the side of the body would become one sheet would help handeling?im not going to do this just thinking.

1. It can't hurt
2. The key to achieving high success would be how rigid your connection would be, continuous welding, structuaral epoxy, lots of rivets, etc
3. Basically you would be heading towards a monocoque design style http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque
4. Likely would not make a great improvement, but I like the idea

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: jcc] #1206860
04/01/12 02:38 AM
04/01/12 02:38 AM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Thats how monocoque airplane structures are built, most of the load is in the skin, the stringers and ribs are there to give shape and pass the loads from one skin to the next.....Tim

Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: astjp2] #1206861
04/01/12 08:00 PM
04/01/12 08:00 PM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline OP
W

Washington State, USA
Quote:

Thats how monocoque airplane structures are built, most of the load is in the skin, the stringers and ribs are there to give shape and pass the loads from one skin to the next.....Tim

exactly what i was thinking!i think two staggered rows of rivets onthe the front ,rear and lower door seem would tie the car together very well.a buddy of mine builds derby cars and swears by welding the trunk all the way around and ovaling the mounting holes in the fenders to push them in untill the hood will bearly shut.i think it would be a lot more than trivial support.think about what subframe connectors do for the feel of a car.i feally think the structurall flaw in cars is the big hole in the side leaving only the roof arch for support.

once i scrapped a duster body and decided to cut the roof off to seewhat a duster convertible would look like (cool as hell! btw).you could then stand in the middle of the floor and use the car as a trampoline with the doors open. .so i was thinking hmmmmmmmmm

Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: Winchester 73] #1206862
04/02/12 10:33 AM
04/02/12 10:33 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
The problem with that experiment is that the roof is actually the major structural member in a unibody car. Simply riveting sheet steel in place of the doors, while it would help, would not replace the integrity you lost with the roof. Similarly, unless you have a Jeep, rarely do you see cars driving around without doors. The doors are structual members and all the sills, latches and hinges are integral components.

Also, airplanes and monococque racing bodies are designed with integrated components to support structual loading. A automotive uni-body has to make concessions to asthetics and design, so it cannot function in truly the same way. It requires some sort of additional structural members to support not just the skin, but all the various loads applied to it. This is why there are spaceframes and subframes built in to unitized construction. All those folds and bends and bulkheads we find annoying when building a car, actually are integrated support members.

Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: TC@HP2] #1206863
04/03/12 04:07 AM
04/03/12 04:07 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Maybe i'm misreading this, but why would you rivet something instead ov welding it?

While impractical, it would have to be better. Hell... it worked for the Duke boys... Yee haw.

Re: i wonder if this would work [Re: TC@HP2] #1206864
04/04/12 01:05 AM
04/04/12 01:05 AM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline OP
W

Washington State, USA
Quote:

The problem with that experiment is that the roof is actually the major structural member in a unibody car. Simply riveting sheet steel in place of the doors, while it would help, would not replace the integrity you lost with the roof. Similarly, unless you have a Jeep, rarely do you see cars driving around without doors. The doors are structual members and all the sills, latches and hinges are integral components.

Also, airplanes and monococque racing bodies are designed with integrated components to support structual loading. A automotive uni-body has to make concessions to asthetics and design, so it cannot function in truly the same way. It requires some sort of additional structural members to support not just the skin, but all the various loads applied to it. This is why there are spaceframes and subframes built in to unitized construction. All those folds and bends and bulkheads we find annoying when building a car, actually are integrated support members.

to me the cup is half empty,removing the roof only shows how much support the rest of the structure does not have.

anybody ever notice that a four door abody or b body always feels stiffer than its counterpart two door?

i cant think im crazy,for god sakes people go nuts over finding post cars for drag racing as if that little strap of metal between the windows makes a big differance.