03/29/12 12:58 AM
03/29/12 12:58 AM
Georgia
72440CUDA Offline OP
super stock
72440CUDA  Offline OP
super stock

Georgia
...for several reasons. 40 year old wiring that has been hacked, spliced, melted, yada-yada. It has a draw that will drian the battery over night.

So I'm looking at my options for a replacement kit.
Year One harnesses, American Autowire Classic update harness, Painless harness.

I'm looking to bypass the stock ammeter and the AAW harness already does this. http://www.americanautowire.com/7074Cuda.html However, I'm runnung factory air, but this kit won't support factory air. I'm not sure if I could incorportate my original A/C wiring to work with it. I would also need to swap to a one wire altenator. This is more of universal blanket kit for e-bodys with factory connections.

The Year One harnesses would be more of a factory restoration replacement. I would need to order each section separately. I would need to modify it to bypass the factory ammeter. I'm also running MSD ignition, some after market gages, and an updated stereo. So regardless, I would have to modify it. I'm not sure if it would be good to run a higher output alt. with this.

The Painless seems like it would be the most work and it wouldn't come with factory style connectors.

I'm leaning more towards the Classic update harness because my car isn't 100% stock.

Any thoughts suggestions.

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: 72440CUDA] #1205553
03/29/12 01:47 AM
03/29/12 01:47 AM
NE
B
bigtail Offline
mopar
bigtail  Offline
mopar
B

NE
Everyone that I have read that has used the American Autowire swears by it. Way cheaper than yearone, and allows you to upgrade.

This page is made up completely of recycled electrons.
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: bigtail] #1205554
03/30/12 12:51 AM
03/30/12 12:51 AM
Georgia
72440CUDA Offline OP
super stock
72440CUDA  Offline OP
super stock

Georgia
Cool, just ordered the AAW update harness from a supplier on e-bay. I should have it at the house just in time for when I get back.

AAW looks to have excellent tech support/diagrams.

I think the only thing I'll need to do is look for a 1-wire alt.

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: 72440CUDA] #1205555
03/30/12 06:36 AM
03/30/12 06:36 AM
places
79powerwagon Offline
Too Many Posts
79powerwagon  Offline
Too Many Posts

places
http://www.kwikwire.com/

I've bought a few of these already. Not only EXCELLENT quality, they happen to be about 45 minutes away for when I had problems. I'd have bought anyway regardless of their location. Very nice kits, very nice pricing, very nice service!

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: 72440CUDA] #1205556
03/30/12 12:18 PM
03/30/12 12:18 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
i didn't realize the Classic update was already out. heard they were working on it but didn't know they released it.

i used the AAW highway 22 kit when we re-wired my dart. awesome very complete kit. thats one of the places where the AAW kits differ from the cheaper ones. the cheaper ones are not nearly as complete.

you can ad a stock charging system to your car if you didn't want to go single wire. shouldn't be a big deal at all.

i'm sure adding a/c will be easy enough also. surprised that they don't include a/c wiring because thats such a common upgrade you would think they would have an option for it.

if you have any problems call and ask for donnie. he is the one that designs most of the wiring kits i believe.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: abodyjoe] #1205557
03/30/12 12:27 PM
03/30/12 12:27 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
i went with the stock charging system. if i did it over again i would stick a 1 wire style gm alt in the car. not that i have had any problems with the stock style set up but the GM alt has in internal regulator and its less wires under there.

anyway this ( pic below) is how we wired the charging system. i'm also running a stock style ign system. may be going HEI in the near future though. the highway 22 is more a street rod style kit so it was really easy to adapt to what i wanted at the time. the classic update may be more difficult to add to but i doubt it will be a problem..

i also used the GM column plug. i liked the GM style plug better. plus if i ever go aftermarket on the column its plug and play now.. the wires were in the sam order on the two plugs..

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: abodyjoe] #1205558
04/01/12 01:31 AM
04/01/12 01:31 AM
Georgia
72440CUDA Offline OP
super stock
72440CUDA  Offline OP
super stock

Georgia
Awesome. Thanks for the input. I'm looking at the Powermaster 140 amp 1 wire GM style alt. Might be overkill for now, but I might switch to electric fans later on. I'm already running electric fuel pump, A/C, MSD ignition, and stereo.

This harness has wiring for stock heater and a power wire for "aftermarket A/C" but it isn't a direct plug and play for factory A/C. I guess there were too many different ways this wiring was ran between the years. I'm sure I'll be able to make something work.

I hear you about the ignition harness. I have a new replacement that I had to cut and splice because the factory dash side connector was burnt.
At least with this harness, I'll fininsh cutting the connector off, crimp new fittings and use a new connector.

Sounds like I might be the first one here switching to the update harness. I'll be sure to share my experience here during the build.

I can tell already this is going to snowball on me. I'm going to want to clean up my engine bay and hide wiring, MSD box, A/C and heater hoses, switch to all matching Autometer gauges...

Last edited by 72440CUDA; 04/01/12 01:38 AM.
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: 72440CUDA] #1205559
04/01/12 08:50 AM
04/01/12 08:50 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I'm looking at the Powermaster 140 amp 1 wire GM style alt. Might be overkill for now, but I might switch to electric fans later on. I'm already running electric fuel pump, A/C, MSD ignition, and stereo.

This harness has wiring for stock heater and a power wire for "aftermarket A/C" but it isn't a direct plug and play for factory A/C. I guess there were too many different ways this wiring was ran between the years. I'm sure I'll be able to make something work.

I hear you about the ignition harness. I have a new replacement that I had to cut and splice because the factory dash side connector was burnt.
At least with this harness, I'll fininsh cutting the connector off, crimp new fittings and use a new connector.

Sounds like I might be the first one here switching to the update harness. I'll be sure to share my experience here during the build.

I can tell already this is going to snowball on me. I'm going to want to clean up my engine bay and hide wiring, MSD box, A/C and heater hoses, switch to all matching Autometer gauges...

may as well go with the big amp alt. the harness will handle it so why not. you'll be able to add anything you want down the road. lol.

i guess being a classic update they figure your gonna upgrade to a non-original a/c set up. either way it should be an easy wire job to get it to work.

keep us updated on how it goes. hopefully they will bring an entire line of mopar harnesses out. and call them and give them your feedback when your done. i know they will like to know how it goes either way.

the day i was picking up my kit we got to talking and they were saying they were thinking of putting out a line of classic updates for mopars. they were worried about selling enough of them. i told them to go for it. that enough guys are modifying their cars with modern motors that they should sell. they ended up being pretty impressed with mopar sales after the wiring article of my dart hit the shelves in automotive enthusiast magazine. guess it made the decision easier for them. i didn't think that many guys actually read that magazine. lol.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: abodyjoe] #1205560
04/01/12 12:49 PM
04/01/12 12:49 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
i have installed a painless kit in a mopar, before it came out and i am currently finishing up a american autowire kit.

If you want more of a "factory" look then I would choose the american autowire.

I have not had too many complaints about either. The directions in the american autowire were not real user friendly, but I was also using a camaro kit in a firebird, so its not a real fair comparison.

the only thing i really did not like about the painless kit, is it did not retain the bulk head style connector, where it looks like american autowire will.

On both cars, the wiring was hidden inside the fender well and at the top of a core support.

I might have a small "issue" with the american autowire kit, but havent worked on it since i found it.

good luck

jm

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: wldtm] #1205561
04/01/12 12:57 PM
04/01/12 12:57 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Question for all you guys.

What made you decide do you go with aftermarket/non original wiring when beautiful high quality reproductions are available which simply swaps out with your old factory wiring?

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1205562
04/01/12 01:01 PM
04/01/12 01:01 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
I made my own engine harness because:
1) MSD ignition
2) Non-Stock Coil Placement
3) Ability to route wires according to my choosing.

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1205563
04/01/12 01:12 PM
04/01/12 01:12 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

What made you decide do you go with aftermarket/non original wiring when beautiful high quality reproductions are available which simply swaps out with your old factory wiring?

1) the painless kit was for a hemi dart, so it didnt need stuff like wipers/horns/some interior/exterior lights

2) the other gm car was a resto-mod. it has an ls2, so factory wasnt even a concer.

3)and from what i have seen, the other reason for a car not being restored to factory, cost would be the other reason.

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: wldtm] #1205564
04/01/12 01:14 PM
04/01/12 01:14 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

1) MSD ignition

1. Ok, why can't you run MSD with a stock harness?
2. One or two wires modified warrants replacing the entire harness?
3. Like what/where for example?

Quote:

1) the painless kit was for a hemi dart, so it didnt need stuff like wipers/horns/some interior/exterior lights

2) the other gm car was a resto-mod. it has an ls2, so factory wasnt even a concer.

Ok, I get #1 and #2.

How much is the Painless kit as compared to the M&H harness?

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #1205565
04/01/12 01:25 PM
04/01/12 01:25 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Adding addition info to my previous post:

Quote:

I made my own engine harness because:
1) MSD ignition--routed power wire direct to battery feed, bypassing AMP guage/bulkhead connector. Remember also that MSD does not require Ballast, therefore that wiring is eliminated.
4) Ability to color coordinate to MY choosing--most of the wire colors chosen were the same though.
5) Ability to increase wire gauge where desired--MSD, Alternator power wire.
6) 440 source water pump housing (temp sender in different location)
7) Desire to have NON-wrapped housing (its carefully zip-tied every 6" with small ties)--this makes future modifications VERY easy.
Quote:

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1205566
04/01/12 01:27 PM
04/01/12 01:27 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
the under dash harness from year one (probably a little overpriced) for an e body is about $550. add on front and rear lights, and thats 200-300$ more.
add on engine harness and thats about 150-200$

the american autowire is 699$ for all of it.

Again, restoration, probably wouldnt recommend the classic update kit from american autowire, but for a nice driver, street/strip, cruiser, not worried about originality I would consider it.

I do like the factory look alot, but when you add on aftermarket radios, msd ignition, elec fuel pump, there is an accessory plug on american autowire kit, with extra fuse places for more accessories.

Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1205567
04/01/12 09:29 PM
04/01/12 09:29 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

the highway 22 kit i got for under $400. its protected by a mega fuse, has circuits for just about anything i ever want to install. no amp gauge, can run a higher amp alt safely, more fuses with less on each fuse, doesn't use those glass fuses, built in relays and flashers, wires are not pre connected to the fuse box so i had the freedom to put the box anywhere and run the wires the way i wanted them. just a lot nicer set up then OEM in my opinion. for a stock resto the year one set up is fine. hell i have installed bits and pieces of M&H harnesses and they do fit and work nice on a stock car. i'm sure there are other reasons that didn't come to mind right away.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: So I want to re-wire my car... [Re: abodyjoe] #1205568
04/01/12 11:47 PM
04/01/12 11:47 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
I used the Painless Mopar setup for my car with all the custom gauges, MSD, electric fans, etc...

It was fairly easy, but just a pain to route and transfer all connections over.

Ryan