08/21/13 03:32 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Scary stuff. Nice pictures!
I was banned from this site for a few months. During that time I swapped in the K member that inspired this thread.
In April, I took the Charger on a 1000 mile road trip from Nor Cal to Van Nuys for their Spring Fling car show. During the trip, I started hearing some noises coming from the front end. Back at home I found that both lower control arm bushings were shedding rubber. I figured that since replacing them meant I'd need an alignment, I might as well make a few other changes. I swapped in the welded k member. As the original came out, I found that the RH motor mount was broken! I decided at this time to switch to the Moog offset UCA bushings to achieve more Caster.
I was able to get the car aligned to a set of specs that wasn't possible before. 1/2 degree of NEG camber, 1/8" toe IN and 5 degrees of POS caster. The car responds great, but I haven't really thrashed on it very hard since the changes. The weather warmed up and I started in on ways to eliminate the detonation. I've had threads in other forums here on that topic so I won't bother you with those details here.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: Kern Dog] #1188860
09/24/13 04:26 AM
09/24/13 04:26 AM
Utah, USA
X
xpk Offline
xpk  Offline
X

Utah, USA
I was looking for information on tubular K members and ran into this site. I have read some of the forums in the past and decided to join. I retired a couple of years ago after working 45+ years in industrial construction. I worked as an "exotic metals welder" for much of that time. I was certified to weld on high pressure critical piping and pressure vessels. I also had certifications to weld on "space frames", aircraft frames, race car chassis and roll cages, and several others. I am just setting out my credentials for the comments I am going to make.

Welding on car frames, suspension components, roll cages, and other critical parts of a car is not for beginners. If any of the components were to fail from improper welding technique, preparation, post weld heat treatment, or any of dozens of other issues, you would be responsible and liable for any injuries or damage to others and their property. I have seen hundreds of weld failures due to poor welding or a complete lack of experience and metallurgy knowledge by the welder. Mig welding with the small units popular today has little to no penetration in the parent metal and offers very low strength in the finished weld. Especially when much of it is ground off after the weld is completed. Grease, oil products, paint, rust, lack of proper surface preparation, and other issues prevent a good weld from being performed in many cases. Using improper alloy welding wire, and incorrect settings on the machine, and other issues unrecognized by by inexperienced DIY'ers create a situation where many welds are doomed to fail - sooner or later. Most welds done by inexperienced people will not be obvious to them as to how weak they actually are. I strongly suggest that if you are going to weld on your or someone else's car, that you take real classes from a certified professional and learn to do it correctly. If you can't weld to a world class standard, take it to someone who can. Yours, and others lives may depend on it.

All that being said, I have seen many failures of the factory welds and base metal on the chassis and suspension of many cars. I welded up most of the factory seams and junctions of frame members on the cars I was racing or using for higher performance. In all cases the extra weld reinforcement and added weld area increased chassis stiffness and improved the dynamics of the working suspension components. Carefully plan and design any modifications.

Most all cars are built with a corporate eye strongly focused on the bottom line. Anything that can be left out during the production process, usually is. Any extra metal added to the car, or time spent welding the chassis or body is money lost from profits to shareholders. The bare minimum is often the maximum allowed. So, almost all cars will benefit greatly from judicious reinforcement of welded joints and added support from braces, stiffeners, extra crossmembers, and sub-frame connectors. Just be very carefull that you do it properly.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: xpk] #1188861
09/24/13 10:44 AM
09/24/13 10:44 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

I was looking for information on tubular K members and ran into this site. I have read some of the forums in the past and decided to join. I retired a couple of years ago after working 45+ years in industrial construction. I worked as an "exotic metals welder" for much of that time. I was certified to weld on high pressure critical piping and pressure vessels. I also had certifications to weld on "space frames", aircraft frames, race car chassis and roll cages, and several others. I am just setting out my credentials for the comments I am going to make.

Welding on car frames, suspension components, roll cages, and other critical parts of a car is not for beginners. If any of the components were to fail from improper welding technique, preparation, post weld heat treatment, or any of dozens of other issues, you would be responsible and liable for any injuries or damage to others and their property. I have seen hundreds of weld failures due to poor welding or a complete lack of experience and metallurgy knowledge by the welder. Mig welding with the small units popular today has little to no penetration in the parent metal and offers very low strength in the finished weld. Especially when much of it is ground off after the weld is completed. Grease, oil products, paint, rust, lack of proper surface preparation, and other issues prevent a good weld from being performed in many cases. Using improper alloy welding wire, and incorrect settings on the machine, and other issues unrecognized by by inexperienced DIY'ers create a situation where many welds are doomed to fail - sooner or later. Most welds done by inexperienced people will not be obvious to them as to how weak they actually are. I strongly suggest that if you are going to weld on your or someone else's car, that you take real classes from a certified professional and learn to do it correctly. If you can't weld to a world class standard, take it to someone who can. Yours, and others lives may depend on it.

All that being said, I have seen many failures of the factory welds and base metal on the chassis and suspension of many cars. I welded up most of the factory seams and junctions of frame members on the cars I was racing or using for higher performance. In all cases the extra weld reinforcement and added weld area increased chassis stiffness and improved the dynamics of the working suspension components. Carefully plan and design any modifications.

Most all cars are built with a corporate eye strongly focused on the bottom line. Anything that can be left out during the production process, usually is. Any extra metal added to the car, or time spent welding the chassis or body is money lost from profits to shareholders. The bare minimum is often the maximum allowed. So, almost all cars will benefit greatly from judicious reinforcement of welded joints and added support from braces, stiffeners, extra crossmembers, and sub-frame connectors. Just be very carefull that you do it properly.

Well put. Just because you have a welder, doesn't make you a welder. These Harbor Freight machines and the work they bring into my shop scare me. That said, the K frames I do go through 4 prep steps of dipping, baking, burning and blasting before I weld on them an i STILL have to stop beads due to contamination.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1188862
09/24/13 11:13 AM
09/24/13 11:13 AM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
I have a set of the Firm Feel K member plates here new in a box with the skid plate if someone wants to make their K frame more rigid.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: xpk] #1188863
09/24/13 12:21 PM
09/24/13 12:21 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

So you are saying the plethora of 140Amp hobby machines are for hobbies and not car frames? They won't listen.

I would though like to hear your comments on post weld heat treatment, if/as it relates to this topic.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: jcc] #1188864
09/24/13 01:19 PM
09/24/13 01:19 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Some DIY's know how to weld though guys. I bet 80% of us can out weld most "welders" in this country.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: 72Swinger] #1188865
09/25/13 10:30 PM
09/25/13 10:30 PM
Montreal PQ, Canada
74_360_Cuda Offline
enthusiast
74_360_Cuda  Offline
enthusiast

Montreal PQ, Canada
I don't know about the 80% but some of DIY guys like me have proper judgment in what is safe to do yourself and what is not...

If your weld is not in a high stress area and if a failure of your weld would not compromise the structural integrity of your car then I don't see why I would not do it myself.

For example I have welded the gussets on my LCA myself but I would never have welded my steering adapter for my Borgeson Box myself, I am not stupid!

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: 74_360_Cuda] #1188866
09/26/13 04:34 AM
09/26/13 04:34 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
I personally think using the steering adapter as an example is a bad one, as that part, although very important ofcourse, is hardly stressed at all during operation. I could imagine an LCA strut could be stressed higher.
How much force does this adapter actually see from our hands?

Of course if one's welding skill resembles something like making cranberries than that person shouldn't touch the car with a welder at all.
But I agree it's better to be safe than sorry.

A man needs to know his limitations...

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1188867
09/26/13 06:34 PM
09/26/13 06:34 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
If you want to get serious about welding it might not hurt to look at what the local community colleges have to offer. Ours has some serious welding classes, being in oil field country.

Cheap at any cost, imo.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1188868
09/26/13 10:51 PM
09/26/13 10:51 PM
Montreal PQ, Canada
74_360_Cuda Offline
enthusiast
74_360_Cuda  Offline
enthusiast

Montreal PQ, Canada
Quote:

I personally think using the steering adapter as an example is a bad one, as that part, although very important of course, is hardly stressed at all during operation. I could imagine an LCA strut could be stressed higher.
How much force does this adapter actually see from our hands?

Wow, that's kind of harsh,

Having high load and high stress are different things. If a part see high load it does not mean it has high internal stress level. These OEM LCA are over designed, never read any report of failure on any forum. By welding gussets at the end of the stiffening flanges I reduce even more the stress level in the part and if half of my welding is bad I still have a stronger part.

The steering adapter is small and round, more prone for rapid crack propagation. My weld would be the only one taking all the load in shear. If half of my welding is bad, it could take only one hard hit on the road to have a catastrophic failure.

I don't pretend that everything I said is exact and a stress engineer might prove me wrong but it is just to demonstrate my point that some of us, DIY's, do care about our safety and do put some though about it.

BTW, the TIG welding on the Bergman's adapter is top notch, money we'll spent

Last edited by 74_360_Cuda; 09/26/13 11:28 PM.
Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: 74_360_Cuda] #1188869
09/27/13 08:05 AM
09/27/13 08:05 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
No harshness was intended, hence the Eastwood quote on the end.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: Supercuda] #1188870
09/27/13 08:26 AM
09/27/13 08:26 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

If you want to get serious about welding it might not hurt to look at what the local community colleges have to offer. Ours has some serious welding classes, being in oil field country.

Cheap at any cost, imo.

This is what I did many years ago, went to night school to learn the basics.

I'm not a great welder because I don't weld everyday, but I have saved myself ton's of money over the last 25 years by doing it myself.

It's a skill that is so worth learning imo.

And I would invest in a 220 machine, not a 110 machine when it comes time to buy a welder. That way you only have to buy one welder.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: 74_360_Cuda] #1188871
09/27/13 11:26 AM
09/27/13 11:26 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, that's kind of harsh,

Having high load and high stress are different things. If a part see high load it does not mean it has high internal stress level. These OEM LCA are over designed, never read any report of failure on any forum. By welding gussets at the end of the stiffening flanges I reduce even more the stress level in the part and if half of my welding is bad I still have a stronger part.

The Clint quote, IMO goes over most people heads in my experience. Overconfidence, ie not knowing one's limits, has a long history of failures. The other side of course is no action because of fear of failure, the correct balance, and/or luck is the sweet spot we seek.

I don't feel anything here yet is harsh, maybe direct and sincere.

Speaking in terms of high load vs high stress in this format is likely just semantics IMO. High load is usually relative to the item being loaded, therefore it is high stress if part is near its limits, we seldom care how the load forces on the LCA compares to the license plate bracket load forces, for instance.

However reinforcing an OEM part without any real history of past failures, and needing no proven special requirement for additional strength, and saying no matter what the weld quality, it will be stronger in the outcome, reminds me of the Clint quote. There are induced stresses imputed when welding, There are stress risers created in changing cross sectional thicknesses by adding reinforcements, etc. Saying the item is stronger categorically is a leap of faith IMO.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: Kern Dog] #1188872
09/27/13 10:18 PM
09/27/13 10:18 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Paul, I see your point, but I'd also invite you over and try prying apart the welds I made with my limited experience and Lincoln 175 MIG. The gussets for the steering box do not look show-car-pretty, but they did add strength in an area that needed it. The skid plate I made provides some deflrction protection for the oil pan.
It seems in poor form to join a site and begin with trying to "educate" people that have been here for years. I can see if you are trying to help, but you went about it wrong.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: Kern Dog] #1188873
09/27/13 10:48 PM
09/27/13 10:48 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Paul,......
It seems in poor form to join a site and begin with trying to "educate" people that have been here for years. I can see if you are trying to help, but you went about it wrong.

Kinda "harsh" on a first timer, don't you think?

The guy might have a wealth of experience to share, and he spoke his peace, I just hope he sticks it out and adds to the discussion. And IMO, I don't think anybody here has been here long enough to get a free pass on any topic.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: jcc] #1188874
09/28/13 03:06 AM
09/28/13 03:06 AM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
I think he's generally spot on, 115v MIG's are properly for body/exhaust work or experts.

That being said, the vast majority of automotive metal being welded on is mild steel, and it's the most forgiving stuff out there. You still have issues of cold lap, limited penetration, etc, but you don't have to worry about embrittlement, softening, post-heat, etc. S/F....Ken M

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: EchoSixMike] #1188875
10/01/13 12:09 AM
10/01/13 12:09 AM
Way North Idaho
1KoolBee Offline
enthusiast
1KoolBee  Offline
enthusiast

Way North Idaho
Quote:

You still have issues of cold lap, limited penetration, etc,

LOL - were you referring to the factory welds or the ones the owners made? The 70 k-member I'm getting ready to weld has it all, poor penetration, porosity, missing welds, etc. Its amazing the thing survived all these years without coming apart, yet there's no cracks or failures anywhere.

I whole-heartedly agree with your points but with reasonable care, technique, & proper heat settings, I can only make it stronger as the factory welds were pretty crappy:)

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec
Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: 1KoolBee] #1188876
10/01/13 01:42 AM
10/01/13 01:42 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Absolutely.

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: 1KoolBee] #1188877
10/01/13 09:29 PM
10/01/13 09:29 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Quote:

Quote:

LOL - were you referring to the factory welds or the ones the owners made? The 70 k-member I'm getting ready to weld has it all, poor penetration, porosity, missing welds, etc. Its amazing the thing survived all these years without coming apart, yet there's no cracks or failures anywhere.

I whole-heartedly agree with your points but with reasonable care, technique, & proper heat settings, I can only make it stronger as the factory welds were pretty crappy:)

^^^THIS SO MUCH.^^^
Some people can break an anvil with a feather, I've seen it and fixed it. Before I became a civil servant I made plenty of $$$ fixing cars for DIY hacks. The K member that I modded was welded by a drunken monkey and though it held up, I have an engine that has more than 2X the stock HP and will pull close to 2X the G forces than the stock car could. Some people are quite naive about the engineering or execution of the construction of these old cars and ignorant of the effectiveness of aftermarket mods. "Stupid is as Stupid Does"

Re: WELDED K member pictures [Re: Skeptic] #1188878
10/01/13 10:26 PM
10/01/13 10:26 PM
Way North Idaho
1KoolBee Offline
enthusiast
1KoolBee  Offline
enthusiast

Way North Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

^^^THIS SO MUCH.^^^
Some people can break an anvil with a feather, I've seen it and fixed it. Before I became a civil servant I made plenty of $$$ fixing cars for DIY hacks. The K member that I modded was welded by a drunken monkey and though it held up, I have an engine that has more than 2X the stock HP and will pull close to 2X the G forces than the stock car could. Some people are quite naive about the engineering or execution of the construction of these old cars and ignorant of the effectiveness of aftermarket mods. "Stupid is as Stupid Does"

Think You missed the main points:

Point 1: the factory welds suck

Point 2 : Not every DIY'er is a hack.

Point 3: Welding/reinforcing the K-member is not rocket science.

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8