M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Hey guys,

I just received an A833 transmission as a backup to my other one that I currently have in pieces. One thing I noticed about this new unit (all rebuilt on the inside) is that there is quite a bit of play in the input and main shafts. My disassembled unit has the same play, just not as bad. On the disassembled one the bearings are all in great shape. Im going to be taking the new one apart as well and I was wondering if there is a way to tighten up the play in these areas and how I would go about doing it?

I know that with the power I plan on putting down this year, plus the rpm, the less play the better it would seem in terms of gear life

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: mshred] #1175114
02/09/12 12:58 AM
02/09/12 12:58 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
there is a lot of wobble in those shafts. its normal. remember when installed the driveshaft yoke supports the rear of the mainshaft and the pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft supports the input shaft.

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: IMGTX] #1175115
02/09/12 11:28 AM
02/09/12 11:28 AM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

there is a lot of wobble in those shafts. its normal. remember when installed the driveshaft yoke supports the rear of the mainshaft and the pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft supports the input shaft.

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: mshred] #1175116
02/09/12 11:38 AM
02/09/12 11:38 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Main drive pinion ("input shaft") endplay (axially) is strictly related to the condition of its bearing.

Mainshafts, as was noted, will lose a lot of slop when a slipyoke is inserted - assuming the bushing is good!

If you have a 23-spline box, I strongly suggest a swap to a "more balls" (high-load) center bearing.

Be sure the needles in the rear of the MD pinion are fresh, too.

While not directly related to the above, making shims to go behind the countershaft gears's thrust washers, bringing endplay down to the low end of FSM specs, is a big help in lash / slop / noise reduction.

Rick

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1175117
02/10/12 09:45 PM
02/10/12 09:45 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Main drive pinion ("input shaft") endplay (axially) is strictly related to the condition of its bearing.

Mainshafts, as was noted, will lose a lot of slop when a slipyoke is inserted - assuming the bushing is good!

If you have a 23-spline box, I strongly suggest a swap to a "more balls" (high-load) center bearing.

While not directly related to the above, making shims to go behind the countershaft gears's thrust washers, bringing endplay down to the low end of FSM specs, is a big help in lash / slop / noise reduction.

Rick

Good to know that this stuff is normal then

It is a 23 spline box, and that said, what do you mean by swapping to a more balls bearing? by center bearing are you referring to the bearing on the input shaft?

As far as the washers at the countershaft go, thats a good idea as well...im assuming that if I have to make them then none of the 4 speed shops sell them???

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1175118
02/10/12 11:32 PM
02/10/12 11:32 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Rick, what is the bearing part number? Tim

Quote:

Rick

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: astjp2] #1175119
02/11/12 08:16 PM
02/11/12 08:16 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Online tonguue
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Online Tonguue
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Rick

Give Jamie Passon a call as I believe he stocks the high capacity 307 bearing you are asking about.My Richmond came with those bearings from the factory and they are nice.If you have excessive play on the input then your main shaft could be worn out where the rollers ride
Is it loose enough to rub the retainer sleeve?
Gus

7066386-savoyburnout.jpg (202 downloads)

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1175120
02/11/12 10:10 PM
02/11/12 10:10 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rick

Give Jamie Passon a call as I believe he stocks the high capacity 307 bearing you are asking about.My Richmond came with those bearings from the factory and they are nice.If you have excessive play on the input then your main shaft could be worn out where the rollers ride
Gus

I will have to check the mainshaft play to see if it does rub the retainer sleeve...never thought to look at that.

Also, this high load bearing I am assuming is for the input shaft if you are referring to the 307 retainer

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1175121
02/12/12 01:12 PM
02/12/12 01:12 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rick

Gus

So I pulled the transmission out of the garage today and I wiggled the input shaft, and it seems very very loose inside the retainer. I took a piece of paper, stuck it between the shaft and the bearing retainer, and then wiggled the shaft to try and touch the paper and see if I could pull the paper out- I can't, it will tear inside...but if I wiggle the shaft upwards, I can slide the paper in still, albeit not as far in as when I stuck the paper in first....Hopefully all of what I just said makes sense lol

With that said, what could the problem be? If its just a new input bearing, that would be great. Don't want to have to buy a whole new mainshaft if the surface where the rollers ride is worn

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: mshred] #1175122
02/12/12 01:56 PM
02/12/12 01:56 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Didn't you say you put in a new bearing ? If so have you checked the run out of the bellhousing ?

Change the bearing , it can't get worse . As far as getting a new mainshaft ... good luck , I've been looking for an A body mainshaft ... that isn't rust pitted ... that is cheaper than buying a full trans for years .

Re: A833 input and mainshaft play- how to tighten up? [Re: JohnRR] #1175123
02/12/12 02:01 PM
02/12/12 02:01 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Didn't you say you put in a new bearing ? If so have you checked the run out of the bellhousing ?

Change the bearing , it can't get worse . As far as getting a new mainshaft ... good luck , I've been looking for an A body mainshaft ... that isn't rust pitted ... that is cheaper than buying a full trans for years .

No, I never said anything about putting a new bearing in anywhere. I received this transmission all in one piece from a fellow who said that the transmission was supposedly rebuilt a couple of years ago. I got the transmission for free, so im fine with having to do some work to it, just need to figure out what it will need

I have never ran this trans before, but the bellhousing runout is almost spot on when I checked last year

It looks like a new bearing would be the only fix for this? Also, I thought Brewers and Passon carry new mainshafts?

Last edited by mshred; 02/12/12 02:02 PM.