Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: 67autocross] #1160564
01/21/12 03:07 PM
01/21/12 03:07 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My Wife has a 98 Lexus GS thats a great performance sedan and has been super reliable. In fact I can't even think of one thing thats gone wrong with the car from when it was new.
I'm sure that if you looked you should start to find them in your price range, and I know for a fact that it will beat a Crown Vic cop car.

yes but it's about 3x the cost.

Are they still worth that much? You would think that you could pick them up cheap by now , it's 13 years old.

Lexus and its a 300 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-LEXU...=item20c16e1e16

2002 crown Vic (P71) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Ford...=item19ccdf3f24

Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: racealittle] #1160565
01/21/12 03:30 PM
01/21/12 03:30 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

For as tight and narrow autocross course are, I'd think a Crown Vic is just too big and heavy.

I'd think a used Omni GLH(S) or Shadow Shelby with 225/50/15 tires crammed on it would turn better times on an autocross course.

Now on a road course track day, that may be a different deal. And I'm sure a Omni or Shadow would not be as nice a daily driver.

How heavy do you think a police interceptor Crown Vic is? The price is right, the car is balanced, and handles pretty good with cop tires. You have to drive one before you condemn it. Its not the end all, be all. However, it has a spacious interior, generous trunk space, safe design for a family, and a great starting point as is. It is not a floaty, boaty, Vic commonly seen with seniors behind the wheel.

I also would bet that the Vic is more solid than any of the speacially equipped Omni's left on this earth.

If a solid police M body car could be found, it might be a candidate, but I know it would weigh more and lack the safety features that a family deserves.

I don't think the OP can be an all out racer with a family car, but the right car in a tight budget could be fun.

I'm just talking in terms of autocross times. Not condemning Crown Vics. There's obviously going to be some compromises made in terms of practicality.

The OP mention cars that range in size from a Neon to Diplomat. And didn't say how big his family was going to get.

Some other cars not mentioned...A Mazda 626 performance version and Ford Probe GT (same cars) were competitive Solo II G-Stock cars back in the mid 90's.

Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: autoxcuda] #1160566
01/21/12 10:25 PM
01/21/12 10:25 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
If your not stuck on Mopar the best you'll do for a $2500 budget is a BMW e30 or e36 3-series sedan. Small, lightweight, nimble, rwd and tons of aftermarket.

If you must stay Mopar then it's Neon all the way. Same attributes as the little Bimmers, except fwd.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: DUFFMAN] #1160567
01/21/12 10:32 PM
01/21/12 10:32 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
From my experience trying to adapt any big street car for decent track use, the biggest and most important shortcoming will be the brakes, after a few how laps in the summer time, the guard rails will likely win. A small/light car may have the same issues, but likely easier to solve, with pad choice, high temp brake fluid, and basic ductwork. It is not a lot of fun worrying about your brakes as you approach your braking points.

My bad, I thought this thread started out as an AX OR track use car question, hardly anything I mentioned above applies for AX, as also stated in the following thread.

Last edited by jcc; 01/22/12 03:33 PM.
Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: jcc] #1160568
01/22/12 01:10 AM
01/22/12 01:10 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
While there are some aspects of autocross use that transfer to track use there are a number of things that do not. Stock brakes correctly adjusted with fresh fluid are fine, with the exception of a very few number of vehicles. This is why I did not list factory brakes as an item that will kill the fun factor for someone getting his feet wet.

Maybe more critical is for those who have not (yet) participated is to understand that autocross is not like driving on the street. There are no straights and there is no time to catch your breath. Autocross is all about transition and thinking ahead for 50 - 70 seconds non-stop. You must be comfortable in the vehicle so you're not thinking about it. That's the key. A guy who drives a pickup truck will likely be fine in da*$ near anything, at least RWD

The OP, or anypone else getting started should just show up with whatever they've got and learn the game. Since you're changing vehicles I threw out some guidelines of what will keep it reasonable fun. Everyone has a limit where if something is too difficult they get frustrated. The OP did not say anything about winning, but a person who has a low tolerance for finishing dead last should start with the rule book and by showing up and observing. Without knowing the classing structure and what's hot, what was hot, and what might be hot, you're clueless. There are some decent handling street cars that don't class well a particular year (or more) and vicaversa. There are also cars that are great on a track or street but are difficult to make into good autocrossers.

Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: Mattax] #1160569
01/23/12 07:59 AM
01/23/12 07:59 AM
Springfield, Ohio
S
shortbed88 Offline OP
shortbed88  Offline OP
S

Springfield, Ohio
Thanks for all the ideas. I am not limiting myself to a mopar, I just wanted to see if there might have been models I had not considered. A Ford P71 Crown Vic has been at the front of my list due to the size and current pricing. The reason I left the Neon in the group is I have heard how capable they can be on an AutoX course. I am not sure that it is worth the trade off of giving up the extra space offered by a full size car, but the higher gas mileage is tempting. I just plan to go out and drive a few cars and buy something that feels like a good fit. I will expand my search to include some of the other models suggested here. Thanks

1988 Dodge D100 Short bed
Re: Need a new family sedan under $2500 . Looking to AutoX [Re: shortbed88] #1160570
01/24/12 11:31 AM
01/24/12 11:31 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
I agree with the PL crowd (Neon). Any 1G Neon, MT, with some swaybars bolted on, and decent rubber (Dunlop StarSpec for dual-duty) is gonna be hard to beat. Even the 2Gs are decent, albeit porkier.

The tighter the course, the greater the small-car advantage. Around here, I ran my Road Runner in some local events. I could barely see the cones...and a almost hadda back up for some of the corners (like a 3-point U-ey).

Also, even driven like an animal, 30 MPG is pie.

Rick E.

Page 2 of 2 1 2