09/09/08 12:17 PM
09/09/08 12:17 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
You run smodern stereos setups and amps from batt post ( or starter relay stud ) simply because there is not another BUSS source to take the power. That was what built the myth of the need for the batt source to amps.

Then, you have the capacitors to keep the Turbobass speakers working without damage the rest of system and don't damage the amp and speaker because alternator is not quick enough to replace the power that Bass amps and speakers sucks on that moment... Those BUMPS BUMPS ARE TOO QUICK TO alt/regulator sense and feed. Those capacitors are like a Power Buss storage

You can notice in fact when you hit brakes pedal, ammeter shows a slight discharge reading for a second or less untill alternator is able to take back that power and beging to feed the brake lights. Of course that is if alt is charging at iddle. If not, then you won't have recovered that power untill get increased RPMs.

whatever... I already posted my experience. everybody is free to take any advice.

I'm not saying madelectrical option doesn't work, I'm just saying that they are stating some stuff is not 100% true like the location of main splice.

I already posted the meaning of the ammeter reading.

You can run your car without batt, so thats a prove where is the power coming from... what of course is not safe because being a spining device, the ALTERNATOR, regulator loose a fixed voltage reference to keep safe the system, but is posible to make it

If you unplugg the batt, ammeter will stay on death center unless you have stuff plugged on batt side of ammeter. That is a prove what's the device status reading on ammeter. Once again If not batt, no reading on ammeter.

You can notice on burnt bulkheads cavities ALLWAYS the worst damaged you get of both wires is the alt wire location. Is the first to beging to be melt on bulkhead.

well... there are the options, everybody takes the best setup for each one.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? #115859
09/09/08 12:33 PM
09/09/08 12:33 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Why is the car fed from the alternator side? the only reason is to allow the AMMETER to show a CHARGE OR DISCHARGE on the BATTERY.

If everything was hooked up to the battery side, the cars running load plus the battery charging load would flow through the ammeter so you wouldnt get a good indication of battery charging or discharging (cause the cause running load would be in there too).

thats what I'm saying... amm gauge reads the bat status

you don't need to know how much is the car consuming, you need to know whats the batt status, and if is being discharged DANGER... ALT IS NOT FEEDING THE CAR ( and/or batt if got a discharge ) and car will dye as soon you loose the batt reserve

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115860
09/09/08 07:10 PM
09/09/08 07:10 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

one NOTE more

when you crank the engine the power is TOO HIGH than is enough to move the car. I bet you'll have more than 60 amps there in consumption ( more than ammeter is able to read, in fact maybe 80 100 amperes rate ) however the ammeter doesn't read that... WHY ?, BECAUSE POWER to starter motor IS BEFORE THE AMMETER!!!!... the discharge reading is because relay is working, and relay is feeded by ignition switch AFTER the ammeter

Have you ever looked at how the starter is hooked up? 4 gauge directly from the battery positive post to the starter itself, therefore is not fed by the alternator or the dash harness at all. Infact, the car starts fine with no alternator belt at all. The starter is electrically, the farthest away from the alternator. The ignition switch uses a minute amount of current to trip the relay. The discharge is a result of the ignition system. Flip the key to run and you will see this...about 10-15 amps discharge

Think they don't melt, check what the original amp gauge looked like on my car (this car had about 250k miles on it)

I had my car hooked up right after I bought it just as you describe...I would see a great deal of movement with the ammeter. The car also took forever to charge. Otherwise my car had stock wiring. I did the bypass on the dash harness and switched to the voltmeter at the same time. I noticed an improvement of the performance of the electrical system right away. Pretty much rock solid 13.6V at the fuse box.

An ammeter measures current flow through it itself...so anytime current is flowing from the battery, you read discharge...anytime current is flowing to the battery, you get a charge reading. I also agree that the battery dampens out the flow from the alternator.

A modern car ALSO powers all the high amp things from a power center under the hood. The IGN, ABS, A/C, Lights etc power flows from the distribution center under the hood. Since its all supplied from the one spot under the hood, they can use many small wires from there. No high amperage in the cab at all.

I said an 8 gauge wire goes with 100amps...look under the hood on a modern car, you'll find either 6 or 8 gauge wire.

With the alternator hooked directly to the starter relay, anything hooked to that stud is electrically in the same place and at the same potential (voltage) if you ignore the wire and connector resistance. Therefore, there really is not a change on how the dash harness is fed other than I have double the wire area that a stock system does to feed it. It allows the battery to be at the same exact voltage as the dash harness instead of waiting for the extra power to flow all the way through from the losses along the way. If you got an oscilloscope out you'd find a predictable wave form coming from the alternator.

120V or 220V is lower amperage due to its higher potential. You really need to look at watts when you look at it. Power (watts)=I(current)*V(Voltage)

Current is the flow of electrons, the flow of electrons creates the heat that melts things. Home wiring is also solid wire, not stranded.

Also, V=I*R which, when you have the same accessories and wiring being powered, resistance will not change. Therefore the volt gauge tells you easily if the battery is charging. When current flow increases voltage will increase as well.

This is all elementary electronics.

GM and Ford abandoned full flow AMP gauges well before my Duster was even made, I don't find that to be a coincidence.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115861
09/09/08 11:51 PM
09/09/08 11:51 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I need the BRICKWALL icon here from other boards LOL...

nothing of what I said here or said on thread I made and posted here too has been read or paid 100% attention

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115862
09/10/08 12:03 AM
09/10/08 12:03 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

nothing of what I said here or said on thread I made and posted here too has been read or paid 100% attention

Bro know that I am following everything(pro & con) as I want to upgrade my stock system(someday ) & I plan on being VERY informed at that point in time & you are contributing to that. But with that being said argueing on the internet is just like wrestling with a greased pig- you cant win & sooner or later you figure out that the pig likes it. DAMHIK but I will share this that I grew up next to the Omaha stockyards.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: RapidRobert] #115863
09/10/08 12:08 AM
09/10/08 12:08 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Well, I'm not trying to win LOL... just that I'm trying to kill some myths and missinformation what I already kill doing it on my car... not just me, also John Mac ( 71_deputy ) and some other members along some boards with a GREAT SUCCESS, and even better in a "mopar way" LOL without modify anything or drill anything beside the firewall.

what I made Is already on Mopar diagrams for high optioned cars.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115864
09/10/08 08:13 AM
09/10/08 08:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bottom line is this. its not good to have the battery feed to the fuse block coming thru the bulkhead connector because the connector WILL GET HOT and will melt under high load or high resistance (like when there is corrosion)

Same it true about the alternator feed. it is not good to run that wire through the bulkhead connector for the same reason.

Finally, it is debatable whether the ammeter should go or stay but it is safer if it is bypassed as it removes a known potential problem. Mine still works and I still use it. my nuts on the back are still tight and doesnt appear to look like its going to fail. someday, i may regret that decision.

I have worked with electronics all my life. I am fully aware of the workings of the mopar electrical system and where things go wrong and why. typically, it is due to corrosion on those bulkhead terminals or excessive current draw that heats up the terminals, melts the connectors, causes the terminals to oxidize which causes more resitance on the terminals which exasperate the problem (more resistance which means more heat)to the point of a complete failure

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? #115865
09/10/08 11:46 AM
09/10/08 11:46 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I'm agree on part of what you said cucu and thats why I say go throught firewall with parallel wires, to "bypass" the original ones on bulkhead. You don't need to get rid off the original ones if they are not damaged. By OHMS LAW the power will go first for the parallel ones and barelly will go throught the originals.

But to get the original ones also working good, keep them clean. In that way if you run 10 or 8 wires on the parallel wiring, with the stock ones is like you have maybe one 6 gauge wire in total.

will never heat because the extra load not able to pass by the stock ones, will run throught the parallel ones without problem.

On this diagram:
Power throught parallel and stock wires

what is not more than an expanded view of:
THIS ORIGINAL DIAGRAM

the MAIN SPLICE located on alt side of ammeter ( YES THE MAIN SPLICE, NOT THE STARTER RELAY WHAT IS NOT THE MAIN SPLICE ) is being feeded from both sides of stock wire, so you are technically duplicating the wire gauge to feed the splice.

IF BY CASUALITY you are feeding everything on main splice and also batt is getting charged, the parallel wire on black side being thicker is able to send power to the main splice AND the battery without heat. If you try to be logical and analize the diagram, the amm stud does have at that moment 3 times more wire than just the stock wire. not chance to heat there.

The starter relay stud IS NOT A SPLICE by itself, is simply a JUNCTION. If you try to remove the starter relay from there you will get A SINGLE WIRE FROM BATT TO AMMETER with same result, so that's why is not a splice. You can not make that on the splice ilustrated on alt side. a Splice is a source able to feed LOT of devices at the same time with diff wires from one point... is a multiple intersection to deliver the power to different devices demanding power. On starter relay the only demand is the batt JUST if is discharged.

The power to the starter motor is NOT going trhought the starter relay stud and even less TROUGHT THE AMMETER, so not a chance to get the starter motor demand throught the ammeter, just the relay turn on function, that is being activated by ignition switch, what is on THE ALT SIDE of wiring, and that's why you get a discharge reading when cranking.. maybe just 10-15 amps on that moment depending if dome light is on, cortesy lights etc...

The starter motor consumption on cranking is not INSTANTLY recharged by alternator once engine is started up so you don't have to worry about 80 or 100 amperes throught ammeter, it takes about 2 to 5 minutes to get it back depending on alternator output capacity, and on that moment you will get reading on ammeter untill get back needle to center. Of course that is if you have a balanced charging system able to feed/charge at iddle. You will never get when warming engine at 1800 Rpms or so 100 amps even if alternator is 120 amps. Output rate is stated by MAX ouput able to give, that doesn't mean you will get 100 or 120 amps constant, just at HIG RPMs and just if car demands that.

Then talking about the amm studs like a splice. A tighten nut and clean terminals there will never overheat that splice. Trust me. The rust and burning points you find on burt ammeters is not because the heats begans on those studs ( unless tehy are loosen of course ), is because the electrons running throught the ammeter itself INSIDE the ammeter. The heats begans inside, not on studs.

If you get an alt able to feed the car, batt will never ( or barelly ) feed the MAIN splice, so power will never go THROUGHT ammeter, so no heat there. Same backwards, If you keep batt as much as posible out of the game feeding the MAIN splice ( yeah the REAL main splice ), then alternator will never need to recharge batt, because batt will never demand power back, so power will never go throught the ammeter in batt direction.

once again, read this thread I made:
WILL YOU GUYS BE ABLE TO READ HERE ? paying attention HUH

I think I'll make a video too of my car start up and loads being turned on and off to show the ammeter readings at every moment

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115866
09/10/08 06:23 PM
09/10/08 06:23 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

I need the BRICKWALL icon here from other boards LOL...

nothing of what I said here or said on thread I made and posted here too has been read or paid 100% attention [/quote

I would say the same thing. you haven't really provided any way to back up that the battery is standing in the way of providing power to the dash harness. If the alternator is connected directly to the starter relay and then both dash harness wires are connected to the starter relay as well. This merely makes the connection between the battery and the alternator a parallel circuit instead of a series circuit. Therefore, if the battery was not demanding power it wouldn't be getting it. It in no way changes the feed to the main splice.

When installing a very high (more than 78 amp alternator). It simplify the wiring a lot and will make strides when you upgrade to engine bay mounted relays for high current draw.

1) Its a short and simple path to install a large gauge wire to support the high amp alternator
2) It isolates the bulkhead connector so only the dash harness' current draw has to pass through the wiring. Battery charging does not pass through there.
3) Provides a way to get full voltage and current under the hood when controlling high current draws with relays.
4) It should theoretically smooth out the current flow to the dash harness since the current flow direction is NOT changing in a high current draw when there is not sufficient alternator power such as headlights on at idle.
5) The battery will charge faster after a restart since the alternator can be more efficiently utilized for its current output.

Anyway you look at it, if it works for you and you're comfortable with it then fine. I don't trust the factory charging system design for more than 60 amps due to wire size, bulkhead connector, my own experiences, and what I've learned in my electronics courses that I've had to take getting my Mechanical Engineering degree. The OEM's went the same way as years went by as well.

But, that being said, i'm done arguing about it.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115867
01/17/11 12:12 PM
01/17/11 12:12 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
just making a bump, since this is a very good read/discussion

( and I know after couple of years, they are gone )

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115868
01/17/11 02:07 PM
01/17/11 02:07 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
I learned a lot from this board and other websites, researched the options for replacing the alternator in my 1970 'Cuda and re-configuring the wiring to handle increased electrical loads; and found an alternator that bolts right in and out performs any Mopar or Denso alternator equipt system, ESPECIALLY at idle output.

It's the late model Delco-Remy CS144. Mildly worked over, it puts out over 115 amps (if needed) at idle, and near 200 just above idle(again, if needed). Nothing else comes close, bolts right in with a simple adapter or is as reasonably priced. Period.

Last edited by jbc426; 01/17/11 02:34 PM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: jbc426] #115869
01/19/11 12:52 PM
01/19/11 12:52 PM
Dallas, Wisconsin
BurntOrange Offline
enthusiast
BurntOrange  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Wisconsin
Picture?
Simple adapter would look like what?
"Mildly worked over" doing what to it?
http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm
"The CS-144 alternator comes in many different mounting styles and pulley types. The alternator shown is the 6/12 mount with a 6 groove serpentine pulley. This is why we ask for your vehicle details so we can look up what mounting style and pulley type fits your vehicle. We then ship the alternator that fits your vehicle. Special requests for pulley types and mounting styles should be called in."

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: MadMopars] #115870
01/19/11 01:51 PM
01/19/11 01:51 PM
Tucson, AZ
C
cruzin Offline
super stock
cruzin  Offline
super stock
C

Tucson, AZ
Hi Trent, I've had good luck going the Denso route too. I considered the Delco alt and it appears to be a solid setup as well. I ended up going with the Denso because I prefered the compact size and it was compatible with the existing factory bracket that I had. I was able to eliminated the external votage regulator which helps to clean up the engine compartment if that's a consideration.

I've done a couple different cars (both small and big blocks) using the Denso. I've sourced the parts locally if you decide to go this direction and can provide you with addional details if you would like to PM me.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: BurntOrange] #115871
01/20/11 01:35 AM
01/20/11 01:35 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
Quote:

Picture?

I'll try and get some pics on here tomorrow. I had a heavy duty bridge rectifier & voltage regulator installed in mine along with having the stator re-wound. Out of the box, the late model CS 144's put out some impressive numbers. I'll double check the stock output numbers and post them with the pics.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: jbc426] #115872
01/22/11 01:37 PM
01/22/11 01:37 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Picture?

I'll try and get some pics on here tomorrow. I had a heavy duty bridge rectifier & voltage regulator installed in mine along with having the stator re-wound. Out of the box, the late model CS 144's put out some impressive numbers. I'll double check the stock output numbers and post them with the pics.

Here are some pictures of the CS 144 bolted to my RB. ( I painted it and the Sanden A/C compressor satin black to make them less noticable ) Notice the bracket which cost me about $35. The alternator is big, but there is still room left over behind the alternator because I have changed my belt paths slightly for A/C. Using the stock belt paths should work as well, but I haven't tried it.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/a270-delco-chrysler-alternator-conversion-bracket.aspx

I'm running the Bouchillion hidden Sanden A/C pump kit, but I rerouted the belts to get an increase in the number of detgrees of contact that the v-belt has on the pulleys. It was simple to do, but took a little time to get the proper alignment of the belts etc. It works sweet in this configuration, with significantly more degrees of pulley/belt contact on both the alternator and the Sanden compressor.

Stock, the late model CS144 alternators are brutes, but they can be made to put out some incredible amperage with modifications ranging from mild to wild.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/delco-type-cs144-series-alternator.aspx

Last edited by jbc426; 01/22/11 01:52 PM.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: jbc426] #115873
01/22/11 01:38 PM
01/22/11 01:38 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
....a closer shot of the adapter bracket. You can see how I routed the belts for the Sanden A/C pump to crank and the pump to alternator to give the belts greater wrap around the pulleys. By doing this, I increased that belt wrap by over 30 percent on each component. I moved the entire alternator forward using spacers to line it up this way, but in the stock belt-path configuration, the alternator would be back towards the moter more.

With a single v-belt, I needed all the belt to pulley contact I could get on these two potentially high drag items. (Under high current draw the alternator essencially acts like an electric/dynamic brake while producing current, causing high load on the little v-belt)

Last edited by jbc426; 01/22/11 01:53 PM.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: jbc426] #115874
01/23/11 11:58 AM
01/23/11 11:58 AM
nj
J
JAMESDART Offline
mopar
JAMESDART  Offline
mopar
J

nj
could always go with the big dinnerplate police alternator

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: jbc426] #115875
01/23/11 05:47 PM
01/23/11 05:47 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
What did you have to do for wiring for this? Just B+ to the regulator and another pin with a resistor in it?

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115876
01/23/11 07:39 PM
01/23/11 07:39 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I'm just running whatever they put on a late 80's 5th Ave on my New Yorker.

I bypassed the ammeter which was showing signs of trying to burn the car down (crispy) and ran some #8 wire from the Alt to the starter relay so any serious output takes what should be the path of least resistance to the battery.

If the battery is discharged it gets charged directly from the alternator not thru the bulkhead. My car doesn't have any big accessory draws on it so the only thing that should max out the alternator would be a discharged battery.

As for the original question when it comes to charging systems cool is usually better than hot . If I ever need more power I would likely lean toward the Denso product. I saw some reference to Delco and I have to say that in 35 yrs trucking over the road and 3 million plus miles I have NEVER had any luck with a Delco alternator. Leece-Neville has been my preference. Even the new throw away 160 amp ones they sell for under $200 are good for over a 1/2 million miles in my experience. They are a little on the huge side tho.

Kevin

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115877
01/23/11 10:00 PM
01/23/11 10:00 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
One wire to key switched positive. You can also ad an idiot light(with resistor) and remote sensing if you want.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3