09/03/08 08:12 AM
09/03/08 08:12 AM
places
79powerwagon Offline OP
Too Many Posts
79powerwagon  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

places
I'm well aware of the tranny problems these trucks have had. I can get a sweet, clean 4x4 (98) for under a grand, but no reverse.

I can find my way around a 727 without even trying, how different are these? Or is this one of those things that I should leave it to a shop?

Also, what is the real reason for their failure, so it won't happen again?

Re: 90's Ram 4x4, bad tranny [Re: 79powerwagon] #114461
09/03/08 08:59 AM
09/03/08 08:59 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I'm well aware of the tranny problems these trucks have had. I can get a sweet, clean 4x4 (98) for under a grand, but no reverse.

I can find my way around a 727 without even trying, how different are these? Or is this one of those things that I should leave it to a shop?

Also, what is the real reason for their failure, so it won't happen again?

piece of cake , it's pretty much a 727 from the back of maincase forward , the rear drum is held in place by a retaining ring and the rear band is different , but you'd swear it was a 727.

failure , the typical , either the front clutch is not working so it would have no 3rd gear , or a rear servo/band problem . they use electronic circuit for the gov. which is a plus.

front clutch problem could be the inner piston seal, the groove in the drum is machined too deep and after many many heat cycles it gets hard and stop sealing , the way to tell is to put it in reverse and the truck will not go into gear then all of a sudden slam hard into reverse , but since you have no reverse .... they sell a seal that is modified to take care of this issue , a new seal kit from transtar includes both seals

sonnex sells a modified OD piston retainer , get one it has an o ring seal to the case and modified surface that the drum rides on to prevent galling , add a .060 hole in the case to feed the sprag assembly like you would on a 727 .

Re: 90's Ram 4x4, bad tranny [Re: JohnRR] #114462
09/03/08 09:07 AM
09/03/08 09:07 AM
places
79powerwagon Offline OP
Too Many Posts
79powerwagon  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

places
Cool! Sounds easy enough!

Well, easy is a relative term when yanking a tranny and transfer case out of a 4x4...

Re: 90's Ram 4x4, bad tranny [Re: 79powerwagon] #114463
09/03/08 09:27 AM
09/03/08 09:27 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Cool! Sounds easy enough!

Well, easy is a relative term when yanking a tranny and transfer case out of a 4x4...

Words of advise , been there got the battle scars .

First is you MUST SPREAD the frame to get the trans crossmember out , you might be able to the snot out of it to get it out but there is NO WAY it's going back in without MORE .

There is an access hole on the inside of the frame rail just behind the crossmember , I'll have to look at mine tonight but you put the jacking tool of your choice , a 4ton porta power works best but I have used a bottle jack and a jacking screw setup before I got the bottle jack in the past , on the bottom edge of the frame rail at I am pretty sure the rear corner of the hole , just spread the frame enough so you can lift the crossmember up and out the rear after you have jacked up the trans/transfercase and removed the trans mount , then release the pressure off the frame , do the same thing in that order to put it back in . there are 4 holes on the outside of the framerail to get to the nuts for the trans crossmember bolts . Trans hardware is SAE , crossmember stuff is METRIC

The easiest way to handle the assembly now is to REMOVE the transfer case , lower the trans just enough so you can get a stubby ratcheting 9/16 wrench on the top bolts , drain the transfer case first , its not that hard to handle alone , use a floor jack or better a trans jack . Then pull off the trans , best way to get the trans to engine bolts is a LONG extension and a impact grade SWIVEL 9/16 socket .

Reverse disassembly procedure

I have done it a couple times on my back ALONE in about an hour or so.

Re: 90's Ram 4x4, bad tranny [Re: JohnRR] #114464
09/03/08 09:41 AM
09/03/08 09:41 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
No personal experience, but a buddy told me the common issue is control solenoids with small screens that plug, causing low line pressures which cause the friction surfaces to smoke due to slipping.
I would try to avoid doing the R & I more than once, so I'd look into every upgrade and tip for longevity. Maybe even see if there is a local shop that has a transmission dyno.

Re: 90's Ram 4x4, bad tranny [Re: RodStRace] #114465
09/03/08 10:06 AM
09/03/08 10:06 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

No personal experience, but a buddy told me the common issue is control solenoids with small screens that plug, causing low line pressures which cause the friction surfaces to smoke due to slipping.
I would try to avoid doing the R & I more than once, so I'd look into every upgrade and tip for longevity. Maybe even see if there is a local shop that has a transmission dyno.

The solenoids with the small screens are only for control of the lockup clutch in the convertor and the fluid path to apply overdrive , no effect on the line pressure of the unit . The VB looks like a 727/904 unit with another plate bolted on the side the filter bolts to to control the lockup and the OD .