B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Fellas -

I'm going to have to paint my '71 401 4 sp Javelin at some point. It's Canary Yellow now, and the paint is in pretty good shape, but I plan to go back with flat black. Will paint the engine compartment and interior battleship gray. This is my first paint job; may need some help with the bodywork, but plan to do most of it myself and paint it in the garage. This is my road race car, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

This is a rust free California car, so I shouldn't have much rust repair to do. I will have to patch a few holes in the firewall, fenders and quarters (shaving turn signals), rockers (welding up rivet holes for rocker panel trim), and one of the fenders has a dent and some mud in it.

Anyway, I've used some paint stripper in the engine compartment - messy, but works really well. Was thinking about using it for the entire car. I know lots of folks use a sander with 36 grit, but paint stripper seems to work pretty well, too, and would keep from having yellow dust all over the garage.

Would it be ok to go ahead and strip it now, even if it may be a few months before I can get some paint on it? I am a bit worried about it rusting a bit, but it stays in the garage, so won't get wet.

I could also do a soda blast (maybe something from Harbor Freight?), I guess, but the car is not rolling now. Would have to put the front suspension together first so I could roll it out of the garage.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: bulletpruf] #1142306
12/23/11 10:34 AM
12/23/11 10:34 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
Not a chemical guy at all, never want to introduce anymore that needed,
take it have it media blasted, no silica, because silica, can leave residue as well, and come back to haunt you later in the paint life!
as foor the body itself , you would be amazed how fast 36-80 grit takes paint off the panel areas, then just have the jambs and seams blasted,,
go over the bare metal with a self etching primer, then a good base of 2k primer block block block, spray more 2k block again, when you are ready or think your ready call your friend who is a paint guy to look at it , spray your seal primer, paint it !

good luck, when I did my car, it was all by hand , no power tools allowed, they will get you into trouble fast

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: bulletpruf] #1142307
12/23/11 12:05 PM
12/23/11 12:05 PM
Ohio
R
ralphie361 Offline
ralphie361  Offline
R

Ohio
Paint stripper seems to be a mess on big areas, but if you are comfortable with it use it. Soda or sand blasting in your garage will make a huge mess, if you want to blast it, have it done. I use 36 grit on a rotary to knock most of the paint down to original primer and finish off with 80 to not hurt the metal. I am cheap so I always do it this way and works well for me. Would love to have one blasted and be done with it.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: ralphie361] #1142308
12/23/11 01:00 PM
12/23/11 01:00 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
First off, I doubt you have a compressor big enough to handle blasting that yourself. Second, likewise with the blaster. You'd spend more time filling the hopper than blasting the car! Get a pro to blast it and you'll be further ahead timewise and likely finacially too.

If you go the soda root, look into proper surface prep afterwards as there are issues with soda. Nothing that can't easily be resolved with proper prep.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: Stanton] #1142309
12/23/11 01:49 PM
12/23/11 01:49 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

First off, I doubt you have a compressor big enough to handle blasting that yourself. Second, likewise with the blaster. You'd spend more time filling the hopper than blasting the car! Get a pro to blast it and you'll be further ahead timewise and likely finacially too.

If you go the soda root, look into proper surface prep afterwards as there are issues with soda. Nothing that can't easily be resolved with proper prep.

Francis -

Gee, would an 80 gallon two stage belt driven 230v Quincy compressor be too small? I sure hope not, because that's what's sitting about 2' behind the Javelin in my garage...

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: bulletpruf] #1142310
12/23/11 08:55 PM
12/23/11 08:55 PM
Central Utah
Mopargnome Offline
super stock
Mopargnome  Offline
super stock

Central Utah
I am pretty sure that compressor is to small. A friend of mine has a big industrial ingersall-rand trailer compressor to run his blast equipment. It still took 3 days to blast his Challenger.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: Mopargnome] #1142311
12/23/11 09:01 PM
12/23/11 09:01 PM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline
super stock
kilroy  Offline
super stock

Iowa State fan
blasting takes HUGE air, no you dont have enough compressor. You can get some done but youll be overrunning it all the time.

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: bulletpruf] #1142312
12/23/11 09:24 PM
12/23/11 09:24 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Time for a rotissierie...

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: bulletpruf] #1142313
12/23/11 10:01 PM
12/23/11 10:01 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
that compressor will be fine, I use one all the time no issues,
looking at you car , nice car to start with , and shouldn't take long at all to do the work couple nights a week you will be ready for what ever small repairs that need to be addressed.
when it comes time for the 2 k primer take your time, do about 3 coates let that dry, accordingly and then block sand that with 220 or 320 , remember to not sand thru the primer
then spray again 3 coats, block that with 320 or 400 , if it is good you can then wash with soap water light wet sand , prep and put seal primer on look it over, paint it

Last edited by dennismopar73; 12/23/11 10:02 PM.
Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: Challenger 1] #1142314
12/23/11 10:11 PM
12/23/11 10:11 PM
Georgia
M
magiccuda Offline
enthusiast
magiccuda  Offline
enthusiast
M

Georgia
looks like an industrial three horse,I have a Quincy three horse just like it and have sandblasted with it many times. Yes the you have is a big enough compressor to do the job, you will just have to wait on it. When the pressure gets low stop and let it fill up again. Better than paying some one else. Sand is fine to use and cost about 7 or 8 dollars a 100lb bag here.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: magiccuda] #1142315
12/23/11 10:55 PM
12/23/11 10:55 PM
Alaska
73rrak Offline
enthusiast
73rrak  Offline
enthusiast

Alaska
I used a similar compressor and the guys that said you will be waiting on it all the time are right. My 80 gallon 7 horse 2 stage put up a good fight but it just couldn't do the job. I ended up borrowing a friends trailer mounted compressor to finish up the job and I was just doing the 1/4 extensions and engine compartment. Your compressor will work but I hope you have more patience than I do.

Home depot sells a paint stripper Made by Kleen Strip that comes with a spray bottle. I've loaded it into a garden sprayer for big jobs and it works just fine and it's fast. I loaned a friend my paint booth to paint a car I thought he knew how to paint. He put 2 gallons of single stage paint on the car with a 2.0 tip in his gun. I had more paint in my booth than he had on his car. with the paint stripper and garden sprayer I had the walls ceiling and floor cleaned up in 1/2 a day.

This is just for information I don't want to get in an argument like I have in the past in paint and body related threads.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: magiccuda] #1142316
12/23/11 11:03 PM
12/23/11 11:03 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

looks like an industrial three horse,I have a Quincy three horse just like it and have sandblasted with it many times. Yes the you have is a big enough compressor to do the job, you will just have to wait on it. When the pressure gets low stop and let it fill up again. Better than paying some one else. Sand is fine to use and cost about 7 or 8 dollars a 100lb bag here.

I have a 5hp 120 gal tank and yes it can get it done
but its not big enough... when I have my car stripped
I take it to a stripped and pay the $250 and pick
it up in 2-5 days... they use a better product like
walnut shells or other media.... blasting is a MAJOR
mess... a stripper company uses 1" or larger hoses
that flow BIG volumes of air.... I have a large blast
cabinet and my compressor can handle it but thats
about it.... the paint on that car looks solid so
there isnt a reason to go to bare metal unless you
are concerned about the weight.... thats why I take
my car in to have it blasted.... I've painted it 5
times so far thats why I go to bare metal each time

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1142317
12/24/11 12:19 AM
12/24/11 12:19 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I used stripper on my hot rod. Did the whole thing that way. On another project (PU bed) I used a DA and cup wire wheel on a 7" angle grinder. When I did the PU, I got a bigger compressor, 5 true HP 2 stage. That would run the DA full time or close to it.

If/When I do another, I'll use the DA on the flat areas and stripper on the tight curvy spaces. A DA with 80 grit - with the orbit locked out - removes the paint very well.

I repaired, smoothed, primed and painted mine. The toughest part for me was the finish paint. I wasn't pleased with my job so I took it to a body shop and they blocked and re-shot the finish paint. Its nice now.

On the air for blasting... a 5 HP compressor will work fine for small parts, brackets ect. Not so good for a whole car.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: ahy] #1142318
12/24/11 12:28 AM
12/24/11 12:28 AM
ar.
B
bobs69 Offline
super stock
bobs69  Offline
super stock
B

ar.
Your compressor will work but it will take a long time. With my equipment we can do your car in 3 to 4 hours at a cost of around 600 dollars. I wish i was closer to you so i could help you out.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: bulletpruf] #1142319
12/24/11 12:29 AM
12/24/11 12:29 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
For inside like that, I'd try those 3M stripping pads. Might take a few pads but I bet you could strip the outside body in a afternoon. But it is gonna be dusty big time. You are gonna have to make dust anyway if you were to chemical strip because you still have to DA sand it and then your makin even worse dust because it'll have paint striper in it. In side like that I think your best bet is a stripping pad and a DA sander without chemical stripper. Good luck very cool car!
I once rebuilt a straight 6 engine in one of those for a girl in hi school back around 1978.

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: Challenger 1] #1142320
12/24/11 02:17 AM
12/24/11 02:17 AM
MINNESOTA
B
BRONZEBEE Offline
BRONZEBEE  Offline
B

MINNESOTA
Original paint looks good-scuff it and paint it! Race car right?I would like to spend countless hours to blast a race car,or spend money to

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: Challenger 1] #1142321
12/24/11 11:22 AM
12/24/11 11:22 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Time for a rotissierie...

Have been real close to buying or building one in the past few years. When I tackle the resto on my Big Bad Green 390/4 sp 69 AMX, I'll definitely need one.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: dennismopar73] #1142322
12/24/11 11:26 AM
12/24/11 11:26 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

that compressor will be fine, I use one all the time no issues,
looking at you car , nice car to start with , and shouldn't take long at all to do the work couple nights a week you will be ready for what ever small repairs that need to be addressed.
when it comes time for the 2 k primer take your time, do about 3 coates let that dry, accordingly and then block sand that with 220 or 320 , remember to not sand thru the primer
then spray again 3 coats, block that with 320 or 400 , if it is good you can then wash with soap water light wet sand , prep and put seal primer on look it over, paint it

Yes, it's a real nice car to start with - spent most of it's life in California, real low mile car. Real pleasure to work on something that's not all rusted out.

There's a local Moparts member that I need to get back in touch with; I don't mind tackling bodywork, but would be nice to have someone looking over my shoulder.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: magiccuda] #1142323
12/24/11 11:28 AM
12/24/11 11:28 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

It's an industrial 5 hp engine. Surprised that lots of folks say it's not enough, but I am patient.

Worried about using sand - silicosis and warping body panels - would prefer to use some other media.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Paint Removal for a Repaint - Caution - AMC Content! [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1142324
12/24/11 11:33 AM
12/24/11 11:33 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Quote:

I have a 5hp 120 gal tank and yes it can get it done
but its not big enough... when I have my car stripped
I take it to a stripped and pay the $250 and pick
it up in 2-5 days... they use a better product like
walnut shells or other media.... blasting is a MAJOR
mess... a stripper company uses 1" or larger hoses
that flow BIG volumes of air.... I have a large blast
cabinet and my compressor can handle it but thats
about it.... the paint on that car looks solid so
there isnt a reason to go to bare metal unless you
are concerned about the weight.... thats why I take
my car in to have it blasted.... I've painted it 5
times so far thats why I go to bare metal each time

That's a pretty good price for stripping a car, but maybe that's because you bring it there. I've heard prices of over $1k, but they come to your house to do it.

What was your point about the weight? Would it be enough added weight to make a difference? Hoping to get the car down to about 2,900# without me in it, so anything I can do to drop more weight is good.

Thanks

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3