Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: DoctorDiff] #1139524
12/25/11 10:38 AM
12/25/11 10:38 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Obviously, starting a car then immediately shutting it off will discharge the battery.

My point is, an unattended battery usually lasts longer in a car that gets driven 1 day a month, than a car that gets driven a few consecutive days every 8 months.

My truck sees not even an hour a month running time (closer to 1/2 hour considering how close the dump is), which I think we can all agree has to be pretty tough on a battery.

My Duster had a lead acid battery in it for at least three years and would sit all winter without a problem and it isn't a new battery.

1) Stating "lead acid batteries" are good for only 4 years under the same conditions is foolish since there is plenty of evidence this just isn't true.

2) Sealed batteries are very nice as you don't have to worry about acid spills or other related issues, but they just are not as reliable as wet cell batteries. This forum alone is littered with stories of people with junk $200-$300 restoration batteries.

I have a gel cell battery in the Duster now as I'm getting ready to paint the bay and slowly moving towards making the car more original looking as time progresses. Time will tell how long the battery will last...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: gdonovan] #1139525
12/25/11 12:18 PM
12/25/11 12:18 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

Quote:

Quote:

The guy basically said... those old style acid
batteries only last 48 months under those circumstances...

What a load of crap.

Yes....

Kinda sums up customer service these days...
I could have gone into a profanity laced diatribe with him.
but the bottom line is: He got his money...

I got a product that looked good, but performed poorly.
Like I said...in my experience, that's close to par for most
of the mopar reproduction vendors...

The products look good, fit/finish/quality/performance are sub par.
price is expensive to nearly outrageous
Are there exceptions...sure...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: OLD318] #1139526
12/25/11 04:38 PM
12/25/11 04:38 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Here is what I did with mine also what 2 other members did with theirs one already posted at the end.
Yes I cleaned up the 5 year old one and polished the post
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Battery/?albumview=slideshow

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: 340SIX] #1139527
12/25/11 05:05 PM
12/25/11 05:05 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
And that is what I will do with mine when it dies. Look at it this way--you only have to buy one--then you have a great looking case to use forever.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #1139528
12/26/11 03:43 PM
12/26/11 03:43 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
I am going with a style post inside like the polar one in the other members picture.
I did the washers and top post since it was stronger that way once the top is one no way to tell whats inside as seeen in my first picture

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: 340SIX] #1139529
12/26/11 04:37 PM
12/26/11 04:37 PM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline OP
top fuel
Dixie  Offline OP
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Thanks for the input guys. It seems I'm not the only one that has experienced poor customer service from Antique Auto Battery.

As I stated earlier, my reason for posting is to warn people who might be considering buying from them. I understand products sometimes fail prematurely. It's service after the sale that makes the difference in a good vendor and poor one.

From the postings above, it looks like I received incorrect advice from the vendor on how to maintain the battery. I specifically asked about a battery tender, and the vendor said I didn't need one. Regardless of how that may or may not have affected battery life, it failed prematurely.

Their customer service after the failure, has been very poor. Unacceptable, in my opinion. As of this posting, still no call back as they had promised. If you bought one of their battery's and are happy with it, great. The next time you buy one, if it doesn't serve you well, you might experience the same poor level of customer service as me. I hope you don't. Personally, I will never buy any of their products nor recommend any of their products.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: Dixie] #1139530
12/27/11 10:21 AM
12/27/11 10:21 AM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

As a vendor, are these repro batteries
(acid filled or gel-fille) something you could start offering?

Guess that depends on the supplier though
Just wondering....

Those over priced batteries are obviously a "Nice to have"
not an absolute "Need to have"

Thanks...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: OLD318] #1139531
12/27/11 11:28 AM
12/27/11 11:28 AM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline OP
top fuel
Dixie  Offline OP
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Quote:

Just wondering....

Thanks...

LOL, well we are certainly always looking for new "high quality" products. Don't know that we'd jump in the battery game though. Never really thought about it. Maybe it bears more investigation.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: OLD318] #1139532
12/27/11 11:35 AM
12/27/11 11:35 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Just wondering....

Thanks...

Would be a big investment involving more than money, then after your ready to market, your not the sole vendor,quality product or not, plus it's a product that can eat up any profit down the road, due to it having a "lifecycle" that you either guarrantee/warranty...lose/lose investment

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1139533
12/27/11 01:15 PM
12/27/11 01:15 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

After dealing with three failed reproduction batteries having the first one last eight months & get replaced under warranty but I got hit for shipping both ways , the second lasted about a year & they prorated it & I had to pay shipping both ways... The third battery failed & I did this....

But isn't the Odyssey battery just a good AGM battery too....what's the difference between the current Mopar reproduction AGM batteries?

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: Dixie] #1139534
12/27/11 01:19 PM
12/27/11 01:19 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering....

Thanks...

LOL, well we are certainly always looking for new "high quality" products. Don't know that we'd jump in the battery game though. Never really thought about it. Maybe it bears more investigation.

Why not make reproduction blank Mopar battery cases that you can put an Odyssey or similar size/type AGM battery inside like Randy did...make it already for hook up...then you don't have to warranty them or have the customer pay the heavy shipping costs....way better than a "battery topper" IMO, just a thought

MikeR

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: A12] #1139535
12/27/11 01:28 PM
12/27/11 01:28 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Quote:

After dealing with three failed reproduction batteries having the first one last eight months & get replaced under warranty but I got hit for shipping both ways , the second lasted about a year & they prorated it & I had to pay shipping both ways... The third battery failed & I did this....

But isn't the Odyssey battery just a good AGM battery too....what's the difference between the current Mopar reproduction AGM batteries?

Yes it is a good AGM battery... And having no experience with the new Reproduction batteries I personally can't say but I've heard of enough troubles from people that I'll stick with what I have... I know guys that have run the same Odyssey for over 15 years... My current one is a replacement, the last one lived about eight years, this one has been in use for five years... I buy them wholesale so my cost is less than half of what a reproduction battery is... I'll keep using them...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1139536
12/27/11 01:34 PM
12/27/11 01:34 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it is a good AGM battery... And having no experience with the new Reproduction batteries I personally can't say but I've heard of enough troubles from people that I'll stick with what I have... I know guys that have run the same Odyssey for over 15 years... My current one is a replacement, the last one lived about eight years, this one has been in use for five years... I buy them wholesale so my cost is less than half of what a reproduction battery is... I'll keep using them...

Randy I have all of the photos you did on the conversion, and I have a lead acid Mopar reproduction battery that spit battery acid all over the engine compartment and and underside of the hood when the voltage regulator went bad (do they ever go bad ) so I've already been to the Odyssey site sizing up one of their AGM batteries. I know from research they are one of the best if not THE best AGM batteries available . I'm just dreading the work and mess I've heard it takes to get the plates out of the lead/acid battery cases

MikeR

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc [Re: A12] #1139537
12/27/11 01:40 PM
12/27/11 01:40 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
I won't lie to ya, it is a nasty job.... A I think the fact my battery wasn't very old when it died & I cut it open helped as the rods attached to my plates were still in pretty good shape, most guys seem to wind up having to drill & tap the bottom side of the posts... It works good, just one more step....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3