Moparts

Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc

Posted By: Dixie

Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 12:16 AM

Back in July '07 I bought a maintenance free 850 CCA group 27 battery from Antique Auto Battery at Carlisle for $250. 4 years and 1500 miles later it failed. At the Mopar Nats this past August, it died and would only take a 50% charge. My car lives in a heated and air conditioned garage. With only 1500 miles on the car, it obviously gets very little road time. Basically, to local cruise-ins and back home in the summer. I feel this is a premature product failure of their maintenance free battery based on the discussions I had with them upon purchase.

I did not get around to contacting the vendor until recently. Initially, I emailed them about the issue. They called back and told my wife there was no warranty on the battery, and if I had any questions to call and ask for Jim.

I called Jim last week around Tuesday and spoke to him. I explained that I felt the battery had suffered a premature failure, based on such low use and indoor storage. He said he'd look into it and call me later that afternoon. As of this posting, I have not heard from him.

I am posting my experience here for anyone interested in buying a reproduction battery. I would not recommend one of their batteries based on my opinion of poor performance of their battery, and poor customer service from the company. Your experience may differ from mine.

For now, my old hot rod will run on a parts store battery.

Attached picture 6974902-chargeratcarlisle2011.jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 12:25 AM

After dealing with three failed reproduction batteries having the first one last eight months & get replaced under warranty but I got hit for shipping both ways , the second lasted about a year & they prorated it & I had to pay shipping both ways... The third battery failed & I did this....

Attached picture 6974910-batttery-3.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 12:56 AM

Do you use a "Battery Tender" or similar trickle charging system during the down time?

We use Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) batteries in all of the products we sell and they are all activated when they are manufactured so the "shelf life" is sometimes not as long as expected by owners if they are not maintained by a battery "tender" (trickle charger) of some sort. We even use a high dollar "racing" battery in some product that is nearly four times more expensive than a standard AGM battery and if it is not maintained it fails too. Just saying that most batteries are only warrantied for 4-5 years and almost always prorated. I would say if they don't at the least give you some kind of prorated exchange or adjustment that would be bad on their part but I wouldn't think they shouldn't have to give you a "no charge" (pun intended) battery or exchange battery without prorating it...

Even the best Diehard, Duralast, etc., will only last 5-years or less if you're lucky. Thanks for reminding me I need to hook up the Battery Tender on the GTX and the motorcycles

MikeR
Posted By: 474218

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 01:13 AM

Quote:

Do you use a "Battery Tender" or similar trickle charging system during the down time?...

...Even the best Diehard, Duralast, etc., will only last 5-years or less if you're lucky. Thanks for reminding me I need to hook up the Battery Tender on the GTX and the motorcycles
MikeR

I bought a 2001 Road Trac Class B motor home, built on a 2000 Dodge B3500 van.

March of this year I had to replace the original Morpar battery. The van has never been in a garage, never had a "Battery Tender" and twice was completly discharged because a fault with the door locks. The Dodge dealer only wanted $129.00 for a Mopar replacement battery so I hope lasts for another 10 years.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 01:27 AM

Quote:

Do you use a "Battery Tender" or similar trickle charging system during the down time?

I asked when I bought it, and they said it didn't need one. Upon calling I did not expect a free replacement, but a return phone call? Yeah, that's a minimum.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 01:27 AM

Quote:

After dealing with three failed reproduction batteries having the first one last eight months & get replaced under warranty but I got hit for shipping both ways , the second lasted about a year & they prorated it & I had to pay shipping both ways... The third battery failed & I did this....

Randy, I like it ! Great ingenuity !
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 01:28 AM

Sorry to hear of your poor customer service...It'll be interesting to hear how long it takes AAB for some kind of interaction with you...You're not alone thinking you deserve more from these batteries...I've had many problems with some of these repop batteries over the years..But on that note....I've got a red cap{sealed} turbostart going on 6-7 years....As mentioned, the company strongly suggested I use a battery tender during the down time so I've used one from the beginning with it...This must be the key to a long life....
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 01:31 AM

Somewhat off topic but back in Jan 1975 I bought the J.C Penney Lifetime Battery. Now of course a car battery doesn't last forever,but I've had it replaced at least 5 or 6 times usually with an Interstate battery.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I asked when I bought it, and they said it didn't need one. Upon calling I did not expect a free replacement, but a return phone call? Yeah, that's a minimum.

Just preparing you for what you need to say when and IF they do return your call. Take notes and have them ready ; battery tender "yep", climate controlled storage "yep", start car once a week "yep", go to church on Sunday....

Best of luck and they are going to need some too if they choose to be ana.................we're all waiting and watching and I do need a battery, where oh where should I buy one

MikeR
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 02:05 AM

Just went through same drill for 70RR 440-6. Ended up with Turbo-Start AGM (Summit). I keep it on a trickle charger which I'm very impressed with. Fairly new company, good product.

Charger
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 02:09 AM

When I bought my repop red top sealed battery, not from AAB though, I was told to use a battery tender to get the most life out of it. This was from the dealer I bought it from. It lasted at least 5 yrs and I only had 1000 miles on the car in that time.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 03:27 AM

It's too bad you're not getting the service you want. What other choice is there unless you want to hide a supercell? I've had a maintenance free yellow cap one in my RR for about 4 years now. It seems to me they do not recommend putting a trickle charge on it? I do it anyways every couple of months for about 8-12 hrs. I hardly start my car three or four times a year and it has 12.7 volts right now at the battery. My charging system was not even charging for a couple years so It was running off the battery every car show (I towed it). I took it to shows for a couple of years like that. It seems to be doing OK considering that it should be weak from lack of use. I've been using their batteries since late 80's or early 90's with no problem. This is the first maintenance free one but if it died tomorrow, I can't complain under the circumstances. I would buy another one.
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 12:02 PM

Quote:

Just went through same drill for 70RR 440-6. Ended up with Turbo-Start AGM (Summit). I keep it on a trickle charger which I'm very impressed with. Fairly new company, good product.

Charger

Thats the only battery I sell.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 06:24 PM

Quote:

I've got a red cap{sealed} turbostart going on 6-7 years....As mentioned, the company strongly suggested I use a battery tender during the down time so I've used one from the beginning with it...This must be the key to a long life....

Same here, AGM redtop group 27, going on 8 years, I DON"T use any battery tender, or chargers, I disconnect during winter storage, car sits for 4+ months, starts every time with no assist/boost/charge....never had any issues

Mike

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 06:34 PM

Since no one included a link...

http://shop.turbostart.com/Mopar-S27MRL-Red-Cap-Late-1969-1973-AGM-Battery-B-S27MRL.htm
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 07:14 PM

I disconnect everytime I park and Im going on 10 years with this battery, Like Mike I never "hook- up" to any tenders.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 07:48 PM

Quote:

Since no one included a link...

http://shop.turbostart.com/Mopar-S27MRL-Red-Cap-Late-1969-1973-AGM-Battery-B-S27MRL.htm

Valve Regulated, Sealed Maintenance Free design
- AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) technology
- Shipped fully charged (no acid filling required)
- 4 year pro-rated warranty
- Genuine hard rubber case; exact detailing
- MOPAR PERFORMANCE officially licensed
- BCI Group 27 for Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth 1969 thru 1974

Because they are activated at the time of final assembly, a key or tip if you are standing there looking at more than one...take the one with the higher I.D., "Date of Manufacture" or serial number

MikeR
Posted By: BradH

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I asked when I bought it, and they said it didn't need one...

Well, they're wrong and/or ignorant of their own product.

Any battery that's expected to hold a reasonable charge with infrequent usage needs to be charged w/ a trickle charger. I'm surprised you got 4 years out of it that way.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/20/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've got a red cap{sealed} turbostart going on 6-7 years....As mentioned, the company strongly suggested I use a battery tender during the down time so I've used one from the beginning with it...This must be the key to a long life....

Same here, AGM redtop group 27, going on 8 years, I DON"T use any battery tender, or chargers, I disconnect during winter storage, car sits for 4+ months, starts every time with no assist/boost/charge....never had any issues

Mike

Two batteries in my Superbird in 19yrs,both from the original New Castle Battery Co,group 27,first was wet cell lasted almost nine years,second one sealed,still in car.Never used a battery tender,usually start once or twice through the winter months,never had a problem.
Posted By: MattMPA

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/21/11 01:40 PM

Many years ago I had a battery in my then Superbird from Antique Auto Battery that seemed to "give up". At the time, a friend's father ran a battery company and looked at the battery. At least one of the cells (this is long ago so I'm working from memory) had gone bad and the battery needed to be replaced. I contacted the company who suggested I bring it to Spring Carlisle for them to see it.

I carried that stinking battery all over Carlisle until I found them, and they said that there was no warranty (it was a couple years old) but they could put a chemical into the battery to "bring it back". Since my friend had told me it needed replacement, not some magic cure...I asked what else could be done. They repeated that this chemical was the fix and other than that there was nothing they could do.

I got a Carlisle directory and found the New Castle Battery company. I bought a new battery from them and have never gone back to the Antique Auto Battery company.

Since then, New Castle has been bought by another firm, but their TurboStart batteris are still tops in my book. They've been around for well over 10 years that I know of. My '72 has one of their AGM batteries.

I do use battery maintainers on all my cars that are parked for long periods. I've even made up cigarette light adapters for the Vipers so that I don;t have to open the hood to hook them up.

Battery Tenders are expensive, but I've found a maintainer at Wal-Mart by Shumacher that's about $20 and works very well.

I know some folks have very good service from batteries without a maintainer...but I beleive in their use, expecially in newer cars with parasitic draw from electronics.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/21/11 03:53 PM

I wonder if it can be repaired/rebuilt? That might help salvage money spent.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/21/11 04:50 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it can be repaired/rebuilt? That might help salvage money spent.

This would be better money spent if there is any chance of saving your battery:

http://www.optimate3.com/classic/

As simple as 1-2-3 : Just connect the OptiMate to your battery and the 6 stage program does the rest automatically and safely
Diagnoses & desulfates batteries safely
Suitable for all types of 12V lead-acid batteries
Maintains your battery automatically for months
Checks for & indicates unusual self-discharge trends
Recommended by major power sports vehicle OEMs
Full electronic & passive protection
OptiMate's unique algorithm (graph) specifically designed for power sport starter batteries
International certification : UL & CSA (USA & Canada), PSE (Japan), TüV/GS & CE (Europe), SAA (Australia)
2-year warranty and personal after sales service

MikeR
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 06:42 AM

I really liked the idea of gutting the (Now dead anyway...) repo battery and hiding a smaller, lighter, modern battery inside. You'd still look correct and that expensive case would be good forever.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 01:37 PM

A stock looking battery cover sounds like a potential new product.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 02:47 PM

Quote:

They already have them for years now if you mean a "battery topper".........
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 04:19 PM

which dont fit well and dont look stock.
Posted By: az426john

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 04:31 PM

And the Red Tops only come in size 24 which is not correct.

It might be OK in some applications where only the top of the battery can be seen like some Corvettes but Mopars are generally easily seen.
Posted By: smac77

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 05:25 PM

Seems the original batteries that come with oem cars always outlast anything out there...My 2000 ford diesel van has two batteies, I just changed the original motorcrafts last year... The new batteries are already having trouble turning the engine on cold days... they're loosing cranking amps and decaying at a much quicker rate.

You can bet the dealers don't want batteries giving up under the warrantee of a new car... I'm positive original oem batteries are "different" than anything you can buy over a parts counter.

For the record, the reproduction antique batteries never seem to last more than a few years no matter how much use they get...or how well they are maintained.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 10:21 PM

Quote:

, stock and correct looking... another job for Dave Walden or Mike Ross...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

, stock and correct looking... another job for Dave Walden or Mike Ross...

Along with a battery hold down that is a little wider that looks OE and fits.....the covers are wider to fit over a group 24 battery so the stock hold down doesn't fit without modifications. And they need to be made for a correct Group 27 size battery not the Group 24
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 10:47 PM

if a correct battery appearance is only important when you are showing the car, drain the acid out of the dead one, rinse it thoughly with distilled water and only put it in at shows. PITA i know but a battery will only last so long before it's eaten itself alive. then it will attack the case and unnoticed you will have a bigger problem on your hands - don't ask how i know! and thanks again for the GREAT customer service! i recommend you every chance i get!
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/22/11 11:15 PM

Quote:

Two batteries in my Superbird in 19yrs,both from the original New Castle Battery Co,group 27,first was wet cell lasted almost nine years...

Same here...I've had exceptional service from mine,though I think it's getting weaker now. But I sure can't complain about the service from this battery.
Posted By: RareTA

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/23/11 05:31 AM

Quote:

This is what I did with mine also.
Posted By: OLD318

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/23/11 03:38 PM

I hear you...my story is exactly the same...
I bought it...4 years to the day it was dead and
I only had about 2K on my car (70 Coronet 2 door hard top)

Along the way, I had to constantly re-charge it
(from the car sitting to long and not driving it)...

The guy basically said... those old style acid
batteries only last 48 months under those circumstances...
True, I could have used one of those trickle charge devices etc...

It seems like for the money it should have lasted alot longer...
I loved the appearance but I got sick and tired of the poor performance.

Now I'm running an interstate... (it cost 1/3 of the AAB)
I hate the look...but I'm not forking over that much coin
for another one...

Seems like an awful lot of "reproduction" stuff in this hobby
works out like this:
It looks nice, promises a lot... delivers very little,
and costs a fortune...

Oh well... guess we signed up for it
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/24/11 12:28 PM

Quote:

What a load of crap.

My '98 truck has the original Mopar battery in it with 149,000 miles (an exception to the rule to be sure) and gets driven once a month for dump runs. It might see less miles per year than your car!

I used to have a beater Spirit R/T that had an Interstate battery that was in *four cars* over a 12 year span of time before the CCA started dropping off.

My neon still has the OEM Mopar battery in it and it's an 2001 model with well over 100,000 miles.

All were parked outside in New England, year round.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/24/11 04:38 PM

Batteries seem to last longer when the vehicle is started periodically. I had problems when my cars sat 6-8 months, regardless of brand.
Posted By: Steve340

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/24/11 06:13 PM

Batteries are one of those items that last longer the more they are used. They liked to be charged and cycled every day. The longer they sit, the shorter their life will be. That is why cars that aren't used everyday end up going through batteries faster. A car battery lasting 100,000 miles on the battery is more common than a car battery lasting 2,000 miles on the same battery. This has always been a problem on collector cars. A battery tended charger is a must. Just starting your car and letting it run once a month won't help. It takes many miles after you start your car to replenish the charge lost from starting the car, and even more miles to get the battery fully charged (like driving it all day). You'll spend more money on gas than you would for the price of a battery tender.
I volunteer at a very large car museum and all the batteries on the running cars are always rotated and charged on a regular basis. Batteries are being charged every day and when you get them all charged, you start over with the first one. We have several chargers going non-stop 24-7. It is a never ending process.
Lead acid batteries thrive from being cycled and they thrive from being topped off.

Same goes for batteries in everything else you use, like cordless tools. I have tools I use and charge every other day and those batteries last longer than the tools I use once every couple months.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/24/11 07:09 PM

While I agree batteries do typically last longer when used every day the first two batteries I had fail in my Challenger when the car was a fresh resto I was driving the car practically every day.. I lost them both in the first eighteen months.. I put about 25K miles on the car in that time.. It wasn't a garage queen... Those batteries were junk... The new sealed batteries probably are allot better but I will never know cause my Odyssey keeps on cranking it out...
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/24/11 07:31 PM

That's why if mine lasts 4-5 years, I don't complain. I put less than 100 miles on my car since I put the maintenance free AAB yellow cap, group 24 in my car in 2007. It is my first non-lead acid battery and only my third repro battery (all from AAB) since 1989). I do not keep a battery tender on it but do periodically put the tender on it when my battery gets below about a 12.6 volts. I will put the tender on for a day or so and then forget about it the battery a couple of months. I warmed up the A12 and drove the car around the block on 12/3. Previously took it to a car show in mid September. The last time I started it before that was mid-June (trailered it to the Mopar Action show at Maple Grove). I just put the tender on it and it is holding 13.1 volts after only 10 minutes. I will definitely buy another Antique Auto battery when this one quits working.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/24/11 11:36 PM

Obviously, starting a car then immediately shutting it off will discharge the battery.

My point is, an unattended battery usually lasts longer in a car that gets driven 1 day a month, than a car that gets driven a few consecutive days every 8 months.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/25/11 02:38 PM

Quote:

Obviously, starting a car then immediately shutting it off will discharge the battery.

My point is, an unattended battery usually lasts longer in a car that gets driven 1 day a month, than a car that gets driven a few consecutive days every 8 months.

My truck sees not even an hour a month running time (closer to 1/2 hour considering how close the dump is), which I think we can all agree has to be pretty tough on a battery.

My Duster had a lead acid battery in it for at least three years and would sit all winter without a problem and it isn't a new battery.

1) Stating "lead acid batteries" are good for only 4 years under the same conditions is foolish since there is plenty of evidence this just isn't true.

2) Sealed batteries are very nice as you don't have to worry about acid spills or other related issues, but they just are not as reliable as wet cell batteries. This forum alone is littered with stories of people with junk $200-$300 restoration batteries.

I have a gel cell battery in the Duster now as I'm getting ready to paint the bay and slowly moving towards making the car more original looking as time progresses. Time will tell how long the battery will last...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/25/11 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What a load of crap.

Yes....

Kinda sums up customer service these days...
I could have gone into a profanity laced diatribe with him.
but the bottom line is: He got his money...

I got a product that looked good, but performed poorly.
Like I said...in my experience, that's close to par for most
of the mopar reproduction vendors...

The products look good, fit/finish/quality/performance are sub par.
price is expensive to nearly outrageous
Are there exceptions...sure...
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/25/11 08:38 PM

Here is what I did with mine also what 2 other members did with theirs one already posted at the end.
Yes I cleaned up the 5 year old one and polished the post
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Battery/?albumview=slideshow
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/25/11 09:05 PM

And that is what I will do with mine when it dies. Look at it this way--you only have to buy one--then you have a great looking case to use forever.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/26/11 07:43 PM

I am going with a style post inside like the polar one in the other members picture.
I did the washers and top post since it was stronger that way once the top is one no way to tell whats inside as seeen in my first picture

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/26/11 08:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys. It seems I'm not the only one that has experienced poor customer service from Antique Auto Battery.

As I stated earlier, my reason for posting is to warn people who might be considering buying from them. I understand products sometimes fail prematurely. It's service after the sale that makes the difference in a good vendor and poor one.

From the postings above, it looks like I received incorrect advice from the vendor on how to maintain the battery. I specifically asked about a battery tender, and the vendor said I didn't need one. Regardless of how that may or may not have affected battery life, it failed prematurely.

Their customer service after the failure, has been very poor. Unacceptable, in my opinion. As of this posting, still no call back as they had promised. If you bought one of their battery's and are happy with it, great. The next time you buy one, if it doesn't serve you well, you might experience the same poor level of customer service as me. I hope you don't. Personally, I will never buy any of their products nor recommend any of their products.

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 02:21 PM

As a vendor, are these repro batteries
(acid filled or gel-fille) something you could start offering?

Guess that depends on the supplier though
Just wondering....

Those over priced batteries are obviously a "Nice to have"
not an absolute "Need to have"

Thanks...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 03:28 PM

Quote:

Just wondering....

Thanks...

LOL, well we are certainly always looking for new "high quality" products. Don't know that we'd jump in the battery game though. Never really thought about it. Maybe it bears more investigation.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 03:35 PM

Quote:

Just wondering....

Thanks...

Would be a big investment involving more than money, then after your ready to market, your not the sole vendor,quality product or not, plus it's a product that can eat up any profit down the road, due to it having a "lifecycle" that you either guarrantee/warranty...lose/lose investment

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 05:15 PM

Quote:

But isn't the Odyssey battery just a good AGM battery too....what's the difference between the current Mopar reproduction AGM batteries?

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering....

Thanks...

LOL, well we are certainly always looking for new "high quality" products. Don't know that we'd jump in the battery game though. Never really thought about it. Maybe it bears more investigation.

Why not make reproduction blank Mopar battery cases that you can put an Odyssey or similar size/type AGM battery inside like Randy did...make it already for hook up...then you don't have to warranty them or have the customer pay the heavy shipping costs....way better than a "battery topper" IMO, just a thought

MikeR

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But isn't the Odyssey battery just a good AGM battery too....what's the difference between the current Mopar reproduction AGM batteries?

Yes it is a good AGM battery... And having no experience with the new Reproduction batteries I personally can't say but I've heard of enough troubles from people that I'll stick with what I have... I know guys that have run the same Odyssey for over 15 years... My current one is a replacement, the last one lived about eight years, this one has been in use for five years... I buy them wholesale so my cost is less than half of what a reproduction battery is... I'll keep using them...

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it is a good AGM battery... And having no experience with the new Reproduction batteries I personally can't say but I've heard of enough troubles from people that I'll stick with what I have... I know guys that have run the same Odyssey for over 15 years... My current one is a replacement, the last one lived about eight years, this one has been in use for five years... I buy them wholesale so my cost is less than half of what a reproduction battery is... I'll keep using them...

Randy I have all of the photos you did on the conversion, and I have a lead acid Mopar reproduction battery that spit battery acid all over the engine compartment and and underside of the hood when the voltage regulator went bad (do they ever go bad ) so I've already been to the Odyssey site sizing up one of their AGM batteries. I know from research they are one of the best if not THE best AGM batteries available . I'm just dreading the work and mess I've heard it takes to get the plates out of the lead/acid battery cases

MikeR

Re: Poor quality reproduction battery and poor customer svc - 12/27/11 05:40 PM

I won't lie to ya, it is a nasty job.... A I think the fact my battery wasn't very old when it died & I cut it open helped as the rods attached to my plates were still in pretty good shape, most guys seem to wind up having to drill & tap the bottom side of the posts... It works good, just one more step....
© 2024 Moparts Forums