08/31/08 04:19 PM
08/31/08 04:19 PM
Alabama
S
swapdaddyxx1 Offline OP
swapdaddyxx1  Offline OP
S

Alabama
I am strongly considering converting my 84 Rampage to run on either propane or natural gas.Propane might be the better choice, because of availability,but natural gas would probably be cheaper. My home is heated with natural gas,along with my shp building,hot water heater and clothes dryer. However, as I understand it, the equipment to fuel up from home is pricey (around $4,000)which is not feasable.
I know the technology is there ,and has been for a long time. I recall seeing propane or butane fueled fleet vehicles when I was a teenager in the early fifties.
I have looked on the internet and found some suppliers for kits, although nothing yet for my specific application,which would be a 2.2 4 cyl with a carb.
Do any of you have any experience or input on this? My family car is an 06 300C, and I have increased the highway milage to a much as 22 mpg by going to mobil 1 oil and a K&N filter element in the air cleaner. Hoping to improve on that, as the car may not be well broken in (10k miles). Also may go to the full K&N assembly later.
The Rampage is the best candidate for conversion I have, since its the most simple, with a carb, and the engine is in good shape. It also has good a/c and is fun to drive with a 5 speed, so except for lack of plushness not giving up much, plus has hauling ability. I would like to improve the mileage on my old faithful 318 Ram, but would get more complicated I guess,since it has TBI.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: swapdaddyxx1] #113044
08/31/08 05:21 PM
08/31/08 05:21 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Propane can be done. You're not going to find a vehicle specific kit. The biggest thing to have is the mixer unit, I forget what the technical name for it is, but it's the actual unit that mixes the propane with air. That will need to be sized to the engines displacement. For years someone here was trying to unload an ex-police administration K-car with a propane conversion. I never did look at it, but obviously the parts are out there, probably on ebay.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #113045
08/31/08 05:32 PM
08/31/08 05:32 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
I've done some research on this topic. Finding a place to mount the propane tank and finding a tank which fits that space can be a challenge on some vehicles. In you situation, it could be mounted in the bed, but it would probably take up a considerable portion of the bed.

Incidently, I've always liked the Rampages! Have never owned one, but the gas mileage is appealing today!

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: QuickDodge] #113046
08/31/08 08:49 PM
08/31/08 08:49 PM
Alabama
S
swapdaddyxx1 Offline OP
swapdaddyxx1  Offline OP
S

Alabama
Thanks for the input guys. If anyone else has info,or knows of any parts available, please let me know.
In regards to the K car,I saw somewhere where all the big three in the 80s and 90s had some cars available,but they apparently were not advertised much, and didn't go over that well.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: swapdaddyxx1] #113047
09/01/08 08:39 AM
09/01/08 08:39 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
From 1992 to (about) 1999
Chrysler sold a factory version of the
CNG Magnum 5.2 V8
that was primarily installed in 15 passenger vans
and mostly sold to government motor pools.

I recently bought the official 'CNG supplement' to the 1992 Ram Van FSM off eBay for $12 and read it, because I was interested like you are.

The changes look pretty straight forward, and I was somewhat surprised to see that the special gas fuel injectors still fit the bosses in the standard intake manifold. PCM computer is different, and there is additional wiring for several pressure devices.

One tip that you hear from people who have worked on the CNG 5.2 is that it is prone to backfire through the intake manifold, and blow the gasket in the infamous 'Plenum Plate' underneath. It may be that converting to the MPI intake from Mopar Performance would be a worthwhile experiment.

While there are a variety of Propane conversion kits out there I think if you do the math there is not enough fuel saving to justify it in the present situation, as Propane prices have risen, and predictions are they will rise even further.

On the other hand,
there have been so many new finds for natural gas in 'Shale' Rock formations (Barnett, Marcellus, Haynesville) that natural gas 'Futures' prices have been falling from 12 $/mBTU sixty days ago to $8 today.

Since gasoline has about 0.114 million BTU per gallon, as a rough approximation you can divide your local natural gas price by ten to get an equivalent gasoline price per gallon.

For example, $9 per million for natural gas
is about 90 cents per gallon of gasoline equivalent

Is there a 'public' CNG refill station near you?

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html

if there is a University CNG station nearby
(for their bus lines)
consider whether you might register as a part time student in order to be able to refill there.

See this article from the NYT:
=====
August 30, 2008
Surge in Natural Gas Has Utah Driving Cheaply
By CLIFFORD KRAUSS, NYT

SALT LAKE CITY — The best deal on fuel in the country right now might be here in Utah, where people are waiting in lines to pay the equivalent of 87 cents a gallon. Demand is so strong at rush hour that fuel runs low, and some days people can pump only half a tank.

It is not gasoline they are buying for their cars, but natural gas.

By an odd confluence of public policy and private initiative, Utah has become the first state in the country to experience broad consumer interest in the idea of running cars on clean natural gas.

Residents of the state are hunting the Internet and traveling the country to pick up used natural gas cars at auctions. They are spending thousands of dollars to transform their trucks and sport utility vehicles to run on compressed gas. Some fueling stations that sell it to the public are so busy they frequently run low on pressure, forcing drivers to return before dawn when demand is down.

It all began when unleaded gasoline rose above $3.25 a gallon last year, and has spiraled into a frenzy in the last few months.

Ron Brown, Honda’s salesman here for the Civic GX, the only car powered by natural gas made by a major automaker in the country, has sold one out of every four of the 800 cars Honda has made so far this year, and he has a pile of 330 deposit slips in his office, each designating a customer waiting months for a new car.

“It’s nuts,” Mr. Brown said. “People are buying these cars from me and turning around and selling them as if they were flipping real estate.”

Advocates for these cars see Mr. Brown’s brisk sales as a sign that natural gas could become the transport fuel of the future, replacing much of the oil the nation imports. While that remains a distant dream, big increases recently in the country’s production of natural gas do raise the possibility of making wider use of the fuel.

To a degree, it is already starting to happen in Utah, where the cost savings have gotten the public’s attention. Natural gas is especially cheap here, so that people spend about 87 cents for a quantity of gas sufficient to propel a car approximately the same distance as a $3.95 gallon of gasoline.

The word about natural gas cars has been spreading in news reports and by word of mouth, and so many people in Utah are now trying to get their hands on used natural gas vehicles that they are drying up the national supply. Used car lots are stocking up, and beginning to look like county government parking lots with multiple lines of identical white Civic GXs once used in out-of-state fleets.

Gov. Jon M. Huntsman Jr. got into the act last year, spending $12,000 out of his own pocket to convert his state sport utility vehicle to run on natural gas. “We can create a model that others can look to,” Mr. Huntsman said in an interview. “Every state in America can make this a reality.”

In fact, some unique factors apply in Utah. Natural gas prices at the pump here are controlled and are the cheapest in the country, while the price of conventional gasoline is one of the highest. Questar Gas, the public utility, has compressed-gas pumps around the state open to the public, a fueling infrastructure that few states can match.

Special factors or not, the sudden popularity of natural gas vehicles here demonstrates their potential, according to advocates like T. Boone Pickens, the Texas oil billionaire who is financing a national campaign promoting wind power and natural gas to replace imported oil. “Utah shows that the technology is here and the fuel works and the fuel is better than foreign oil,” Mr. Pickens said.

Natural gas cars produce at least 20 percent less greenhouse gas per mile than regular cars, according to a California study.

No official figures are available on how many natural gas vehicles Utah has, in part because so many people go to garages that install conversion kits that are not certified by the Environmental Protection Agency and are therefore illegal.

(Governor Huntsman has expressed concern, and some in the installation business have requested that the E.P.A. close down the unauthorized operations; the agency says it does not comment on possible investigations.)

But Questar estimates the number at 6,000 and growing by several hundred a month. That is small compared with the 2.7 million vehicles registered in the state, but natural gas executives and state government officials say it makes Utah the fastest-growing market in the country for such cars.

Cars fueled by compressed natural gas have been available intermittently in the United States for decades, and have found wide use in fleets, but have never attracted much consumer interest. The situation is markedly different abroad. Of the eight million natural gas vehicles operating worldwide, only about 116,000 were in the United States, mostly as fleet vans, buses and cars, according to a 2006 Energy Department estimate.

Congress mandated the use of fleets capable of using alternative fuel cars for governments and some energy companies in the early 1990s, but public interest petered out as gasoline prices plummeted. Over the years, all the major car companies except Honda dropped their production in the United States.

The cars have two major disadvantages — a shortage of fueling stations and limited range. (A typical natural gas car goes half as far on a full tank as a gasoline car.) Utah is one of the few states where a driver can travel across the state without being out of range of a station.

The situation is a Catch-22: Carmakers do not want to make natural gas cars when few filling stations are set up for them, and few stations want to install expensive equipment to compress gas with so few cars on the road.

Hundreds of stations supply compressed gas in a few states like California, New York and Arizona, but most are either closed to the public or charge only modestly less than regular gasoline prices.

Retail natural gas prices in some states are triple the price in Utah. The only state that comes close to Utah’s low gas prices is Oklahoma, and a surge of natural gas car buying is going on there, too.

The natural gas industry and some politicians are pushing to open up the market to gas-powered vehicles across the country. Even in states without fueling stations, a few drivers have switched by spending several thousand dollars to install a home gas compressor.

A proposal on the ballot in California this fall would allow the state to sell $5 billion in bonds to finance rebates of $2,000 and more to buyers of natural gas vehicles. Legislation has been introduced in Congress to offer more tax credits to producers and consumers and mandate the installation of gas pumps in certain service stations, with the goal of making natural gas cars 10 percent of the nation’s vehicle fleet over the next decade.

“If the incentives are right and the fuel and cars are available, natural gas can work,” said Gordon Larsen, supervisor for natural gas vehicle operations at Questar Gas. But he said that any drop in gasoline prices douses enthusiasm among drivers considering the switch.

With gasoline hovering just below $4 a gallon for unleaded regular here, interest in the Salt Lake City area is strong.

Questar reports that the volume of natural gas pumped at its 21 filling stations is up 240 percent this year from last, after a 50 percent rise in 2007. Demand has grown so fast that the compressors at many of Questar’s stations run low during the day, forcing drivers to settle for half a tank or fill up during off-peak hours.

The natural gas car surge in Utah is because of several factors. Questar has had filling pumps around the state to fuel its own fleet of service vehicles since the 1980s, and because it had excess capacity, it opened those stations to the public. Natural gas prices are cheap because under Utah regulations, the utility is obliged to offer about half of the gas that it sells to its retail customers at the cost of production.

The state and a few municipalities are preparing to open more filling stations. If the trend continues, it could eventually lower the environmental impact of driving in Utah.

For now, demand for compressed-gas cars is outstripping supply.

“People get into a frenzy and they just have to buy,” said Rick Oliver, owner of a company that converts vehicles. He said that in a recent online auction, a Utah buyer paid $19,000 for a 2001 Civic GX with 50,000 miles — the price a buyer of a new GX would pay after state and federal tax credits.

Gary Frederickson, a 48-year-old computer technician, has bought six natural gas vehicles on Craigslist over the last year, flying as far as Portland and Oakland to pick up the cars. One 1998 Ford Contour he bought for $3,000 in effect cost him nothing because he will receive a $3,000 state tax credit for buying an alternative fuel car.

“It’s crazy to be in Utah and have access to 85-cent-a-gallon fuel and not take advantage of it,” he said before a recent 2-cent increase.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: swapdaddyxx1] #113048
09/01/08 09:09 AM
09/01/08 09:09 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
one other source to investigate would be fork lift trucks. clark mfg. uses a 4cyl 2.6 mitzu engine in several of their trucks. this is the exact engine used in chrysler vehicles with the exception of the "mixer" used for propane instead of gasoline. also, i believe cng uses a similar mixer, but i'm sure there are differences in the fuel systems used for propane and cng. as this engine [ the 2.6] is similar in size to the 2.2, the fork lift fuel system should be adaptable without too much effort [?]. the thing that possibly would need correcting would be the difference in displacement between the two engines - 2.2 [135ci.] 2.6 [156ci.]. just some food for thought.......

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: moparx] #113049
09/01/08 10:06 AM
09/01/08 10:06 AM
Tampa, FL
S
Saint Crispan Offline
Saint Crispan  Offline
S

Tampa, FL
Is that the final word?

What about kits for bigger engines?

What about doing a dual-fuel conversion? Run LP sometimes, run gas the rest of the time (or vice versa)?

As far as the main issue (limited range), my trunk is HUGE...I mean, my trunk is huge compared to the trunks these days. I'm pretty sure I could fit TWO LP tanks back there (too bad it's not legal...not allowed to fit tanks in "enclosed" places like trunks).

And while CNG is hard to find around here, I can fuel up on LP at almost any UHAUL.

Anybody know if they are making LP/gas systems?

And another thing...I know they make a couple of Dippys with LP/CNG...but where did they put the tanks? According to what I've read, on a standard car, you can't put the Propane tank into an enclosed space (like the trunk).

Seems to me that if you were looking to run gasoline/LP on your car, you'd have to put a fuel cell in the trunk (for gasoline) and the LP tanks under the car?!?

Last edited by Saint Crispan; 09/01/08 10:22 AM.
Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: Saint Crispan] #113050
09/01/08 11:40 AM
09/01/08 11:40 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
LPG conversions are VERY common in Australia, for all types of cars, from old 4cyls, to big blocks, to current model injected cars..so getting the car to run on it would not be out of the way (same for going dual fuel as mentioned)

But keep in mind that LP will not give you better milage...actually somewhat less (and somewhat less power on cars that can not optumize for it).
The advantage to LP in Oz at least is it is quite abit cheaper then gasoline. So you might compare prices where you are before you get into converting it.
LPG also needs to have hardened exhaust seats, but your's being made to run on unleaded would be fine.
It does keep the engine quite clean inside as well actually

LPG is higher octane too, so if you built the vehicle to be LP only and not dual fuel you could bump the compression up abit..

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: OzHemi] #113051
09/01/08 02:42 PM
09/01/08 02:42 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Words of wisdom from ozhemi.

Also good tip on the propane parts from a forklift or something. May work,a s they are commonly propane.

As for the swap, I have owned several propane vehicles, and found they were NO cheaper to run than gasoline ones. At least not enough to compensate for the hassel.

The consumption is higher. Generally 1/3 more than what you use with gas.

Keep that in mind when doing the conversion math.
I would think with a small 4 cylinder car it would take a lot of driving to pay off the conversion costs

Compressed natural gas is not a good pick for a small motor/vehicl. It makes even less power than propane, and requires extremely heavy tanks (they are really thick wall because of the extreme pressures) SO the vehicle is weighed down, and has less power than before.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: OzHemi] #113052
09/01/08 02:46 PM
09/01/08 02:46 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I think there's less BTU's of energy in a comparable amount of LPG than gasoline? And like that article said, lots of places the cost of LPG is rising and not many places have CNG refill stations open to the public.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: dave571] #113053
09/01/08 02:50 PM
09/01/08 02:50 PM
las vegas
70AARcuda Offline
master
70AARcuda  Offline
master

las vegas
my work truck was a dual fuel use..propane and gasoline...propane would got about 300 miles on 30 gallon tank, gasoline would go over 400 miles on 26 gallon tank.

truck was a 2005 ford f150 that came from the factory as a dual fuel...

we had a couple of cng trucks..they were lucky to get 100 miles on a tank of natural gas...

Tony

70 AARCuda Vitamin C
71 Dart Swinger 360 10.318 @ 128.22(10-04-14 Bakersfield)
71 Demon 360 10.666 @122.41 (01-29-17 @ Las Vegas)
71 Duster 408 (10.29 @ 127.86 3/16/19 Las Vegas)
Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #113054
09/01/08 03:53 PM
09/01/08 03:53 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
And from the Dont-ask-me-how-I-know file.....

Propane powered vehicles and running low on engine coolant make for walking to the closest source of water

(Not enough warm water running through the system = freezing up and no LP flow = everyone wondering why you stopped driving in the middle of a swap meet aisle in a new truck = walking back to your swap meet site and bringing back a gallon and a half of water for the radiator while the system thawed out )

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: swapdaddyxx1] #113055
09/01/08 04:00 PM
09/01/08 04:00 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
LNG is just around the corner (figuratively speaking) The Port of L.A. uses it, We're about to start building LNG Kenworth big rigs (prototypes already built). You don't have space problem of CNG (liquid is 10 times the energy of compressed in a given space) but the vehicles will be expensive. Fuel Tanks and cryogenic fuel pumps. The infrastructure for refueling will be built, at least in the major metropolitan areas.
Extremely clean, extremely green. Likely just government agencies purchasing the rigs for awhile--our tax dollars at work.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #113056
09/01/08 04:07 PM
09/01/08 04:07 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

The Port of L.A. uses it

I'm sure I've helped paid for that, wanting to or not..

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: OzHemi] #113057
09/01/08 10:21 PM
09/01/08 10:21 PM
Alabama
S
swapdaddyxx1 Offline OP
swapdaddyxx1  Offline OP
S

Alabama
Not sounding like a great idea after all. Guess I'll just look at optimizing the mileage on gas.Maybe Mobil 1 will help it too. Thanks for all the input.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: 70AARcuda] #113058
09/01/08 11:11 PM
09/01/08 11:11 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

my work truck was a dual fuel use..propane and gasoline...propane would got about 300 miles on 30 gallon tank, gasoline would go over 400 miles on 26 gallon tank.

truck was a 2005 ford f150 that came from the factory as a dual fuel...

we had a couple of cng trucks..they were lucky to get 100 miles on a tank of natural gas...

So MUCH for that Pickens PLAN !!

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #113059
09/01/08 11:18 PM
09/01/08 11:18 PM
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Quote:

I think there's less BTU's of energy in a comparable amount of LPG than gasoline?

Absolutely true.

This is an area of cunfusion with propane.
Some think it will make more power, because it is higher octane than gasoline.

It is higher octane, but Problem is that octane doesn't make power, btu output (heat output) does.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion [Re: dave571] #113060
09/01/08 11:57 PM
09/01/08 11:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I stayed out of this, but I agree with the naysayers, for reasons already posted, but wait, there's more.

On top of the considerable expense of either converting to a dedicated system, or maintaining a dual system, there IS NO guarantee that prices will remain proportional. This certainly has been a crazy market, and as all of us can attest, oil, gas, nat gas, just about everything has REALLY gone up---but in the next very few years, and I'm guessing 0-5, LPG, LNG and NG may well skyrocket some more, as more and more industries try to make the claim to "being green."

What we REALLY need to do, is figure out REAL alternatives--cutting back, using less, and things like solar/ wind. Just switching to another carbon based fuel isn't gonna do it--for long, anyhow.

Re: Propane or natural gas fuel conversion #113061
09/02/08 11:07 AM
09/02/08 11:07 AM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Gloom and doom...they were saying the same thing about running out of oil in 1919.
I love the idea of wind, but less than a year ago a utility in Texas had to scramble to buy makeup power after 1400 Megawatts of wind disappeared when the wind suddenly stopped blowing. That is a lot of juice. Besides Hydro, the only generation that can start that quickly is a gas turbine. For every megawatt of wind power the utility has to have a megawatt of other generation sitting on the ground waiting. That's not very economical. Whoever can invent a way to store huge quantities of electricity can write their own ticket, the more we get invested in solar and wind.

R.