10/22/11 01:24 PM
10/22/11 01:24 PM
Detroit, MI
F
FC7AARcuda Offline OP
FC7AARcuda  Offline OP
F

Detroit, MI

I'm re-assembling my 340 motor. One of the reason I ended up rebuilding was a oil leak in the main seal. I'm finding conflicting instructions on where to use silicon/RTV on the main seal as follows:

1. Mopar Engine Speed Secrets Book - "The rubber main seal should be held in place with Permatex (RTV) behind the seal"

2. How to rebuild your Small-Block Mopar" book - "Put a dab of silicone on each end of the rear seal and run an additional bead along the mating surfaces of the cap"

3. Fel Pro rear seal installation tips on bag the seal came in - "Apply a thin coat of RTV sealer to the outside edges of the cap recess in the block"

4. Fel Pro installation tips contained in gasket set - "Apply an anaerobic sealant to mating surfaces of cap or block. AVOID sealant on ends of seal"

Where should I use RTV and where should I avoid? I don't want to have to do this again. Thanks

Re: Where to use Silicon/RTV on 340 rubber main seal? [Re: FC7AARcuda] #1099193
10/22/11 03:39 PM
10/22/11 03:39 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
RTV under the seal (in the half moon recess) halves. A SMALL dab where each end meets the other seal half (2 dabs). RTV along the sides where the pipe cleaner dealies go or use RTV instead of them. Anaerobic (works best but set in stone) sealant on the metal to metal surfaces where the cap meets the block (each side) EDIT meant to say NOT set in stone

Last edited by RapidRobert; 10/22/11 04:06 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth