10/06/11 03:51 AM
10/06/11 03:51 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
We will be out there running in two classes just curious if anyone else is headed out to race this weekend. We will be tryong to get the old bomb ready for the Divsional race with a new throttle stop and have the other car out there as well. Hopefully it wont break any parts or have any issues

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089217
10/06/11 12:50 PM
10/06/11 12:50 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Wish I was there with you all... I cant wait to see.. or umm.. hear how well the new ride runs..

I'm predicting you'll be in the 7's by the end of the event..

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Jeepmon] #1089218
10/06/11 01:11 PM
10/06/11 01:11 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Hey Al, Good luck out there with the race. I will be taking the winter off this year and getting the Predator motor installed. Looking at the differences in the motors and hooking up the 2 carbs, with the right brackets will take some time. I'm hoping to make MATS, and qualify well.

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: camastomcat] #1089219
10/06/11 01:40 PM
10/06/11 01:40 PM
Sacramento, Ca
S
sanger440 Offline
sanger440  Offline
S

Sacramento, Ca
Hey Al,

I assume the "old bomb" your refer to is your 1000 hp superstreet car, but I seem to have lost track of all your other stuff since you left town. What is "the other" car you speak of?

I have seen pictures of a truck, a couple of guys have dropped of cars at your new ranch in vegas, guys have have picked up cars at your house LOL! I think you still have the camaro. I can't keep track anymore.

Charlie

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: sanger440] #1089220
10/06/11 02:35 PM
10/06/11 02:35 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
For now lets just say it is a Mopar

Oh yeah still have the Camaro, sitting on the side of the house like it has for years. And yep the bomb is the that orange and gray thing.

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Jeepmon] #1089221
10/06/11 03:18 PM
10/06/11 03:18 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Quote:

Wish I was there with you all... I cant wait to see.. or umm.. hear how well the new ride runs..

I'm predicting you'll be in the 7's by the end of the event..

Ummm not sure about that. Frankly I will be happy if it goes down the track straight and does not break anything. That is my goal. What the heck you have already heard it run

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089222
10/06/11 09:27 PM
10/06/11 09:27 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
I was just sending you some excitement with that 7 second prediction.. The car has some potential and I'm sure you're just the right person to sort it out and get her running at its best..

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Jeepmon] #1089223
10/07/11 02:16 AM
10/07/11 02:16 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well like I told you when you were here last weekend, if it goes down the track with no issues and no breakage it will be a success. I am more concerned about getting ole faithful dialed in with the new stop fo rthe divisional next month than trying set the world afire with the new car for sure. Hopefully runing both cars wont be to much of a pain.

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Jeepmon] #1089224
10/10/11 03:02 AM
10/10/11 03:02 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well we survived a long weekend of racing. Did not do anything spectacular for sure. I did qualify number 1, 11.058 on an 11.05 in Bracket 1 but that dont mean much. Had a perfect light too, only to have a throttle stop malfunction screw that up. Oh well made it to round four somehow, one round short of the money and we couls not dial the car for squat.

As for the heads up car. Well I am very happy, very frustrated and very determined. I am happy we went through the weekend and on 6 passes did not hurt anything. Even after a peddle fest first round today. We have it apart tonight and all looks ok so that is good news. Did have a battery issue and had the fuel pump take a dump but we managed to locate new pieces and were able to keep going. My wallet though is severly bruised. We should have bought the new tires and that would have certainly helped as these are over two years old. I know better but took a shot. The thing is a beast if it gets ahold of the track as it did yesterday. We had a nice double wheelstand in the second qualifier that was fun. But there is a serious high gear issue we must solve. Car acts like it is on a limiter bumblin and stumblin. Tach is going all over the place, as in bouncing from 3K-8K back to 2K then up to 9K just everywhere. It appears to be an electrical issue but we will keep digging. It just has no power. Only gaining 27mph on the back half of the track. So need to get that sorted out for sure. I am very determined now that if this class stays around to get this thing working under full power. We ended up pulling a ton of timing out for way to much time but were able to get down the track. With a qualifier of 8.59 but at only 154MPH, I feel pretty good about the results for our first time out. Hopefully we can find the high gear issue and with new tires be able to put some power to it.

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089225
10/10/11 09:55 AM
10/10/11 09:55 AM
Blue Ridge, VA
Plumb Wired Offline
master
Plumb Wired  Offline
master

Blue Ridge, VA
Go ahead and let the cat out of the bag, what is the mystery car? I showed mine now show yours. LOL

Mike Gray

RIP Monte Smith

aka: OutlawFish
'98 Bickel Dodge Dakota PST
Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Plumb Wired] #1089226
10/10/11 08:38 PM
10/10/11 08:38 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Go ahead and let the cat out of the bag, what is the mystery car? I showed mine now show yours. LOL

Mike Gray

Well, I know it's not the Black Barracuda..

So, I won't spill the beans.

Chris...

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089227
10/11/11 12:31 AM
10/11/11 12:31 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Fuel pump issue, high gear issue, no MPH I know you and your son will find it

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Cab_Burge] #1089228
10/11/11 02:58 AM
10/11/11 02:58 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well Cab we thought the same. Unfortuntely the racepak does not seem to want to tell us if that is the case or not. However that does not explain the tach bouncing around and the car litterally shaking as bad as it was.

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Plumb Wired] #1089229
10/11/11 02:41 PM
10/11/11 02:41 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Quote:

Mike Gray

Does this help

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089230
10/11/11 03:16 PM
10/11/11 03:16 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
So...Al...Did you go the hemi route? And were you able to pick up a T/S chassis?

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: camastomcat] #1089231
10/11/11 03:17 PM
10/11/11 03:17 PM
Michigan
G
Get-X Offline
mopar
Get-X  Offline
mopar
G

Michigan
Quote:

So...Al...Did you go the hemi route? And were you able to pick up a T/S chassis?

I think he bought Chris's Cuda.

'65 Belvedere
'68 GTX
'57 Dodge pickup
Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Get-X] #1089232
10/11/11 03:36 PM
10/11/11 03:36 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Quote:

Quote:

Yes I did...Wanted the car not the motor so much. The car is a very nice piece built by one of the best "stock" type door car builders around Phil Mandella. I wanted the car for the kid to drive, but we made the deal for the entire package. Not sure what we plan on doing with it after this year as it appears the class it was built for is going away. But I am thinking it might be fun with a wedge motor on spray or even make it into a small tire SS car like the Wann's Barracuda with a 383. Who knows, for now will will run it in the last couple of races of the year and see what happens.

We did make a number of changes to the engine since I picked up the car, a couple of things Chris had ready to go for us. After some calls we changed a few things on adviced from others and our own spin on things. The engine did fine over the weekend with zero issues in 6 shots. Including a couple of rev limiting shots at 10,000+ rpm

We changed a number of things in the chassis of the car, after a phone call to Phil and looking things over. Nothing major just a lot of minor tweaks like spring rates, moving weight around etc etc. We were pulling a bunch of timing out of it and were spinning the tires on the wheelie bars even with the timing out. We have video I will try and upload.

We do have some issues that needs to be resolved. The car just flat would not pull on the top end of the track. I am racepak illiterate as well. The top end issue appears to be an electrical thing as the tach was all over the place bouncing around. The valvesprings check out fine after the weekend. I cannot get the racepak to show me fuel pressure on the run so not sure if that is the issue, but with the tach bouncing all over I feel it is an ignition issue. The car was only gaining 28 MPH on the back half of the track and watching the racepak acceleration G's it pretty much just quits. We will keep at it. Put some new tires on it to reaplce the two and a half year old ones and see if we can do a little better and make the Mopar guys proud....

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089233
10/11/11 03:52 PM
10/11/11 03:52 PM
Michigan
G
Get-X Offline
mopar
Get-X  Offline
mopar
G

Michigan
Al,you bought a very nice car and I have no doubt it will be flying soon. Your posts and cars seem to ooze class so I look forward to seeing the progress as Chris's (and now your ) Cuda was always one of my favorites. Best of luck!!

'65 Belvedere
'68 GTX
'57 Dodge pickup
Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: Al_Alguire] #1089234
10/11/11 05:18 PM
10/11/11 05:18 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I did...Wanted the car not the motor so much. The car is a very nice piece built by one of the best "stock" type door car builders around Phil Mandella. I wanted the car for the kid to drive, but we made the deal for the entire package. Not sure what we plan on doing with it after this year as it appears the class it was built for is going away. But I am thinking it might be fun with a wedge motor on spray or even make it into a small tire SS car like the Wann's Barracuda with a 383. Who knows, for now will will run it in the last couple of races of the year and see what happens.

We did make a number of changes to the engine since I picked up the car, a couple of things Chris had ready to go for us. After some calls we changed a few things on adviced from others and our own spin on things. The engine did fine over the weekend with zero issues in 6 shots. Including a couple of rev limiting shots at 10,000+ rpm

We changed a number of things in the chassis of the car, after a phone call to Phil and looking things over. Nothing major just a lot of minor tweaks like spring rates, moving weight around etc etc. We were pulling a bunch of timing out of it and were spinning the tires on the wheelie bars even with the timing out. We have video I will try and upload.

We do have some issues that needs to be resolved. The car just flat would not pull on the top end of the track. I am racepak illiterate as well. The top end issue appears to be an electrical thing as the tach was all over the place bouncing around. The valvesprings check out fine after the weekend. I cannot get the racepak to show me fuel pressure on the run so not sure if that is the issue, but with the tach bouncing all over I feel it is an ignition issue. The car was only gaining 28 MPH on the back half of the track and watching the racepak acceleration G's it pretty much just quits. We will keep at it. Put some new tires on it to reaplce the two and a half year old ones and see if we can do a little better and make the Mopar guys proud....

So, I'm confused (easy for me to be). What were you setting the car up for? And were you running the hemi? What kind of times and weight, gear, CI, and such? I'm just curious if this is a prostock 500 CI hemi deal, it's gonna need a whole lotta RPM and lot's o gears to work right, at least that's what I've been told. The powerband is very narrow and almost impossible to get a powerglide to work with it. You probably already know all this cause you do your research, but just saying. Also the racepak guys are pretty good at sorting these things out when you call them, because you need to know fuel pressure at that RPM. And if you have an MSD digital ignition, you should be able to take a look at a run on that to determine if the ignition was failing.

Re: PSCA in Vegas this weekend [Re: camastomcat] #1089235
10/11/11 06:02 PM
10/11/11 06:02 PM
California, USA!!!
W
WheelsUp73 Offline
enthusiast
WheelsUp73  Offline
enthusiast
W

California, USA!!!

So, I'm confused (easy for me to be). What were you setting the car up for? And were you running the hemi? What kind of times and weight, gear, CI, and such? I'm just curious if this is a prostock 500 CI hemi deal, it's gonna need a whole lotta RPM and lot's o gears to work right, at least that's what I've been told. The powerband is very narrow and almost impossible to get a powerglide to work with it. You probably already know all this cause you do your research, but just saying. Also the racepak guys are pretty good at sorting these things out when you call them, because you need to know fuel pressure at that RPM. And if you have an MSD digital ignition, you should be able to take a look at a run on that to determine if the ignition was failing.

My father inlaw raced an A/D in Comp Eliminator. We have a 499 Bob Panella prostock motor in it that makes 1345 HP and we run a liberty 5 speed and a 7 inch 3 disc clutch. It has a best ET of 6.64 @ 206. There is no way a power glide would work with his engine. He launches at 8800 and shifts at 9500 and if it ever went to 10,000 rpm the valve springs were garbage. This dragster held the NHRA national record for a few years and is top notch all the way.
Oh and the whole operation is for sale and is a turn key, ready to racing with alot of spare parts. Just back up your tow rig to it and go racing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2