09/29/11 10:35 AM
09/29/11 10:35 AM
Niles, Michigan
Hitman340 Offline
mopar
Hitman340  Offline
mopar

Niles, Michigan
Let me type this really slow so that its easy to follow.K1 and BPE crankshafts are made in the same factory on the same machine with the same material held to the same spec wrapped in the same cardboard box and put into that box by the same people.I understand that you do not by from this factory your self, you buy from K1,I also understand you have to make money by marking things up.Nothing wrong with that.BPE just spent a lot of money and went out on a limb to eliminate the middle men and save the customer some money and still provide them with the same quality part that you are.Just for less.Maybe the problem is that your paying to much and are unable to pass along these savings.I'm a business man myself and at this point I think id be asking myself why am I not buying from BPE and stop overpaying myself.Just a thought.It concerns me that you do this for a living and this is your business but yet you do not have the facts and knowledge of the competitors your selling against. This is not meant as a cheap shot in any way just think people should know the whole truth.Hope I was able to help.

Last edited by Hitman340; 09/29/11 10:50 AM.
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Hitman340] #1084251
09/29/11 12:41 PM
09/29/11 12:41 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
oh, really? you do realize that K-1 switched factories/ vendors some time back (years ago) for reasons i won't disclose here.
did BPE switch vendors also? i don't believe they did.
i've only seen one BPE crank and it's not the same as the K-1 that we sell. there are numerous differences which i don't care to go in to detail about. claiming they are the same product from the same manufacturer seems to be misleading.

i buy from numerous vendors and sell numerous brands and guess what, the boxes they come in are all very similar or the same, meaning a lot of factories probably buy their boxes from the same place. as a matter of fact, the 440source cranks, RPM Intl. and others use the same boxes too, but their design, tolerances and quality in no way compare to K-1. they also don't use the same manufacturer.

China is a big place and has hundreds of factories producing auto parts, just like this country did half a century ago.
anyone selling offshore parts can claim anything they want. i'll put it this way, show me the proof of your claims above as well as the "twice the price" comment and convince me. would you care to share an invoice to prove that too?
as far as buying from Rod, i buy many of these products by the pallet load, so i doubt he could keep up with the demand. besides, then that would make him a middleman.

one last think to consider regarding pricing. i price our products for resale to accomplish two things. i want to give my customers a good value for their hard earned money, but i also need to make a profit to keep the doors open. i have machinery, employees, a large shop, taxes that have to be paid and so on. the list goes on and on when you run a legit business. i've been doing this for 35 years so my business skills can't be all that bad. they may not be up to your standards, but hey, nobody's perfect.
by the way, no need to type slow, i can read your posts just fine regardless of how fast you type. now if you need to type slow because you can't type fast, no problem, take your time.
some people will always shop by price, that's a given. if you can offer a lower price on a SIMILAR product because you work out of a little garage with no overhead, paying no taxes, employee's etc. etc, while flying under the radar, you'll always have some business.
clearly you have become rods spokesperson but it's just as clear that at least one or possibly both of you fall into the same catagory as mentioned above. that's all fine and well, but we'll see what happenes down the road when it's time too expand.
oh, please don't forget that 1/2 price invoice for the same identical product that doesn't exist. please don't make claims that you can't prove.

Last edited by Performance Only; 09/29/11 12:51 PM.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Performance Only] #1084252
09/29/11 01:16 PM
09/29/11 01:16 PM
On the south side of Nowhere
S
S/ST 3040 Offline
master
S/ST 3040  Offline
master
S

On the south side of Nowhere
Where's the hand clapping smiley?

That was quite a "Performance Only".

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: S/ST 3040] #1084253
09/29/11 01:21 PM
09/29/11 01:21 PM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
Quote:

Where's the hand clapping smiley?

That was quite a "Performance Only".

Not quite what you were looking for,but I find it fitting,............

6847857-gr_banghead.gif (55 downloads)
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Performance Only] #1084254
09/29/11 01:40 PM
09/29/11 01:40 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Thanks Dan at Performance Only, for not only responding to a bunch of emails from me, but also supplying my K1 parts.

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: MRMOPAR] #1084255
09/29/11 03:30 PM
09/29/11 03:30 PM
Orlando Florida
blown572dart Offline
master
blown572dart  Offline
master

Orlando Florida

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: blown572dart] #1084256
09/29/11 03:51 PM
09/29/11 03:51 PM
NJ central
S
Scamp408 Offline
master
Scamp408  Offline
master
S

NJ central
Dan at Performance Only
Good people

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Scamp408] #1084257
09/29/11 04:24 PM
09/29/11 04:24 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
i am not taking sides but from personal experience, for every 1 dollar i have spent with Dan he has answered 10 questions i have had and probably has saved me 10 times what i would have wasted.

alot of times i wouldnt listen and had to find out for myself so he has recieved countless "you were right" phone calls

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Performance Only] #1084258
09/30/11 02:13 PM
09/30/11 02:13 PM
SE PA
F
Five9Dak Offline
Five9Dak  Offline
F

SE PA
Quote:

..... i've only seen one BPE crank and it's not the same as the K-1 that we sell. there are numerous differences which i don't care to go in to detail about. claiming they are the same product from the same manufacturer seems to be misleading.

Here seems the perfect place to go into detail about it.

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Five9Dak] #1084259
09/30/11 02:29 PM
09/30/11 02:29 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Dave's 430 inch smallblock build showed me all I need to know about the BPE assembly and what great quality pieces he got for the money.
I'm definitely a fan.

Having already owned a k1 crank that had to be corrected as well as many others in the past of varying cost, I'm a proponent of buying the lower cost unit knowing going in that there is a high likelyhood I will be spending more on making it ready to use regardless.

So I guess my question would be why I would pay more for the same unit from one place when I can get it for less from the other? What do I get by paying more?

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Performance Only] #1084260
09/30/11 03:05 PM
09/30/11 03:05 PM
Sk. Canada
RemCharger Offline
master
RemCharger  Offline
master

Sk. Canada
Quote:

i think i've sold a few dozen to members here over the years, especially the K-1's. not the K-1 imitators.

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: POS Dakota] #1084261
09/30/11 03:16 PM
09/30/11 03:16 PM
Detroit, MI
R
RawnDart Offline
RawnDart  Offline
R

Detroit, MI
Quote:

Dave's 430 inch smallblock build showed me all I need to know about the BPE assembly and what great quality pieces he got for the money.
I'm definitely a fan.

Having already owned a k1 crank that had to be corrected as well as many others in the past of varying cost, I'm a proponent of buying the lower cost unit knowing going in that there is a high likelyhood I will be spending more on making it ready to use regardless.

So I guess my question would be why I would pay more for the same unit from one place when I can get it for less from the other? What do I get by paying more?

You get to brag about spending more money, that's what you get.
I don't see much benefit in that.

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: RemCharger] #1084262
09/30/11 03:19 PM
09/30/11 03:19 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

i think i've sold a few dozen to members here over the years, especially the K-1's. not the K-1 imitators.

I know there are just as many BPE examples out there too.
What's the difference besides the price and the stamp on the counterweight?

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1084263
09/30/11 03:31 PM
09/30/11 03:31 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Whoa... I just read this thread for the first time.

and finally...

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: BradH] #1084264
09/30/11 03:46 PM
09/30/11 03:46 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Whoa... I just read this thread for the first time.

and finally...

Nono...let's not confuse the situation here and sling mud. I'm not here to sling mud on anyone. I just want facts.

I just want to know if a stamp on a counterweight is the only difference between a BPE crank and a K1 crank.

Anyone?

Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: RawnDart] #1084265
09/30/11 03:54 PM
09/30/11 03:54 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

I'm definitely a fan.

every crankshaft that leaves our shop gets inspected before it gets shipped out. that takes time and we charge a few bucks more for it. that's likely the difference in price. there's no reason to have to correct any K-1 crankshaft regardless of where you buy it. if it's not in spec, i certainly wouldn't want to sell it and i think any dealer would feel the same way. did you contact the person you bought it from and discuss your issue?

Rod and i had a long chat earlier today to resolve any misunderstandings. i would say it was beneficial for both of us.

ii don't think it would do any good to respond any further other than to say a few of you have some incorrect information regarding BPE and K-1, even though your not aware of it.
i stand behind every product we sell and if your not happy with the quality, i certainly would want to know what the problem is so it can be resolved. we don't want unhappy customers.
my guess is that Rod feels the same way, so i'll just leave it at that.
have a great day.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Performance Only] #1084266
09/30/11 04:03 PM
09/30/11 04:03 PM
SE PA
F
Five9Dak Offline
Five9Dak  Offline
F

SE PA
Correct us then.

I post in this community to learn and gain facts. You haven't given us any.

Last edited by Five9Dak; 09/30/11 04:05 PM.
Re: Moparts member selling a forged crankshaft? [Re: Performance Only] #1084267
09/30/11 04:06 PM
09/30/11 04:06 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm definitely a fan.

every crankshaft that leaves our shop gets inspected before it gets shipped out. that takes time and we charge a few bucks more for it. that's likely the difference in price. there's no reason to have to correct any K-1 crankshaft regardless of where you buy it. if it's not in spec, i certainly wouldn't want to sell it and i think any dealer would feel the same way. did you contact the person you bought it from and discuss your issue?

Rod and i had a long chat earlier today to resolve any misunderstandings. i would say it was beneficial for both of us.

ii don't think it would do any good to respond any further other than to say a few of you have some incorrect information regarding BPE and K-1, even though your not aware of it.
i stand behind every product we sell and if your not happy with the quality, i certainly would want to know what the problem is so it can be resolved. we don't want unhappy customers.
my guess is that Rod feels the same way, so i'll just leave it at that.
have a great day.

Thank you for the info.
And yes, I did resolve my own k1 issue a while back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2