09/24/11 02:54 PM
09/24/11 02:54 PM
union, tenn
T
tballralph Offline OP
tballralph  Offline OP
T

union, tenn
It is a basic charger i paid 3000.00 for. It has 383, headers, 2 barrel.For 200.00 i got it runing nicely.It needs trunk pan, the floors have been patched with sheet metal were its solid. It has a lot of rust under it,it needs work on fender well,quarter fender andother outside places.Inside needs head liner seats,door panels and carpet.The console is all there but needs redone.All parts are there for whole car.The car is drivable and runs out nice and mean.I do not know were to start. I am working on cluster now because i need them when i drive it.By the way it was original paint mopar gold.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081485
09/24/11 02:59 PM
09/24/11 02:59 PM
connecticut
pnypwr Offline
master
pnypwr  Offline
master

connecticut
first nd foremost ou need a plan...do you want to drive it while fixing it up? do a concours resto? make a clean nice fun driver? thats the first place you start...

"Are you gonna bark all day lil doggy? Or are you gonna bite?"

05 ram 2500 ctd
74 gremlin x 360
65 mustang 347
70 coronet R/T 440
03 Mach 1
Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: pnypwr] #1081486
09/24/11 03:42 PM
09/24/11 03:42 PM
union, tenn
T
tballralph Offline OP
tballralph  Offline OP
T

union, tenn
I guess i should start fender wells, trunk pan the outside body, last thing inside? .... if i am fenced in and you throw rocks i just bark ....but if i get out i bite

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081487
09/24/11 03:55 PM
09/24/11 03:55 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
If you can't do the welding yourself do yourself a favour and sell the car, save up some money and buy a better car that doesn't need rust repair.
A 383 Charger is not worth enough to justify paying someone else to do major rust repair on. This car could need frame rails, inner and outer wheelhouses etc. by the sound of it.
I think there is an advertiser here that will fix all the rust on the car for something like $20k and thats better value than a local body shop that will cobble it together. So that gives you an idea what you're looking at. No sense in spending $40k to restore a car that will be valued at $20k when finished.

Sheldon

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081488
09/24/11 04:10 PM
09/24/11 04:10 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
as mentioned if you can't do 80% of the metal work....unload it. If you can I'd pull it all apart, yank the engine/trans and either start from the back forward or front to rear.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1081489
09/24/11 05:19 PM
09/24/11 05:19 PM
union, tenn
T
tballralph Offline OP
tballralph  Offline OP
T

union, tenn
I have a friend that will do body work free.A lot of other i can do. The car body looks very good with only primer on it. Almost all the under rust is surface.The motor has only 35000 miles not rebuilt.It sat for 25 year moved just to mow yard. what would it bring as is if i sell? I had a 72&74 sold both when i bought 69.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081490
09/24/11 07:45 PM
09/24/11 07:45 PM
N
newem Offline
newem  Offline
N

Restoring a car requires time and money... but it mostly requires money. If you don't have a good cash flow then it will sit around for years.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081491
09/24/11 11:14 PM
09/24/11 11:14 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Very first step is to find ALL of the rust. I would take a ball pein hammer and lots of light and go under the car. When you crawl out from under it be absolutely confident that the frame rails are solid and straight and know whether the floor has to be replaced and if the inner fenders and wheel houses need replacing or fixing.
When you have that established you can price out the parts needed, consult your friend to see if he really is going to help you until the end. Then you have to decide what you want for a finished product.
It's not necessary for every car to be painted and detailed underneath but if that's what you want the approach is much different than if you want a driver that you will be out in the rain with.
So anyway:
1) Find all rust.
2) Price and obtain necessary sheetmetal.
3) Either disassemble complete car or only whats
necessary (depending on results wanted).
4) Repair rust.
5) Finish bodywork and paint car.
6) Repair/refinish trim.
7) refinish interior.

When you do a budget quote, double or triple it and you'll be close.

Sheldon

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: newem] #1081492
09/24/11 11:41 PM
09/24/11 11:41 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Quote:

Restoring a car requires time and money... but it mostly requires money. If you don't have a good cash flow then it will sit around for years.

and thats even if you can do all the work yourself
or get the work done for nothing.

parts are expensive and add up very fast
i'm afraid to look at my pile of receipts
i'm in too deep anyway, there is no looking back for me

one thing for you to do to start is

make sure you REALLY want it first
and then brace yourself and
be prepared to be digging deep into the wallet...

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1081493
09/24/11 11:49 PM
09/24/11 11:49 PM
Arizona
68CoronetRT Offline
super stock
68CoronetRT  Offline
super stock

Arizona
Quote:

Very first step is to find ALL of the rust. I would take a ball pein hammer and lots of light and go under the car. When you crawl out from under it be absolutely confident that the frame rails are solid and straight and know whether the floor has to be replaced and if the inner fenders and wheel houses need replacing or fixing.
When you have that established you can price out the parts needed, consult your friend to see if he really is going to help you until the end. Then you have to decide what you want for a finished product.
It's not necessary for every car to be painted and detailed underneath but if that's what you want the approach is much different than if you want a driver that you will be out in the rain with.
So anyway:
1) Find all rust.
2) Price and obtain necessary sheetmetal.
3) Either disassemble complete car or only whats
necessary (depending on results wanted).
4) Repair rust.
5) Finish bodywork and paint car.
6) Repair/refinish trim.
7) refinish interior.

When you do a budget quote, double or triple it and you'll be close.

Sheldon

Good advice given here. THE biggest mistake first timers make is not properly evaluating their projects. They tend to see past all the work and money while envisioning themselves driving the end product- a fully restored muscle car. They overlook many flaws and minimize what they do see (like surface rust).
Most of these older cars have had previous work done on them and some of it way below the quality standards these cars deserve.
I just finished a car (inferior brand name) for a customer who bought it and wanted me to just "freshen it up."
The car had over an 1" of bondo covering one quarter, galvanized sheet metal patches screwed on holding what was left of the floor pans and trunk floor together, the center floor support was rusted away, the bucket seats were add-ons from another car brand, and many other horror stories. What started out to be a $4000 job ended up over $12000 to complete and that was for a driver quality car that would see one or two local shows only.

Without a thorough evaluation of the true condition of the car you risk getting into a never ending project that will eventually be sold "as-is" or rust away in the back yard waiting for you to get around to fixing it.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081494
09/25/11 12:46 AM
09/25/11 12:46 AM
Gladstone, Michigan
UP FM3challenger Offline
UP FM3challenger  Offline

Gladstone, Michigan
Pictures would help alot, as well as a final goal (restored original, clone, driver etc).

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: UP FM3challenger] #1081495
09/25/11 01:08 AM
09/25/11 01:08 AM
Maud,Tx
M
maud Offline
mopar
maud  Offline
mopar
M

Maud,Tx
I've restored several cars and am proud of my accomplishments. You have to really have a passion for the hobby to be able to go completely through a car and renew it. It's a love/hate thing for me. Love the car, hate the 2 years of everyday elbow grease it takes to pull it off. I still have 3 of my restored babys, but have bought the last 4 as drivers and left them that way. GOOD LUCK!

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: maud] #1081496
09/25/11 10:01 PM
09/25/11 10:01 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
Don't let others stomp your idea into the ground. Keep a positive attitude and look at the car as individual goals, not one big one. This way you will not get overwhelmed. I would do this: keep the car as a driver so you can enjoy it while you work on it, don't go crazy. Like some of the others have said, start with one part of the car: usually the worst rusted part. Then keep going. If you cover your new metal with rust proofing paint (rust bullet for example), you can leave it for a while and not have to worry about 2 steps forward, one back. Your project will slowly get done while you can drive it and then you will have something in the end to be proud of while learning how to do it. Have your friend teach you the bodywork as he/she does it! Cleanup, paint, and fix as much of the original pieces you can, that will keep costs down. If you start getting discouraged, stop for a while then come back to it. It will be a great learning and fun experience if you don't have to have the car as your daily driver too. Good luck and post pics for everyone to see!
Mark

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: roadrunninMark] #1081497
09/25/11 11:20 PM
09/25/11 11:20 PM
Gladstone, Michigan
UP FM3challenger Offline
UP FM3challenger  Offline

Gladstone, Michigan
Quote:

Don't let others stomp your idea into the ground. Keep a positive attitude and look at the car as individual goals, not one big one. This way you will not get overwhelmed. I would do this: keep the car as a driver so you can enjoy it while you work on it, don't go crazy. Like some of the others have said, start with one part of the car: usually the worst rusted part. Then keep going. If you cover your new metal with rust proofing paint (rust bullet for example), you can leave it for a while and not have to worry about 2 steps forward, one back. Your project will slowly get done while you can drive it and then you will have something in the end to be proud of while learning how to do it. Have your friend teach you the bodywork as he/she does it! Cleanup, paint, and fix as much of the original pieces you can, that will keep costs down. If you start getting discouraged, stop for a while then come back to it. It will be a great learning and fun experience if you don't have to have the car as your daily driver too. Good luck and post pics for everyone to see!
Mark

I tore down my road runner to completely restore it in 94. The car is still apart, wish I would have done it sections at a time. The small parts add up fast when you do a complete disassembly.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: roadrunninMark] #1081498
09/26/11 08:25 PM
09/26/11 08:25 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
+1 to all of the above.

I can't agree that a "383 car isn't worth repairing the rust". If it is worth to YOU, then that is all that matters. I have a worthless Charger with a 383 myself and it's worth it to me.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: tballralph] #1081499
09/26/11 08:58 PM
09/26/11 08:58 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
if you can handle the sheetmetal work, go ahead and do it. AMD sells lots of quality sheemetal for the 68-70 chargers.

If you wont be able to tackle the job yourself, just flip it and get one thats rust free. You will be dollars and time ahead even if it's more expensive than 3k.

Its just a 383 car so, there is no sense in throwing more money in it than it's worth....if you can do it cheaper....

If it was a rare car, then that was another story....it would make sense to bring it back!

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: domingo] #1081500
09/28/11 12:43 AM
09/28/11 12:43 AM
Pattison Texas
CSK Offline
master
CSK  Offline
master

Pattison Texas
well I guess I WONT restore my charger now, its only a 383 car its not worth anything from what I see on this site mabee a bulldozer driving over it would be ok with some of yall

1968 Charger COLD A/C Hilborn EFI
512ci 9.7 compression, Stealth heads, 4.10 gear A518 ODtrans 4100lb,10.93 full street car trim
2020 T/A 392 Stock 11.79 @ 114.5

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: CSK] #1081501
09/28/11 01:17 AM
09/28/11 01:17 AM
Mississippi
lahatte Offline
enthusiast
lahatte  Offline
enthusiast

Mississippi
I had a 1970 383 Charger that I aquired some years ago. I've never been much into the Chargers, but I wish I hadn't sold that one. It was an SE, special order Silver paint (999 paint code), black vinyl roof, cruise, A/C, power windows, AM/FM/8-track, Leather, etc. Nice options. It would be nice if it gets restored.

Gold cars can be really pretty.

Re: Were to start on my 69 charger restoring project car [Re: roadrunninMark] #1081502
09/28/11 12:14 PM
09/28/11 12:14 PM
Arizona
68CoronetRT Offline
super stock
68CoronetRT  Offline
super stock

Arizona
Quote:

Mark

I don't think anyone is trying to kill his dream but rather point out the facts to him before he begins his project.
Restoring a car is a costly thing to do and if you are not already equipped with the tools and knowledge it is even more costly and time consuming.
Also many guys think they'll restore a car, drive it for a while and then sell it for big bucks like they do on Barrett-Jackson.
With today's market you will have trouble selling any restoration for what you have in it unless it is a VERY desirable model.
Once equipped with the facts if he decides to continue that's up to him and him alone.
I keep a log book of the hours I put into restoring a car, the cost of the materials, the cost of the supplies, the cost of the replacement parts, etc. and it is a real eye opener.