08/19/11 11:38 PM
08/19/11 11:38 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
I'm no stranger to electronics and understand what happens to solderless connecions over time. I have a beautiful dash harness for my bee and my rear harness is quite nice also. I am contemplating using them but I don't want headaches with poor continuity and shorts.

is it just a nightmare to try to clean terminals and hit them with dielectric grease? I have contemplated putting in a modern system like an Ididit with the spade fuse block but I don't want to fight to make a generic harness fit. That and where do I get all the connectors or do I just use multiple spade connectors which sounds like a terrible hassle.

Tell me the good and bad from your experience.

I’m listening.
Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1057744
08/19/11 11:56 PM
08/19/11 11:56 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

'65 dart; set the behind the dash harness on the floor & built an identical harness next to it w new wire 1ga larger. set/tag 1 wire on the floor then remove/toss 1 wire from the OE harness till the OE one shrinks/dissapears and the new harness takes shape. BUT now I'm in a bind as I didn't use the same colors as OE on each wire & some of the tags fell off so I'm in a bind & have alot of addt'l work ahead of me instead of the plug & play I should have had. Spools of wire are cheap & I should have bought multiple spools w all the colors I needed. NAPA has the brass male/female crimp on terminals & I soldered them (w care) 725145/725147. Use a male terminal to check each soldered female one that the solder did flow too far from the crimp toward the tip which will interfere w you go to plug em together

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: RapidRobert] #1057745
08/20/11 12:13 AM
08/20/11 12:13 AM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

Quote:

'65 dart; set the behind the dash harness on the floor & built an identical harness next to it w new wire 1ga larger. set/tag 1 wire on the floor then remove/toss 1 wire from the OE harness till the OE one shrinks/dissapears and the new harness takes shape. BUT now I'm in a bind as I didn't use the same colors as OE on each wire & some of the tags fell off so I'm in a bind & have alot of addt'l work ahead of me instead of the plug & play I should have had. Spools of wire are cheap & I should have bought multiple spools w all the colors I needed. NAPA has the brass male/female crimp on terminals & I soldered them (w care) 725145/725147. Use a male terminal to check each soldered female one that the solder did flow too far from the crimp toward the tip which will interfere w you go to plug em together

That's gotta be frustrating losing the labels like that. I have actually made wiring harnesses for electronic units unrelated to cars and built them just as you described. So does NAPA carry the correct multi connectors or did you just crimp a bunch of single spades?

Thanks for the story.

I’m listening.
Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1057746
08/20/11 12:46 AM
08/20/11 12:46 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
You can get the factory style terminals at Napa or many other places.

Because of the color coding I like to use the factory harnesses when I can. I tend to find the oil pressure and temp sensor wire to be pretty brittle but in most cases the rest of the harness is OK. A little massage here a little tweak there and good as new.

I do suggest bumping up the wires from the alternator to the battery to at least 1 size larger. While your at it bypass or beef up the bulkhead connector and add a fusible link at the alternator in addition to the one at the starter relay. A common problem is runaway alternators pushing too much amps through the factory wiring...

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1057747
08/20/11 01:07 AM
08/20/11 01:07 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

So does NAPA carry the correct multi connectors or did you just crimp a bunch of single spades?

I crimped/soldered a bunch of 145/147 terminals and w an eyeglass mini screwdriver I easily released the OE brass ones so they'd come out of the bakelite connectors then pulled the locking tab on the side of the new brass ones out a bit & it'll lock in place into the connectors (like the L shaped 2 terminal one that plugs into a flasher can etc)when you push the new terminal/wire in. The OE connectors get faded over time but in my case if there is no damage from too much amperage I was Ok w em. trick is to depress the tab just the right amt so the old wire/terminal will easily pull out no need to force anything

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1057748
08/20/11 01:21 AM
08/20/11 01:21 AM
USA
J
JoesMopar Offline
master
JoesMopar  Offline
master
J

USA
I used a Painless wiring kit on my Charger and it fit and works excellent. Very easy to install, great instructions, good price and the wires literally tell you where they go.

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1057749
08/20/11 10:28 AM
08/20/11 10:28 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
MYSELF being overseas and where correct color wires are unavailable have been reusing wires since ever! no probs as far I clean terminals.

Of course as stated Engine harness is the one what is common what needs to to fix HOWEVER some the colors of this harness are pretty much common in grocery iron shops if needing to replace. Color regulary available down here are just 6: black, white, Green, Yellow, Blue ( sometimes light sometimes dark depending on manufacturer ), Red and that's all. Forgett about violet, gray, Pink, and even less traced, never have seen those on regular shops locally.

male spade conectors are also unavailable but females are somekind available, what is good because male terminals are easy to clean up and mantenience, but females are hard to mantenience ( how electrician stuff is correctly based in nature HUH!!!? LOL )

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: NachoRT74] #1057750
08/20/11 11:53 AM
08/20/11 11:53 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

male spade conectors are also unavailable but females are somekind available, what is good because male terminals are easy to clean up and mantenience, but females are hard to mantenience ( how electrician stuff is correctly based in nature HUH!!!? LOL )

Hello Nacho, the weekend is here already? , time flies when your havin fun. Well my boss says if it flies floats drives or f----s it's gonna b trouble 1 way or the other EDIT next time I'll 4 sure grab a spool of every color in the harness (even several gauges of the same color if need b) & that'll make it easy

Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/20/11 12:08 PM.

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: RapidRobert] #1057751
08/20/11 11:50 PM
08/20/11 11:50 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Great suggestions, guys. That's one of the reasons I love moparts. One of the issues I have is the bulk head connector hole and if I rewire, should I use that old connector. Or is it possible to take one of the painless or ididit or others and wire it into the connector so it fills the hole. I am assuming that the new kits don't separate the harness at the bulk head connector. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard as long as I got it apart without cracking it.

I’m listening.
Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: NachoRT74] #1057752
08/21/11 08:20 AM
08/21/11 08:20 AM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

but females are hard to mantenience ( how electrician stuff is correctly based in nature HUH!!!? LOL )

words to live by!

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: mikemee1331] #1057753
08/21/11 10:02 AM
08/21/11 10:02 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
There was a recent post on cooling that mentioned zinc anodes which I had been wanting to get but had spaced off & had an address so I called em & bought one & they (classic industries) sent me their catalog (arrived b 4 the anode did ) & it's got alot of interesting stuff including colored bulbs etc but upon perusal they have new wiring harnesses & underdash for a 65 dart is $558 . If you set it (your OE harness) out on the floor/do 1 wire at a time/check crimps & solder/correct colors & gauges you'll easily have an exact high quality duplicate 4 cheap EDIT if high amperage anywhere has not damaged your bulkhead bakelite halves just use that mini eyeglass screwdriver to easily R&R the wires w no damage to the bakelite connectors

Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/24/11 10:23 PM.

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: RapidRobert] #1057754
08/21/11 11:53 AM
08/21/11 11:53 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
IMHO there is no need to replace a factory harness unless it's been previously hacked up or burned up. I agree with IMGTX that it's a good idea to go larger on the main power wiring as I've done that to a couple harnesses; replace the alternator and ammeter wires with a larger gauge (can't remember how much larger I went). The main connectors in the firewall bulkheads for the alternator/battery feeds is a problem. This may not be pretty but I resorted to eliminating the spade connections and have ring tongue terminals bolted together on the passenger compartment side taped up.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: 6PakBee] #1057755
08/21/11 12:29 PM
08/21/11 12:29 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Have you priced out a new harness from Year One? No, not cheap, but they are made by M&H and are a very high quality plug and play factory style reproduction.

I just don't see the logic in spending good money on an aftermarket custom harness like a Painless for use on a stock/original car when a really nice reproduction is available for a few more bucks. In the big picture cost of an average restoration it's a drop in the bucket.

As far as patching up and trusting an old harness (even if it "looks" really nice) not me! I've seen too many cars burn up because the owner tried to save a few bucks avoiding replacing an item that can destroy your car with zero warning

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1057756
08/24/11 01:42 PM
08/24/11 01:42 PM
None
71rm23 Offline
master
71rm23  Offline
master

None
Quote:

Have you priced out a new harness from Year One? No, not cheap, but they are made by M&H and are a very high quality plug and play factory style reproduction.

I just don't see the logic in spending good money on an aftermarket custom harness like a Painless for use on a stock/original car when a really nice reproduction is available for a few more bucks. In the big picture cost of an average restoration it's a drop in the bucket.

As far as patching up and trusting an old harness (even if it "looks" really nice) not me! I've seen too many cars burn up because the owner tried to save a few bucks avoiding replacing an item that can destroy your car with zero warning

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: 71rm23] #1057757
08/24/11 03:40 PM
08/24/11 03:40 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Tom_440 Offline
master
Tom_440  Offline
master

Las Vegas, NV
The M&H harness is not cheap, but with a YO discount it is less bad. They are very nice.

When I was in High School I rewired the dash harness in my 340 Challenger with a spool of red wire. I sort of felt bad for the next owner...

Re: Wiring harnesses. Are old ones a bad idea? [Re: 71rm23] #1057758
08/25/11 10:34 AM
08/25/11 10:34 AM
Maryland
C
cudaboone Offline
enthusiast
cudaboone  Offline
enthusiast
C

Maryland
Also agree. Not worth the uncertainty!!!