N
newbee69 Offline OP
super stock
newbee69  Offline OP
super stock
N

North Chicagoland
Hey all,
I am in the process of teardown and I have the 8 3/4 out of the car.
I wanted to clean it up and paint it, so I decided to dissassemble. Did I need to? Not really, it was working fine. But curiousity got the best of me...lol.
Anyways, all I did was pull the pig and shafts, so what exactly am I looking for in regards to a potential problem? I mean how do I perform a proper inspection?
I can provide some pics if it can help.

Plus, Ive always heard that if you pull the axles, you should automatically replace the seals. Is that true? Didnt guys back in the day, change out the center section at the track, (going from street friendly gears to race)therefore pulling the axles? I cant imagine guys changed the seals when they did that.

If everything checks out fine, do I just assemble it the same way I took it out or do I need to make some adjustments (end play, etc).

Sorry for newb questions, but I have never really looked into rear end stuff. Now that I have it apart, it looks pretty straitforward, but I figured I would ask you guys to be sure Im going about it right.

Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Ill post some pics in a little while....

Oh yeah, almost forgot, 80-90 okay? about 2+ quarts or until it starts to seep out the hole? Its SG, so how bout additive?

Last edited by newbee69; 08/19/11 01:19 PM.
Re: 8 3/4 help please... [Re: newbee69] #1056764
08/19/11 03:59 PM
08/19/11 03:59 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

so what exactly am I looking for in regards to a potential problem? I mean how do I perform a proper inspection?

Look for obviously broken parts like chipped gear teeth or missing parts. Check to be sure the thrust buttons are in place if it's a clutch type Sure-Grip. If not, look in the bottom of the housing.

Quote:

Plus, Ive always heard that if you pull the axles, you should automatically replace the seals. Is that true?

You only need to replace the seals if they're old and stiff (they probably are), not just because you removed the axles unless you damaged them on removal.

Quote:

If everything checks out fine, do I just assemble it the same way I took it out or do I need to make some adjustments (end play, etc).

If you didn't check the end play before disassembly, check it on reassembly and adjust as needed.

Quote:

Oh yeah, almost forgot, 80-90 okay? about 2+ quarts or until it starts to seep out the hole? Its SG, so how bout additive?

Fill to the bottom of the filler hole, hypoid lube with the additive or synthetic made for limited slip doesn't need the additive.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: 8 3/4 help please... [Re: John_Kunkel] #1056765
08/19/11 11:04 PM
08/19/11 11:04 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
wrap the axle end w a piece of brown paper sack covering the splines wrapped somewhat tight then insert the axle past the seal till just a piece of sack still showing then let the sack loosen & pull the sack piece out. I do this on (axle) removal also EDIT by pulling it out till the splines are somewhat close to the inside of the seal then wrap the sack around it on the outside tight then push the axle in further to get the sack ~even distance on either side of the seal then loosen it a bit so the axle can b pulled out till the splines are in the sack then tighten it then withdraw both together w the sack in place so the splines never see the seal. Overkill prob but these days I do not tempt Murphy's law & it takes seconds 2 do

Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/19/11 11:28 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 8 3/4 help please... [Re: John_Kunkel] #1056766
08/20/11 03:15 AM
08/20/11 03:15 AM
North Chicagoland
N
newbee69 Offline OP
super stock
newbee69  Offline OP
super stock
N

North Chicagoland
Quote:

Look for obviously broken parts like chipped gear teeth or missing parts. Check to be sure the thrust buttons are in place if it's a clutch type Sure-Grip. If not, look in the bottom of the housing.

No chipped teeth, everything looks good. Thrust buttons are in place.

You only need to replace the seals if they're old and stiff (they probably are), not just because you removed the axles unless you damaged them on removal.

Well, they look okay, whats the definition of old and stiff?

If you didn't check the end play before disassembly, check it on reassembly and adjust as needed.

Checked the endplay adjustment thread in Tech archive...shouldnt be a problem

Fill to the bottom of the filler hole, hypoid lube with the additive or synthetic made for limited slip doesn't need the additive.

Thanks!