08/16/11 02:11 AM
Maple Valley, WA
70mopes Offline OP
pro stock
70mopes  Offline OP
pro stock

Maple Valley, WA
Hoping to find some piece of mind

Sprayed OMNI MX241 (PPG) primer filler on my resto Saturday afternoon. Clear and ambient temps although not hot... 70 degrees tops. Car was stripped with media initially and sprayed with DP40, scuffed and body work started. Once complete, another coat of DP40 was applied, cured and scuffed with 80 grit, body was wiped with wax and grease remover and then wiped with isopropyl alcohol. I sprayed the MX241 primer filler and tonight (approx 48 hours since application) I started knocking it down with dry 180. It sanded and did not clump however in a couple areas I sanded through the MX241 to the DP and noticed that I was able to scrape the MX241 with my finger nail. The material is soft at the surface. The areas I did not apply more that a single coat are hard and set and do not have these indications. I mixed the hardener per the spec sheet and used approx 10 - 15% PPG reducer. I am guilty of not waiting the full 20 minutes between coats in some areas. My concern is whether the material will harden over time. right now I am a bit freaked as to the idea of having to take it back down and start over. Ugghhhh

Temps have not been much above 70 since I shot the car. Was thinking of turning the heater on to see if that would help it harden.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: 70mopes] #1053856
08/16/11 08:49 AM
08/16/11 08:49 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
i have never used that primer so i can't give you exact comments about it. the primer is gray correct?
with a 2K primer it will cure slower if you don't use proper flash times.
i know with other PPG heavy solid primers similar to this stuff won't properly cure without using a heat lamp.
my suggestion is to get the car in the sun to bake it. or get out a heat lamp to give it a full cure.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: Mr T2U] #1053857
08/16/11 11:29 AM
08/16/11 11:29 AM
Maple Valley, WA
70mopes Offline OP
pro stock
70mopes  Offline OP
pro stock

Maple Valley, WA
Yes, a light gray polyester primer.

Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: Mr T2U] #1053858
08/16/11 01:24 PM
08/16/11 01:24 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

i have never used that primer so i can't give you exact comments about it. the primer is gray correct?
with a 2K primer it will cure slower if you don't use proper flash times.
i know with other PPG heavy solid primers similar to this stuff won't properly cure without using a heat lamp.
my suggestion is to get the car in the sun to bake it. or get out a heat lamp to give it a full cure.

I almost posted exactly this yesterday but since I'm not a paint guy I thought I'd shutup & let the paint & body guys comment..

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: 70mopes] #1053859
08/16/11 05:00 PM
08/16/11 05:00 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Yes, a light gray polyester primer.

sounds like you didn't mix the Omni properly?,....I usually use the Evercoat G2 polyester primer/fill, pot life is only 15-20 minutes, so if it don't set like rock within that time frame you know you did something wrong, mix wise,....or perhaps the mat'l was frozen at some time before you used it, if you can't cure the car in the sun, or a heat booth,....time to scrape it off,...IMHO avoid the OMNI line, I have little love for PPG products, Omni is rock bottom as far as quality though, much like the Nason brand line is junk for Dupont,....Evercoat is perhaps your better line for polyester resin primer/fill sprayable products,...sucks to have the situation your at, but better to remove it now, than after trying/hoping it will cure under the paint, which will just be a bigger mess down the road

Mike

Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: 70mopes] #1053860
08/16/11 07:48 PM
08/16/11 07:48 PM
md
W
wicked Offline
enthusiast
wicked  Offline
enthusiast
W

md
Quote:

Hoping to find some piece of mind

Sprayed OMNI MX241 (PPG) primer filler on my resto Saturday afternoon. Clear and ambient temps although not hot... 70 degrees tops. Car was stripped with media initially and sprayed with DP40, scuffed and body work started. Once complete, another coat of DP40 was applied, cured and scuffed with 80 grit, body was wiped with wax and grease remover and then wiped with isopropyl alcohol. I sprayed the MX241 primer filler and tonight (approx 48 hours since application) I started knocking it down with dry 180. It sanded and did not clump however in a couple areas I sanded through the MX241 to the DP and noticed that I was able to scrape the MX241 with my finger nail. The material is soft at the surface. The areas I did not apply more that a single coat are hard and set and do not have these indications. I mixed the hardener per the spec sheet and used approx 10 - 15% PPG reducer. I am guilty of not waiting the full 20 minutes between coats in some areas. My concern is whether the material will harden over time. right now I am a bit freaked as to the idea of having to take it back down and start over. Ugghhhh

Temps have not been much above 70 since I shot the car. Was thinking of turning the heater on to see if that would help it harden.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I have seen that where the first coat wasn't activated properly, and have seen it when the material was put on to fast without proper flash times, the last coat skins over trapping solvents.

Sand it some to open the surface and leave it sit, putting in the sun with solvents trapped it will blister, like others said if it doesn't dry thoroughly take it all off.

Last edited by wicked; 08/16/11 07:53 PM.
Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: 70mopes] #1053861
08/18/11 02:04 AM
08/18/11 02:04 AM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Let it sit for a week or roll the car out in the sun for few days ,see if it hardens up, if not, sand or scrape it off and use G2, it never failed on me yet,use it all the time

Re: Paint experts - Soft MX241 primer/filler concern. [Re: elitecustombody] #1053862
08/18/11 11:35 AM
08/18/11 11:35 AM
Maple Valley, WA
70mopes Offline OP
pro stock
70mopes  Offline OP
pro stock

Maple Valley, WA
Thanks for the replies. The Omni is coming off and will be replaced with G2. Don't want to tempt fate with the crappy job I did the first time around.

In hindsight there were multiple errors on my part that lead to the poor results. The product had sat for to long and became very viscous , I did not use enough hardener, the use of reducer may have affected cure and application without adhering to flash time requirements.

With a wife and kids, I was attempting to get more done than I should have with the window of opportunity I had and tried doing so without taking the proper steps to make sure I did it right. Patience is a virtue they say... especially when it comes to the restoration process - every aspect of it.

Thanks again.