07/13/11 09:53 PM
07/13/11 09:53 PM
Essex, Ont., Canada
Fishmarket Offline OP
enthusiast
Fishmarket  Offline OP
enthusiast

Essex, Ont., Canada
How much mechanical advance does a bb mopar performance distributor have?
Thanks

1972 Plymouth Cuda 340 4 speed 1971 Plymouth Road Runner 383 Auto 1970 Plymouth Duster /6 Auto
Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: Fishmarket] #1032220
07/13/11 10:06 PM
07/13/11 10:06 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
the old ones were alot. the new style is maybe 16*(not sure)

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: Fishmarket] #1032221
07/13/11 10:22 PM
07/13/11 10:22 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: Fishmarket] #1032222
07/14/11 12:31 AM
07/14/11 12:31 AM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Quote:

Thanks

Don't know about the notes in the Tech Archives but..
The Mopar big block wedge book shows a chart that the MP performance distributors have a mechanical advance of 20 degrees all in by about 2500 RPM..
Add an initial of about 12-14 degrees and makes 32-34 degrees total..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: Sinitro] #1032223
07/14/11 11:23 AM
07/14/11 11:23 AM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

The Mopar big block wedge book shows a chart that the MP performance distributors have a mechanical advance of 20 degrees all in by about 2500 RPM..

Just my $0.02...

The information in that book is so old that Shepard is talking about the original ones that still had the stock type advance mechanism instead of the newer Mallory built distributors.

The tech archive posting was writen by Robbmc who was the engineer who designed the newer Mallory built distributor. I would trust his info over Shepards any day. Shepard was hired back in the 70's as a technical writer to combine the old Racing Bulletins into manuals and add new information from the engineers. I realize that his knowledge and responsibility probably grew over the years but he was still pretty green when these books were written. They desperately need a knowledgeable person to rewrite them from front to back with more relevant information or stop selling them. All of the info in them is ancient, some is still good and some is just plain wrong. Most of the part numbers haven't been available for decades. I think of it as a History book. I saw a car a couple of years ago that had been freshly built with the old Missle style Leaf-link suspension. He thought it was state of the art because he saw it in the book. WOW, That has been obsolete for almost 40 years.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: GomangoCuda] #1032224
07/14/11 05:00 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

100% agree on the books. The amount of misinformation in them is huge, such as the "thinwall '75-and-up block" BS. A newbie who is just into the Chrysler world will buy an MP book thinking it is full of the right info and it takes a long time to unlearn the wrong stuff.

MP is lucky it has such a loyal group to sell to or else it would have been out of business years ago!
R.

Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: GomangoCuda] #1032225
Central Valley, CA.
Quicksilver440 Offline
I Live Here
Quicksilver440  Offline
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Just my $0.02...

The information in that book is so old that Shepard is talking about the original ones that still had the stock type advance mechanism instead of the newer Mallory built distributors.

The tech archive posting was writen by Robbmc who was the engineer who designed the newer Mallory built distributor. I would trust his info over Shepards any day. Shepard was hired back in the 70's as a technical writer to combine the old Racing Bulletins into manuals and add new information from the engineers. I realize that his knowledge and responsibility probably grew over the years but he was still pretty green when these books were written. They desperately need a knowledgeable person to rewrite them from front to back with more relevant information or stop selling them. All of the info in them is ancient, some is still good and some is just plain wrong. Most of the part numbers haven't been available for decades. I think of it as a History book. I saw a car a couple of years ago that had been freshly built with the old Missle style Leaf-link suspension. He thought it was state of the art because he saw it in the book. WOW, That has been obsolete for almost 40 years.

Gomango is correct...the new MP distributors are made by mallory and have a fully adjustable mechanical advance.

Re: Mp distributor mechanical advance [Re: GomangoCuda] #1032226
07/14/11 06:42 PM
07/14/11 06:42 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Just my $0.02...

Well I took my Mopar Performance distributor to the local shop who has an old Sun distributor machine. The distributor had 22 degrees mechanical advance all in by 2700 RPM, slightly off from the Mopar book but not by much....

Just my $0.02...