08/09/08 10:19 PM
08/09/08 10:19 PM
S.E. MICH.
D
Demonizer Offline OP
Demonizer  Offline OP
D

S.E. MICH.
340 small block. Problem---no fuel from output side of fuel pump. Figured bad fuel pump, replaced pump with OEM pump, also replaced fuel filter. Input and output connections were not marked on this pump so I connected them in the same orientation as the old pump. Line from gas tank to connection facing rear of car. Line from carb. to connection facing front of car. Still have the same problem--- No fuel being delivered to carb. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help with fuel delivery problem!! [Re: Demonizer] #102147
08/09/08 10:28 PM
08/09/08 10:28 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Awhile back I put an 318 from an '83 cordoba in my 65 dart & the fitting on the pump that is close to & points to the fuel line/neoprene hose on the frame rail so that has to obviously be the inlet that one threw me for a loop for awhile. It was orientated the opposite of every other fuel pump I had ever seen.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Need help with fuel delivery problem!! [Re: RapidRobert] #102148
08/09/08 10:40 PM
08/09/08 10:40 PM
S.E. MICH.
D
Demonizer Offline OP
Demonizer  Offline OP
D

S.E. MICH.
So Rapid Robert, if I understand your post correctly you are saying that the connection facing the line from the gas tank was not the input connection, but was the output connection?

Re: Need help with fuel delivery problem!! [Re: Demonizer] #102149
08/09/08 10:46 PM
08/09/08 10:46 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
YES. that was a fuel pump for an 83 cordoba application. The fuel lines on it had some weird bends & curves. If that is not the case with yours & know that some times even a new pump & definitely alot of used ones will be hard to prime then timing cover has to come off & see whats up with the eccentric but lets keep our fingers crossed & hope we don't have to do that.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Need help with fuel delivery problem!! [Re: Demonizer] #102150
08/09/08 10:49 PM
08/09/08 10:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This should be easy to figure out, mechanical pumps are not rocket science. You should be able to stroke the old pump with your hand, and see that it not only develops losts of pressure against your finger at the outlet, but it ALSO develops plenty of vacuum at the inlet

you really should go downtown and buy an inexpensive pressure/vaccum tuneup gauge--ANY parts store sells them, and they aren't very expensive. Not only can you use them to adjust your carb idle, you can use them to test your fuel pump!!!

My old '70 manual shows 5-7lbs output, but I wouldn't use that as a stone thing, anything from say, 3 1/2-7 should be good OUTPUT

My old book shows that you run the car at idle, and with the output of the pump unhooked, the INLET should pull AT LEAST 10" of vaccuum OR MORE

It should pump 1 qt in one minute, just a rule of thumb

INLET valve test--turn engine over on starter, the pump should pull vacuum, but should NOT blow back pressure (alternating vacuum and pressure)

Also, since you have a new pump giving you trouble, I would also not rule out problems with your pump cam on the camshaft

Check your suction hoses, make sure they are not collapsing. Years ago, a friend of mine had a car with a flat--bottom screen on the tank pickup, it came loose and would suck up against the bottom of the pickup, stopping fuel flow.