06/11/11 12:58 AM
06/11/11 12:58 AM
Pennsylvania
proshiftcharger Offline OP
pro stock
proshiftcharger  Offline OP
pro stock

Pennsylvania
After removing the majority of the seam sealer your're left with a thin film that the torch and puddy/scrapper leave behind. What is the best way to remove whats left to get clean metal to begin prep for priming?

thanks in advance

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: proshiftcharger] #1010765
06/11/11 12:57 PM
06/11/11 12:57 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Sandblasting.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: proshiftcharger] #1010766
06/11/11 07:37 PM
06/11/11 07:37 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Wire brush on air die grinder or electric grinder, whichever one fits better.If you like to scoop and chase sand out of a car for days, you can blast. If you decide to blast, I recommend using a powerful backpack blower to get the media out of the car

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010767
06/11/11 11:02 PM
06/11/11 11:02 PM
Pennsylvania
proshiftcharger Offline OP
pro stock
proshiftcharger  Offline OP
pro stock

Pennsylvania
Thanks guys. Unfortunately sand blasting is not an option at this time. I had planned on using a wire wheel brush for the last step and Im trying to avoid getting the brush all gummed up. If memory serves me right I recall reading here on moparts that WD 40 or laquer thinner or something along those lines can be used effectively. I might be getting what I read confused with removing undercoating. Is there any agents that can be used before or after the wire brush?
thanks again, much appreciated.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: proshiftcharger] #1010768
06/12/11 03:12 AM
06/12/11 03:12 AM
owensboro, ky
rallye73 Offline
mopar
rallye73  Offline
mopar

owensboro, ky
3m clean n strip disc. These are the black course looking disc you find in the paint section of most any auto parts stores. Should be about $10. They work great!

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010769
06/12/11 06:41 PM
06/12/11 06:41 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

Wire brush on air die grinder or electric grinder, whichever one fits better.If you like to scoop and chase sand out of a car for days, you can blast. If you decide to blast, I recommend using a powerful backpack blower to get the media out of the car

Or do like we do and cover the car with plastic, cutting out and masking the areas to be blasted.
After we blast, we blow the sand off of the plastic and remove it.
So easy, even a GEICO spokesperson can do it.
And much cheaper than clean-up labor.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: BarrsRestoration] #1010770
06/13/11 01:36 AM
06/13/11 01:36 AM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Or do like we do and cover the car with plastic, cutting out and masking the areas to be blasted.

Sure,I'd like to see you mask off the whole car and yet leave all seams exposed and ready for blasting . And after blasting I'd like t see you remove that plastic and not get any media in the car

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010771
06/13/11 09:15 AM
06/13/11 09:15 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure,I'd like to see you mask off the whole car and yet leave all seams exposed and ready for blasting . And after blasting I'd like t see you remove that plastic and not get any media in the car

Yes my blaster would blow through any plastic or masking, no way it would help.

I like to use a steam pressure washer before I do any blasting. It'll remove everything except factory paint.
I did a quick blasting inside this car with my pressure washer in the rear half in these pictures. It will remove everything like I said.

The interior is dirty in these pictures because I did some light media blasting on the rear end after water blasting, so it's laying on the floor boards(media) in these pictures.

Before with 30 years of road tar and under coating.

]

Half done.

It don't get any better than this.

Makes media blasting very easy, easy on me and the sheet metal. Not a lot of stress to the metal because I only have to blast very lightly using less media and easier cleanup. I'm not packing my panels with media.

Here's where I did the work, both water blasting and media blasting.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010772
06/13/11 07:06 PM
06/13/11 07:06 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The next time you're up this way, stop in and watch. Nice Honda, BTW.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: BarrsRestoration] #1010773
06/14/11 12:06 AM
06/14/11 12:06 AM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The next time you're up this way, stop in and watch. Nice Honda, BTW.

Thanks for the invite.I just don't see how doing it your way is efficient ,when wire wheel works just fine with no masking,no plastic and no sand to deal with. You can argue all you want. I could see it work when you have to repair isolated spot,masking and covering up sections and leaving exposed seams can take hours and usually when something like this that needs to be done, there are plenty of surface rust to deal with ,so it would make no sense to mask.Because anyone with half the brains would gut the car.

BTW,next time you attempt to insult anyone ,at least get the make right. The car you see in my signature is actually made by Toyota,it's called a Supra ,do a little reading up on them ,you might be surprized what these "Hondas" can do. And this particular "Honda" is stuffed with a V8 and twin turbos.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010774
06/14/11 04:45 PM
06/14/11 04:45 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Keep posting pictures. I'll let you know when I'm impressed.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: BarrsRestoration] #1010775
06/14/11 06:13 PM
06/14/11 06:13 PM
Jacksonville Florida
elitecustombody Offline
pro stock
elitecustombody  Offline
pro stock

Jacksonville Florida
I wasn't aware that this thread was about impressing you. Last time I checked ,someone needed help or advice on removal of seam sealer.Your condescending attitude makes you look like one arrogant tool.

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010776
06/14/11 06:59 PM
06/14/11 06:59 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Gentleman - can we get back on topic please?

Re: factory & aftermarket seam sealer removal [Re: elitecustombody] #1010777
06/14/11 07:02 PM
06/14/11 07:02 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

I wasn't aware that this thread was about impressing you. Last time I checked ,someone needed help or advice on removal of seam sealer.Your condescending attitude makes you look like one arrogant tool.

I offered a method. You didn't agree with it, so you offered up a smart remark in reference to my suggestion.

I then followed up with an explanation of how I accomplish the blasting without having to "scoop and chase sand out of a car for days" as you said, and how simple and cheaply it can be done.

That evidently put you over the edge. Read over all of your responses and see if you can deny that you are being the tool. And you accuse me of being argumentative, condescending and arrogant? Because I called your Toyota a Honda? You are too easy. Just how old are you? Really, how old?

BTW, you still haven't answered part 2 of the O.P.'s question regarding using a solvent. So please direct your energies towards him and answer his question, since no one else can do that properly.

Meanwhile, more popcorn please.