Dakota_Don Offline OP
master
Dakota_Don  Offline OP
master
D

Alton, IL
hi all, I searched the archives and came up with nothing,
But i am sure this has been asked alot,

if i use a chrome box or FBO box with a MSD blaster 2 coil, do i need a ballast?

Msd said NO, and according to the wiring diagram the ECU module gets 12V in the ON position, but the coil gets 12v at start and a lower V on the run position. Now if I use a coil (MSD) that can run 12V continuous, can I bypass the ballast? The only wire I see that goes from the coil to the ECU is on the NEG side of the COIL(blk with yellow tracer), The pos side of the coil gets the keyed (start or run) voltage. ..

does the ballast control the NEG side as well? please look the wiring diagram.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/3.html

Moparts Tech Archive
Elec Topics
Awesome ECU wiring diagram

Moparts Tech Archive
Elec Topics

Moparts Tech Archive
Elec Topics

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100268
08/05/08 05:34 PM
08/05/08 05:34 PM
Alton, IL
D
Dakota_Don Offline OP
master
Dakota_Don  Offline OP
master
D

Alton, IL
ecu

4600106-moparecu.jpg (1552 downloads)
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100269
08/05/08 05:40 PM
08/05/08 05:40 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Nice diagram! I always wondered, What is that unused Green wire for?

Tav

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: cataclysm80] #100270
08/05/08 06:59 PM
08/05/08 06:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Nice diagram! I always wondered, What is that unused Green wire for?

Tav

If you find an original diagram, the OEM Mopar istallations used a dual (4 post) ballast

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? #100271
08/05/08 07:10 PM
08/05/08 07:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would you post a link to the MSD page where you decided "MSD says no?"

The way I read it, you DO need a ballast with stock type ignitons:

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_1_8200_8202_8223.htm

A partial quote from that page:

"Most late model vehicles with electronic ignitions do not require a ballast resistor, check your ignition and manufacturers specifications to determine if a ballast is required in your application"

What that says to me is that GM HEI, for example doesn't use a ballast, but since OEM Mopars DO, then you should use a ballast.

One thing you need to remember about the difference between an OEM ECU and an MSD, is that the MSD is a completely different breed of cat. Where your stock OEM type ECU merely replaces the points, and still switches the same circuit that the points used to (battery-key-ballaste-coil-switch to ground) the MSD box is COMPLETELY different. It supplies pulses of energy generated in the box---"discharge" is the word, the older systems were "capacitive" discharge, and worked sortof like a photo flash--a great big cap charged up and then was discharged into the coil, MSD uses an inductor I believe. The POINT is that an MSD box DOES NOT run DC (12V) through the coil, only a spark pulse.

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100272
08/05/08 07:12 PM
08/05/08 07:12 PM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Quote:

hi all, I searched the archives and came up with nothing,
But i am sure this has been asked alot,

if i use a chrome box or FBO box with a MSD blaster 2 coil, do i need a ballast?

Msd said NO, and according to the wiring diagram the ECU module gets 12V in the ON position, but the coil gets 12v at start and a lower V on the run position. Now if I use a coil (MSD) that can run 12V continuous, can I bypass the ballast? The only wire I see that goes from the coil to the ECU is on the NEG side of the COIL(blk with yellow tracer), The pos side of the coil gets the keyed (start or run) voltage. ..

does the ballast control the NEG side as well? please look the wiring diagram.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/3.html

A Blaster 2 coil requires a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor when its not being used with a CD type ignition. Its right there at the top of the first page of the Blaster 2 installation instructions. If someone from MSD told you otherwise I am very sure you got bad.

A ballast resistor by definition is a resistor that varies its resistance with temperature. The hotter it gets the higher the resistance. The reason for the ballast being in the circuit is if the coil was designed to provide adequate output at high rpms when there is less time for the current flowing through the primaries to saturate the secondary windings it will over heat due to to much current flowing at lower rpms. This was a real issue with points where the key could be left on without the engine running and the points were closed. The ballast resistor will heat up at low rpms thus limiting the current through the coil protecting it from over heating.

If you measure the voltage on the + side of the coil at idle it will be in the 6-8 volt range. If you were to rev the engine up to 4000 rpm you will likely see 7-10 volts.

FWIW, FBO sells the MSD .8 ohm ballast resistor for use with there coil and ecu.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? #100273
08/05/08 07:54 PM
08/05/08 07:54 PM
Alton, IL
D
Dakota_Don Offline OP
master
Dakota_Don  Offline OP
master
D

Alton, IL
Quote:

"Most late model vehicles with electronic ignitions do not require a ballast resistor, check your ignition and manufacturers specifications to determine if a ballast is required in your application"

What that says to me is that GM HEI, for example doesn't use a ballast, but since OEM Mopars DO, then you should use a ballast.

One thing you need to remember about the difference between an OEM ECU and an MSD, is that the MSD is a completely different breed of cat. Where your stock OEM type ECU merely replaces the points, and still switches the same circuit that the points used to (battery-key-ballaste-coil-switch to ground) the MSD box is COMPLETELY different. It supplies pulses of energy generated in the box---"discharge" is the word, the older systems were "capacitive" discharge, and worked sortof like a photo flash--a great big cap charged up and then was discharged into the coil, MSD uses an inductor I believe. The POINT is that an MSD box DOES NOT run DC (12V) through the coil, only a spark pulse.

no need to post a link cuz i called them, the original directions for the msd blaster 2 coil show a ballast with points only.. so i then called the tech line. I then asked the tech if i needed a ballast with electronic ign, i also told them my ignition had thier MSD blaster 2 coil and a performance ECU unit.. he then said very quickly NO you do not need a ballast with our coil for your set up.

then hung up the phone, so thats why i needed to ask the Mopar gurus..

maybe he thought i had a GM

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100274
08/05/08 08:01 PM
08/05/08 08:01 PM
Alton, IL
D
Dakota_Don Offline OP
master
Dakota_Don  Offline OP
master
D

Alton, IL
I have the ballast hooked up at the moment.. if the ballast reduces the voltage, then it must pass thru -neg side of the coil? (trigger) the drawing shows the ecu gets 12v when running but if the ballast only reduced the Voltage for the coil then why use it if one can use a coil that can work with out it.. more voltage = more spark right?, but i also do not want to burn up the ECU, I have the Mopar chrome box as well as an FBO unit, I have the MSD ballast MSDblaster 2 coilas well and different Ballasts ect.. im just currious why its needed, and why ma mopar didnt build a system then bypassed the ballast

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100275
08/05/08 08:11 PM
08/05/08 08:11 PM
Alton, IL
D
Dakota_Don Offline OP
master
Dakota_Don  Offline OP
master
D

Alton, IL
sorry guess i am just trying to under stand how and why the ballast was used as well as how the electronic ign works..

I want to understand more of this system, not just swap parts because so and so told me to..

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100276
08/05/08 08:42 PM
08/05/08 08:42 PM
COLLINGWOOD, ONT
71_deputy Offline
mopar
71_deputy  Offline
mopar

COLLINGWOOD, ONT
I have the MS 2 coil and run with the stock ballast- but the .8 ohm one is the one you need!!!!

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100277
08/05/08 09:01 PM
08/05/08 09:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

aint it ceramic? is it a heat sink?use it unless you just dont like it or think its gonna lower your performace.maybe replace with a fuseable link.

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100278
08/05/08 09:31 PM
08/05/08 09:31 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Don at FBO just sent me this one. EDIT (the bottom one)

4600540-ballasts.jpg (281 downloads)
Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/06/08 08:17 AM.
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100279
08/06/08 01:40 AM
08/06/08 01:40 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

I have the ballast hooked up at the moment.. if the ballast reduces the voltage, then it must pass thru -neg side of the coil? (trigger) the drawing shows the ecu gets 12v when running but if the ballast only reduced the Voltage for the coil then why use it if one can use a coil that can work with out it.. more voltage = more spark right?, but i also do not want to burn up the ECU, I have the Mopar chrome box as well as an FBO unit, I have the MSD ballast MSDblaster 2 coilas well and different Ballasts ect.. im just currious why its needed, and why ma mopar didnt build a system then bypassed the ballast

The ECU is an electronic control unit and the 12 volt wire to it is to power up the ECU only. It then has 2 wires from the dist pick-up (trigger unit) to tell it when to fire the coil. The last wire is from the coil - side and it is grounded at the ECU. Thats how the ECU fires the coil by controlling it's ground side. It will ground and unground the coil. It open's the ground to fire the coil as the coil primary winding will collasp and induce high voltage in the secondary winding when the coil circuit is opened by the ECU turning off the coil ground.
The ballast is used to reduce the current flow thru the coil as Mopar designed it to work on 6 to 8 volts as that gives enough current flow for a strong enough spark on that ign system. The ballast keeps the coil from overheating and burning out as it was made to run like that on the 6 to 8 volts as 12 volts all the time would burn out the coil or ECU. It does give 12 volts to the coil on cranking only to help it start easier as the ign switch has an ign 2 terminal that sends the 12 volts to the coil while cranking only as it bypasses the ballast while cranking.
Most people dont know but Ford and GM used lower volts to the coil on their point ign systems in the 60's and early 70's. They used a resistance wire in the wire harness to do the same thing the ballast does on Mopars. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 08/06/08 01:42 AM.
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: RapidRobert] #100280
08/06/08 06:58 AM
08/06/08 06:58 AM
Baltimore, MD
M
MadMax58 Offline
MadMax58  Offline
M

Baltimore, MD
Quote:

Don at FBO just sent me this one.

According to Jegs the P2444641 is to be used for race only.

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: MadMax58] #100281
08/06/08 07:26 AM
08/06/08 07:26 AM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Running without a ballast resistor may not hurt the MSD coil but what does it do to the transistor in your ECU? MSD could care less if you fry your NON MSD box. In fact they would prefer that you buy theirs.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: MadMax58] #100282
08/06/08 08:59 AM
08/06/08 08:59 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Don at FBO just sent me this one.

According to Jegs the P2444641 is to be used for race only.

MadMax thank you,I had forgotten what the app was for the MP one. IIRC it was .25 ohm.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100283
08/06/08 11:42 AM
08/06/08 11:42 AM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

no need to post a link cuz i called them, the original directions for the msd blaster 2 coil show a ballast with points only.. so i then called the tech line. I then asked the tech if i needed a ballast with electronic ign, i also told them my ignition had thier MSD blaster 2 coil and a performance ECU unit.. he then said very quickly NO you do not need a ballast with our coil for your set up.

then hung up the phone, so thats why i needed to ask the Mopar gurus..

maybe he thought i had a GM

First off the reference to late model igntions is just that. The mopar electronic igntion you are working with is a first generation electronic ignition and is certainly not late model.

Being that it is first generation all the module does is replace the mechnical switch (points) with an electronic switch. The perfromance modules that are sold by mopar performance and I am assuming since the packaging is the same by FBO don't alter the basic function, they just operate fast enough to support much higher rpms than a stock module. They will also be able to handle more current without over heating and failing. But the primary reason for a ballast resistor is to protect the coil.

The installation instructions on page 2 figure 2 is for stock points ignitions and the figure shows wiring going to "Points or Amplifier Trigger". Mopar folks may not be used to the term Amplifier Trigger but what they are talking about is an electronic igntion control box. The instructions also stat that the Ballast is required with a Mallory Unilte distributor which is a distributor with the electronic igntion control built in.

As far as MSD's tech support is concerned I have called them twice and it was very obvious the folks that answer the phone don't now much about the products that are supposed to support and I was given misleading info regarding a specific question and the answer was different on each call. I was also trying to help out another person on a forum that actually was given out right incorrect info. So if tech support says one thing and the installation instruction say something else, I will go with the instructions every time. In my 30+ years as an engineer its my experience that instructions are at least reviewed by the engineers that are reponsible for the product where as sales info is not and tech support is taught by folks that may be experts in one product but not in others.

You can run the Blaster 2 without a ballast resistor and it will quite likely last for quite awile. But you are over stressing it and statistically the failure rate will be higher than if run with a ballast resistor.

The other thing you have to remember is that in an inductive igntion system the voltage required to generate the spark is seldom anywhere near the level the coil can produce. In a stock or near stock engine that is in a good state of tune the voltage level will be on the order od 15-20,000 volts and where the coil can produce at 30k level or a 45k level it won't. The only time a perfromance coil will help you is in a highly modified engine where a higher voltage level is required to make a spark and at high rpms when the output of all coils will go down and the perfromance coil may still have the capacity to reliabily generate a spark.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: dgc333] #100284
08/06/08 02:14 PM
08/06/08 02:14 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

Being that it is first generation all the module does is replace the mechnical switch (points) with an electronic switch. The perfromance modules that are sold by mopar performance and I am assuming since the packaging is the same by FBO don't alter the basic function, they just operate fast enough to support much higher rpms than a stock module. They will also be able to handle more current without over heating and failing. But the primary reason for a ballast resistor is to protect the coil.

Quoted from MSD's Tech Support forum.
Quote:

The ballast resistor is used in the stock systems to protect the points and early electronic ignition (non-current limiting) systems from burning out prematurely

The techs on their forum have stated many times that the Blaster 2 coil does not need the protection of a ballast resistor but points and early electronic ignitions do need one to keep from burning up. It sounds like you are saying that this is incorrect. I have read from other sources(wish I could find a link) that if the primary resistance of the coil + the resistance of the ballast resistor is less than 1.4 ohms the transister in the Mopar ECU will overheat and it's life will be adversely affected. Less than 1.4 ohms(total) will make the coil put out a higher secondary voltage (stronger spark) but damage the ECU. More than 1.4 ohms(total) will be easier on the ECU but reduce the coil secondary voltage. More than 3 ohms(total) may not make a strong enough spark for the engine to even start and run. Between 1.5 and 2 ohms(total) seems to be the target. Not coincidentaly, MSD's Blaster 2 coil is .7 ohms and they recommend a .8 ohm resistor. Adds up to 1.5 ohms. The 1 ohm resistor that MP sells will also work fine. The .25 ohm resistor that MP sells was intended to be used with a special Accel coil. They recommended not running this combo for more than 20 minutes at less than 4000 rpm. I have one at home and will measure the primary resistance when I get home tonight. I would not be surprised if it is over 1 ohm.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: GomangoCuda] #100285
08/06/08 05:12 PM
08/06/08 05:12 PM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass

"The ballast resistor is used in the stock systems to protect the points and early electronic ignition (non-current limiting) systems from burning out prematurely"

The issue with this statement is that the actual points have much more current carrying capacity than the rest of the wiring between the points and the coil, the coil and ballast and ballast and the fuse panel. So you would be melting wiring in your system before you would burn up points from current flow. When the points open an arc will be created that will burn up the contacts, but, its the job of the condensor (which is a capacitor) to absorb the surge until the gap is to wide for an arc to form.

There may be some truth to excessive current flowing through the transistor of the ECU burning it out. But a stock coil has a primary resistance of around 1.5 ohms which would equate to about 9 amps of current flow through the switching transistor with no ballast resistor. A Blaster has a primary resistance of .7 Ohms which would mean 20 amps with no ballast resistor so that could be an issue. Add the recomended ballast to a Blaster 2 you are back to 1.5 ohms and 9 amps.

But you have to remember that a ballast resistor changes its resistance with heat so that as current flows through it the resistance will go up further limiting the current flow through the coil. The reason for using a ballast verse a straight power resistor is this variability allows the current to be limited at low rpms where there is adequate time between firings to saturate the secondary windings coil and boost the current flow at higher rpms to make up for the lack of time between firings to saturate the coil.

Re: ignition/coil/ballast questions?? [Re: Dakota_Don] #100286
08/07/08 07:18 PM
08/07/08 07:18 PM
Alton, IL
D
Dakota_Don Offline OP
master
Dakota_Don  Offline OP
master
D

Alton, IL
thanks for the info,