05/30/11 06:41 AM
05/30/11 06:41 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Living in the land o' emissions testing, passing the local 'Air-Care' is always a concern here when building an engine. Racers have found some ingenious ways past or through the testing with their big-cammed cars, but it usually involves a lot ov tuning, and often expensive re-testing, and re-re-testing, and re-re-re-testing, and so-on. Some guys never get through it and end up running on the 3-month pass (you get only once), or daily permits, or swapping in 'Air-Care cams' or sometimes even swapping in 'Air-care engines' to pass the test.

I've never had a car with a big enough cam to worry about this, but the engine i am planning now will definitely have trouble here.

I was wondering if you could just swap on an 'Air-Care exhaust system'... with a couple cats, that would make enough ov a difference to pass the test with a fairly serious cam. My Challenger's exhaust will be a T/A style exhaust, and unbolts in one piece. My 72 Charger has the same style exhaust and it takes me minutes to get it out and back into place... so this would be no big deal... not unlike the Mustang guys with their stock 6-cat head-pipes and the off-road ones they bolt back on after emissions.

Is it that easy...??? Would a couple cats on a simple X-pipe system in place ov mufflers help an old car pass the test. Why wouldn't others do this...???

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1002653
05/30/11 09:43 AM
05/30/11 09:43 AM
florida
74fldart Offline
enthusiast
74fldart  Offline
enthusiast

florida
they would definately help but to work right you would need to add the air pump and the plumbing to each cat.
i think that most people dont run them because they arent being forced to pass emissions testing plus the cost can get high.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: 74fldart] #1002654
05/30/11 10:15 AM
05/30/11 10:15 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

they would definately help but to work right you would need to add the air pump and the plumbing to each cat.
i think that most people dont run them because they arent being forced to pass emissions testing plus the cost can get high.

Air pump? My girl's 96 GT has no such attachment? To remove the stock headpipes you only have to unplug the O2 sensors... which have nothing to do with the cats.

If this is a viable solution i'm going to find a pair ov used cats and build myself an 'Air-Care exhaust'.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1002655
05/30/11 10:40 AM
05/30/11 10:40 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Living in the land o' emissions testing, passing the local 'Air-Care' is always a concern here when building an engine. Racers have found some ingenious ways past or through the testing with their big-cammed cars, but it usually involves a lot ov tuning, and often expensive re-testing, and re-re-testing, and re-re-re-testing, and so-on. Some guys never get through it and end up running on the 3-month pass (you get only once), or daily permits, or swapping in 'Air-Care cams' or sometimes even swapping in 'Air-care engines' to pass the test.

A less expensive option- I saw in the speedway catalog they make 1.3 ratio rockers for use during cam break in.

Seeing that these are roller rockers I suspect that people use them for longer periods of time than cam break in.

Know what I mean? 1.3 ratio rockers would really take the starch out of some motors that are running 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers (as is my case)

An example would be a cam ground for 500 lift with 1.7 rockers would drop to a 382 lift cam. I'm not sure how to calculate the duration with rocker changes but that would drop as well to some degree.

;-)

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: gdonovan] #1002656
05/30/11 11:15 AM
05/30/11 11:15 AM
Maryland
GO_Fish Offline
master
GO_Fish  Offline
master

Maryland
Quote:

A less expensive option- I saw in the speedway catalog they make 1.3 ratio rockers for use during cam break in.

Seeing that these are roller rockers I suspect that people use them for longer periods of time than cam break in.

Know what I mean? 1.3 ratio rockers would really take the starch out of some motors that are running 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers (as is my case)

An example would be a cam ground for 500 lift with 1.7 rockers would drop to a 382 lift cam. I'm not sure how to calculate the duration with rocker changes but that would drop as well to some degree.

;-)

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me. And maybe also a smaller carb tuned lean for the test.

Cats are primarily there to lower your NOx readings. NOx values may well be a concern, but probably a bigger source of failed tests on a hot engine would be high CO readings for unburnt fuel. The lower lift rockers and a smaller Air-Care test carb should help get CO numbers down.

And possibly you'd need both ideas if both NOx and CO values fail.

Side note, Cats probably wouldn't live too long downstream from a big cam. If you ran them regularly, I'd think they'd get fouled and become expensive paper weights.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph
Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: gdonovan] #1002657
05/30/11 11:19 AM
05/30/11 11:19 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
More modern cats do not need air pumps. However, they are usually behind a computer controlled, fuel injected engine that is tuned to use cats.

Adding a cat to a vehicle that never had them is a potential fire hazard. Cats make lots of heat burning off residual hydrocarbons. Without proper heat shielding you can start a fire. Also, lumpy cammed fuel rich exhaust will aggravate the situation.

Probably be better to get an air care motor and swap it in for the test.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1002658
05/30/11 12:05 PM
05/30/11 12:05 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
All cats are designed to work in a fairly narrow A/F ratio. They will most likely get really hot and cause a fire and/or melt down.
With precise a/f controls, quench and good combustion chambers you can make a lot of power and stay clean, without all that- not so much.
Remember cars had 2way (hc/co) cats in '75 the 3 way (hc/co/ noX) popped up early-mid 80's.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Skeptic] #1002659
05/30/11 12:22 PM
05/30/11 12:22 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I don't know what your testing is like. Is there no visual, just tailpipe?
As said, cats require a fairly specific exhaust to live. Too much raw fuel (cam overlap) will cause meltdown.
Look into roller cams. I tested an Olds many years ago that the owner confided after the test had a 580 cam in it, but it was a short duration.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: RodStRace] #1002660
05/30/11 08:06 PM
05/30/11 08:06 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Hmmm... I knew there had to be a catch somewhere...

Still, i think i should clarify a few points.

First, buying special rockers is NOT going to be a cheaper option than building a special exhaust. I have boxes ov pipe to weld up and only need to find a pair ov cats which wont cost me anything. There are racers here who were doing that (rockers) years ago with some success, but i have no idea how well it worked.

Second, this exhaust system would be on the car approximately 20-30 minutes. Just long enough to drive to the testing station, test, then home. There would be no driving around on the cats for any real time. As for heat-shielding, that could be fabbed up easy enough, plus, the car doesn't have a carpet or anything under the floor anyways.

I am NOT interested in buying a emissions-friendly performance cam. Thats defeating the whole point.

I'm also not interested in swapping in a small cam for the test... probably be easier to swap in an engine in my car (which i'd rather not have to do either). I doubt swapping on a small carb would make enough ov a difference. My friend had a specially tuned Holley 660 Street Avenger on his small-cammed 440 and it still failed a couple times.

As for the visual, they do those on cars that had cats from the factory... so the older cars dont get a check (no cats on any 70-72 cars). Even if they did, they'd see cats instead ov mufflers and be happy. No one is going to assume i'm swapping exhausts. Plus, 90% ov the employees there dont really care. Everyone knows how much ov a scam Air-Care is here...

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1002661
05/30/11 08:22 PM
05/30/11 08:22 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Aftermarket cats found in Summit etc. without the air tube can be spliced in with typical header flanges. They will work just fine for a swap-in, test, and swap back out situation on an old car. The closer to the front the better they work, but they do build a ton of heat so having an air gap off the floorboard would be wise.

Non-air tube and air pump cats require a brief drive around town before the test to ensure they are functioning.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Neil] #1002662
05/30/11 09:57 PM
05/30/11 09:57 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
I would suggest you go talk to the racers you refer to as having done this already because they have experience and might be able to save you some time and cash. By the way it's spelled OF not ov.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: stumpy] #1002663
05/30/11 10:14 PM
05/30/11 10:14 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I had a 76 Camaro that had a catalytic converter with NO air pump.
I like Pale Roaders ideas... Twin low restriction Cats, some careful carb tuning, a closed element air cleaner assembly..... maybe even mix in some white lantern fuel with the mid grade fuel to clean things up as well!

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Kern Dog] #1002664
05/31/11 12:48 AM
05/31/11 12:48 AM
Nampa, ID
None2Slow Offline
mopar
None2Slow  Offline
mopar

Nampa, ID
When you test, you want the LOWEST octane fuel you can get. Around here we have 85 up to 93 at the pumps. The lower the octane, the easier it is to "lite off". This results in a more complete burn. Also, you will need to shield anything under the car from the heat that those cats will put off. Maybe run an exhaust dump system with mufflers in 1 set to drive there and just before you pull up, switch over to the cats and run them for the last 5 miles or so. The hotter they are (to a point) the better they work. If you have any undercoating or anything that can possibly burn, it will do so. Most cars that have cats had a shield on the cats as well as welded to the underside of the floor. Most cars will pass with new cats installed no matter how bad it is. No telling how long they will last.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: stumpy] #1002665
05/31/11 01:59 AM
05/31/11 01:59 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan 483...
daniel_depetro Offline
pro stock
daniel_depetro  Offline
pro stock

Sterling Heights, Michigan 483...
Quote:

By the way it's spelled OF not ov.

I don't usually care about grammar or spelling on these forums, however "of" is such a commonly used word. Combined with the fact that I just finished reading another post of yours where it also drove me crazy was just too much.
It stuck me kind of odd because your postings that I viewed seem to be well written/easy to read.

1969 Dodge Super Bee A12 (440 Six Pack, 4-speed, Dana 60 4.10)

1972 Plymouth Road Runner (400, 4-speed, 8.75" 3.23)

1974 Plymouth Duster 360 (360, 4-speed, 8.75" 3.23)
Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: None2Slow] #1002666
05/31/11 06:09 AM
05/31/11 06:09 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

When you test, you want the LOWEST octane fuel you can get. Around here we have 85 up to 93 at the pumps. The lower the octane, the easier it is to "lite off". This results in a more complete burn. Also, you will need to shield anything under the car from the heat that those cats will put off. Maybe run an exhaust dump system with mufflers in 1 set to drive there and just before you pull up, switch over to the cats and run them for the last 5 miles or so. The hotter they are (to a point) the better they work. If you have any undercoating or anything that can possibly burn, it will do so. Most cars that have cats had a shield on the cats as well as welded to the underside of the floor. Most cars will pass with new cats installed no matter how bad it is. No telling how long they will last.

I was under the impression that better gas was cleaner than cheaper gas. Come testing day i always run the tank pretty much dry then fill it with Chevron 94. Helps that my car likes the octane better i suppose. Even at the pumps they say the better gas is cleaner... but i suppose oil companies would never lie to us to make a buck...

As for the heat issue, i haven't built the exhaust yet, i can have it hang 4" from the floor if i want... its not gonna be driven on, so the pipe/cat routine can be pretty far away from the floor. I wouldn't have thought heat would be that much ov an issue... but it seems unanimous, so i'll plan around that.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: stumpy] #1002667
05/31/11 06:11 AM
05/31/11 06:11 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

I would suggest you go talk to the racers you refer to as having done this already because they have experience and might be able to save you some time and cash. By the way it's spelled OF not ov.

Well, that was some time ago... different circles now, but i remember those conversations. It was more theory/experimentation back then, and i suppose if the racing had continued unabated (it got broken up) we'd have seen even more ingenious emissions solutions.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Kern Dog] #1002668
05/31/11 06:13 AM
05/31/11 06:13 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

I had a 76 Camaro that had a catalytic converter with NO air pump.
I like Pale Roaders ideas... Twin low restriction Cats, some careful carb tuning, a closed element air cleaner assembly..... maybe even mix in some white lantern fuel with the mid grade fuel to clean things up as well!

Why would a closed-element air cleaner help with emissions? I just run a stub-stack (no cleaner at all) on my car.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: daniel_depetro] #1002669
05/31/11 06:18 AM
05/31/11 06:18 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

By the way it's spelled OF not ov.

I don't usually care about grammar or spelling on these forums, however "of" is such a commonly used word. Combined with the fact that I just finished reading another post of yours where it also drove me crazy was just too much.
It stuck me kind of odd because your postings that I viewed seem to be well written/easy to read.

'To' is an even more common word... When people here learn to spell 'your' or 'there' or 'distributor' or 'Challenger' i'll learn to spell 'ov'. Why is this such a big deal...??? Its not like i spell anything else wrong...

Just bump your 'crazy' threshold up a notch and we'll all be happy.

I would think my horrible punctuation would be more annoying to grammar-nazis...

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1002670
05/31/11 06:20 AM
05/31/11 06:20 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Here in CA we have the strictest Smog laws in the Country. EVERYTHING has to match. I forgot that your jurisdiction does NOT require a visual inspection.... My mistake on that one.
Care to address the "OV" spelling? Is that a regional thing? I'd certainly agree that in traditional English, YOUR spelling is phonetically better.

Re: Putting catalytic converters on old cars...??? [Re: Kern Dog] #1002671
05/31/11 06:31 AM
05/31/11 06:31 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Here in CA we have the strictest Smog laws in the Country. EVERYTHING has to match. I forgot that your jurisdiction does NOT require a visual inspection.... My mistake on that one.
Care to address the "OV" spelling? Is that a regional thing? I'd certainly agree that in traditional English, YOUR spelling is phonetically better.

Oh yeah, though BC would love to meet California standards i doubt it will ever happen. There was a vote this year after however long its been (12-15 years...???) to renew Air-Care's contract or scrap it and they only VERY narrowly passed it back in. They dont believe any more than the rest ov us that it works, they just cant pass up the ludicrous cash-grab it is... especially seeing how utterly corrupt and wasteful our provincial government is.

No... we are nowhere as nazi as California is. Just Air-Care, which is probably on the more lax end ov allowances, and thats it. No vehicle inspections, no visuals on emissions unless your car is new enough to have cats. These days you go in with an old car and they have no idea what to make ov it. The last time i drove my 68 Caddy hearse through the new guy was going front to back with the under-chassis mirror trying to find the cats...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3