Quote:

Seemed to dry out my rubber lines very quickly & the dye in the fuel would tint the rear of the car

If it's "tint" the back of your car, then the tuneup is off.
I have to disagree...
To the contrary actually.

I have been selling at my business and using race fuel since 1984.
I used to run straight race gas in my street cars for many years, like 15.
Myself and freinds have run it straight in our 2 stroke dirts bikes, straight in jet skis, chain saws, weed eaters and many different gensets straight. So I swear to you too much octane and lead ain't gonna hurt any kind of engine(non computer). Sure it might hurt your wallet, but not your engine.
You don't want to run leaded fuel in a engine that uses O2 sensors, we sell a 100 or 104 octane unleaded for those engines.

Now the great thing about race gas, is that it has stabilizers and other additives that help for it to last a long time, drasticly different than pump gas, exspecially ethanol gas.
The reason I speak up is because it's wonderful stuff to store your car with. I store gensets with it and they ALWAYS start.
I parked my 360 74 challenger in my garage running in 1987 with straight 110 Turbo Blue which is a leaded race gas. I started that car about every 6 months or so, sometimes longer other times shorter until 2003. I swear, The car never moved or left the garage, I remember adding Turbo blue in 5 gal jugs during that time. It never failed to start.
Today I drive that car a lot with the same fuel tank, same edlebrock carb, same fuel pump, same stock original steel fuel lines.
That gas helps things like your fuel pump last and my rubber fuel lines have never suffered. Rubber hoses, carbs, valves, pistons all LOVE lead and racing gas has lead, just like the good old days.

So that's my take on it fron 25 years of selling and using leaded race gas.

Some guys didn't like smelling my dirt bike in the woods behind me, I told them then try to get in front of me? Eventually they would be running it and keeping up!

Seriously after a few years when prices starting climbing we cut back to 50/50 mix in our sport machines and muscle cars.
And I have run many gallons of ethanol gas from the pump while we are out of town with the car driving it in extreme conditions, all with the same fuel system that was subject to 100% race gas for over 15 years.
Drove it to the top of Pikes Peak 2 years ago, it made it to the top with no problem with unleaded 92 gas in the tank.