Quote:

Quote:

I appreciate the kind words. But there are lots of guys who can do same things I do...10.0's out of a SB these days is not that difficult in typical A body.

Depending on vehicle weight & efficiency you'll need to be in the low 600's HP wise to get there in a typical bracket setup. The car has alot to do with the ET. I've had 610 HP motors run in the 9.70's @ 3100 LBS & I've had 675 HP motors off same dyno run 9.80's @ 3200 LBS... you can figure out which chassis setup/coverter etc worked better. HP is'nt everything when it comes to building a quick car.

Thanks for the info, could you do it using a 360/380 hp magnum crate motor with the iron heads ?

Not with the pistons/rods that came in the Crate motor. You probably could for a few passes, but I would'nt build it with those parts.

Last crate motor I worked on had piston to valve clearance issues with a mild hyd roller. That was a 10.60 piece & that was about as far as I'd want to push a 380 crate.

There is a difference between guy in their garage going & taking 360 Crate & slamming some big heads on it & running fast for couple passes & a reputable shop that has to build the thing & make it live for 400+ passes etc & put their reputation on it surviving. Anything that comes through the door with stock rods or Eagle SIR's does not leave my hands without a rod upgrade. I just can't half ass stuff like that, it's not worth the job. But you'll get guys who will tell you, sure, throw a set of W2/5/INDY's on it & a big cam & you'll have a 10.0 piece... But I would'nt do it.

The only part I'd use from the 380 crate for a reliable 10.0 3100+ LB A body would be the 360 block.

Now if your car is 2500 LBS that is whole different story.