Quote:

Quote:

I would replace the housing ends and run custom axles with Green wheel bearings.

So is there stuff to upgrade your 9 1/4 so it can handle 700 hp or are you better off going to a Dana.

I'm sure there are some drive train experts on this sight that can shed some light on your question, but in my opinion: If there is a weak link with the 9 1/4, I would say it is the "C" clip axle retention system. The diff itself is plenty stout to handle 700HP and well beyond. Definitely stronger than the 8 3/4 in every respect. Problem is it came mostly in truck applications. Early muscle cars came with the 8 3/4 or the Dana 60, so most up grade / after market stuff was directed towards those 2 axles. Although you can now buy gears up to at least 4.56:1 for the 9 1/4, no one makes a spool for it yet and it appears no "C" clip eliminator kits - you have to have something special made? My car, like many late B body cars, came with the 9 1/4. Way overkill for the HP these cars were making from the factory. They may eventually be utilized more in the drag racing arena, simply because they are plentifull, cheap, and strong enough to handle some HP.

6491210-caltrac9.jpg (198 downloads)

Fastest 300