Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You could just go find some closed chamber 516 or the even better 915 head if you're looking to keep your project cheap.

Fixed. Just in case anyone comes researching thru this thread at a later date...

Well i'll be humdinger...whoops! my bad. I am glad you caught that!

I fixed my post too, but yes kb 162's some meat off of the block, and worked 516's with a decent cam will get you 400 hp which is what the OP is after. I also receomend a full point more if going to edelbrock in which case different pistons are the better route.

Holy doorstops Batman!! There's still a use for them old 516's!?!?!?

I've asked the question on the Race forum before, got no definitive answer..................Which is better quench w/compression (516 closed chamber) or the marginally better airflow of an "no quench" open chamber head (906,902,346,452)??

I've got this same conundrum right now, or well, had it. I've decided that i'd rather have a crappier flowing head with quench for a nicer, more efficient engine than say, a possibly more powerful engine, thats less efficient, with an open chamber head and no quench. I'm still trying to figure out how far to go with porting my 516's. They dont quite port as well as the newer heads, but thats all i know. Never done a set. Until i can get a solid answer on that, i'll just clean 'em up a bit, big-valve the exhausts and shop for something better while i'm driving around on them.

And it must be just me, as i've seen no one else comment on this, but am i the only one here that has a problem with the whole quench pad idea? I understand the idea, and the need, and the lack ov better options, but it just seems so hokey to me. I'm not a fan ov domes on pistons either generally. From what i've seen, a cheap newer brand (Probe, Diamond, Ross) forged piston isn't that much more than a KB (at least where i live), and to move a pin (compression height) on a set ov pistons doesn't add that much more to the cost. I'd pay $200 more for pistons to get the true zero deck, even if it did mean i'd be stuck with 516's for a while.