Quote:

Quote:

Some trivia...

> When the "bulged 1/4 panel" A-body came out in 1970 (Duster), the engineers wanted a wider axle housing. Bean counters quashed it. Everybody commented on how "lost" the rubber looked on 1970 Dusters (rear).

> Then, in 1973, when the 4.5" BC / slider brakes (wider track setup) came out, the Duster / Dart Sport looked so silly (stock) with front wheelhouses looking "full" and the rears "empty", that there was actually a TSB telling service managers that this visual effect was normal. Which it was.

Comments above, re: basic body dimensions and suspension components unchanged 1967-'73, are 100% correct.

Rick

Sounds like a 68-70 B body rear would be right at home under one ?

Not that they are really available around here, but the later (VH-onwards) Aussie diff was a tad wider than the earlier ones. I don't have the specs off the top of my head, but I would say about a 1/2" or abit more per side.

My last VG (now 68hemiB's) had a later diff in it, and a factory steel wheel just made the tire about rub the 1/4 panel...
Since the later cars were rounded compared to the earlier cars (sort of like what happened here) they actually did go with a wider diff there though.

6521875-020(2).JPG (274 downloads)