Written by Bobby Bennett Tuesday, 25 January 2011 15:00

Ashley Force Hood announced during a press conference Tuesday she and husband Danny Hood are expecting a child this summer. As a result, the top name NHRA Funny Car driver will sit out the 2011 season.

Mike Neff will fill in as tuner/driver of the Force Hood car.

“This past November, after watching my dad clinch his 15th championship, Dan and I decided we would try to start a family,” said the 2007 NHRA Rookie of the Year. “We knew it was unlikely to happen in such a short amount of time and, if it didn’t, I could still race the 2011 season and we’d try again next winter.

“We felt that if God wanted it to happen, it would happen. Well, God didn’t waste any time and I am pregnant and due at the end of the summer. Dan and I know there is always a risk at the beginning of a pregnancy so we waited as long as possible to say anything to make sure everything was all right and there were no problems,” she said.

“I will be taking off this season, but I will still represent Castrol, Ford, Auto Club, BrandSource and Mac Tools; will still be involved in media, commercials and interviews; and will definitely still be rooting on my teammates to go after that 2011 Championship.”

Force Hood's crew chief, Dean Antonelli, will join Bernie Fedderly as the crew chief on the defending world champion John Force's Castrol High Mileage Funny Car.

Force Hood also will spend time coaching youngest sister Courtney, who this year will be testing a BrandSource Ford Funny Car in anticipation of an eventual pro debut.