Quote:

I drove my cuda for the first time yesterday with no miles on it. It seems I am getting a steady miss or surge. It almost feels like I am driving into an eighty mile per hour wind. I moved the timing from 10*BTDC to 6*BTDC to see if that will help but have not had a chance to test drive. Does anyone have an idea as to what may be wrong. Everything on this car is brand new, less than forty miles.

Wow, I had the same problem with the Hemi in my Roadrunner. i found it was a combination of things (took me a few MONTHS to figure it out). Today was the first day it was surge/miss free.

Too much advance
Too quick an advance curve
Transition circuit in the carb was too rich

The figuring out part sometimes takes a lot of experimenting. Heres my

Advance: Normally wedge motors like between 34-38 degrees total timing. As someone mentioned, try to run about 14-18 initial advance. The rest will be mechanical (vacuum unplugged). If you have a newer style MP distributor, the mechanical advance is adjustable. If it's the old style, you have to weld up the slots or get the kit from the guys at "four seconds flat".

The curve should be all in by 2600-3000 rpm. For a drag car than 1500-2000. Too quick a curve will cause missing/surging, pinging, etc. This is accomplished by changing the spring in the dizzy. Sometime it won't like the vacuum advance. If it's a newer MP dizzy, they are adjustable. You may need to leave it disconnected.

The last item is mixture. Since you have a six pak, you'll be messing with the middle carb. Set up the mixture screws using a vacuum gauge (highest vacuum). Take the carb off and look at the the slot near the throttle plates. Only about .020" of the slot should be showing once the idle speed is set.

Make sure the power valve is good and has the correct opening point. Read the highest vacuum at idle and go a couple of point lower.

Are the stock jets in the carb? If not, install the stock jets and try it again. You may need to go up and down a couple of sizes from stock to see if it has any effect.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by torkrules; 07/13/08 10:35 PM.