Quote:

when we did the engine we bored 30 over, went with a stock cam, used the original crank. I did nothing special tried to keep the engine original but not happy with the way it runs. It does not seem to miss or run funky on acceration and it also starts very easy. Are you guys saying I should set the timing with the vsacuum plugged at 16* BTDC

You want to put as much initial timing close to 20 degrees in it as it will take before it drags the starter while cranking. Do this at idle with the vacuum unplugged/blocked. What type of distributor are you running? Stock, mopar performance etc? Basically you want 36 degrees total advance using the initial + mechanical advance. You may have to modify your mechanical to limit it since stock timing was much less. Usually this must be done because of larger cams but also because gas is basically crap now compared to yesteryears.

Does it not seem to have any power? What are the symptoms exactly? Your mechanical timing may be off too. With a 440+6 you should be able to hammer it and break the tires loose easily.

I guess another question is did you break the cam in? I know this isn't stuff you want to hear but if you just started the car up on the initial startup and didn't let it run at 2500+ rpms and throttling it for 20+ minutes you may have damaged the cam. This could potentially wipe a cam lobe which would definitely make it run like that. You would also tend to notice it feeling like it was running on 7 cylinders though too.

'70 Duster - SDSS 436 W5 4spd (Gone)
'71 Dodge D100
'70 Dodge W100