I remember sitting in the pit side granstands at Fonatana Drag city in the summer of 1965 on a saturady evening watching top fuel cars qualify and race. Hot car staging and pits where at the far end of the pits, they would push start the cars on a narrow paved road to the starting line in front of the stands. The drivers would put the clutch in , let the push car get up to speed and then let the clutch out, as soon as the motor got oil pressure they would turn the mag and fuel on and let the motor start and run a short distance before psuhing the clutch in and rev the motor to clean it out. One night a lady was standing by the fence hanging over the fence by the starting line watching the fuelers push down and circle around to stage and race, the push road was probally less than 15 ft. wide where it went by her. One of the drivers wack the throttle right in her face and she passed out falling on the ground They ran those motor really fat so I don't know if it was the fumes, noise or sudden scare, but down on her butt she went, priceless I had to drive around a hundred miles to get there, gas was 23 cents a gallon and a new 1964 Dodge 330 with a street 426 4 speed costs $2764.00 out the door, I should have bought four of them but I couldn't I was working for the local phone company as a apprentice lineman making $1.76 a hour The California Minimumum wage was $1.00 an hour back then

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 12/17/10 04:19 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)