Quote:

Milling the heads .050" to get me to 74cc and then using the standard .039" head gasket would put me at 10.54:1 by my numbers. This would in effect be very close to .040" off the heads with a .027" head gasket...just a lot cheaper....right?

Yes it would have the same compression but you would be losing a .012 of Quench.

Quench is your friend to help resist detonation when you raise the comp closer to the threshold. Wicth is what your doing.

Id keep the .047 quench , shave the heads .050 and reuse the Cometics. Its been done several times here by members of this board.

Further on quench, its been once tested by a associate of Vizard. On a 350 ,450 hp motor each .010 tighter quench = a 7hp increase. With the Same comp.

Your 440 could see more then 7 HP per .010 or not. So why throw that posibilty away and increase your detonation risks at the same time.

The www.kb-silvolite.com , calc that I like to use over the Wallace calc gives 11.07 comp with 74cc .03 gasket and 4cc reliefs.

I know, I know, they are 7cc and your cometic is .027 thick. The above will need recalculated, but its ball park.

If you click on the above link, look for Calculaters. mike