On a '65 the "Alternator" gauge is wired directly to the Alternator. In the engine compartment at the bulkhead, check the connections of the lone black and red wires. They will be on a post style connectors between the Engine Harness plug and the Forward Lamp Harness plug. You may have some corrosion on these terminals which could be causing a short. Also check the Fuseable Link. Are you sure the Alternator is good? If you disconnected the red and black wire off the Alternator gauge it will not read. It is a separate gauge from the main cluster. These are just the basics. You should post your issue on a C Body specific forum such as:

www.cbodydrydock.com
or
www.moparfins.com

There are a lot of knowledgable guys on these boards that can help you with what I believe is a one or two year only wiring design. Both of these boards were a tremendous help in the restoration of my '65 300 'vert.

Good luck!

Last edited by rexus31; 11/02/10 12:01 PM.

2007 Dodge Charger R/T, Road and Track Performance Group, Steel Blue 1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383 4V, 727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red 1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red "What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield