Quote:

Bought a 78 new yorker for 600 bucks. 43,000 miles! old lady car. anyways when ill get pics ill post them

But i have a few questions

1.The car has the lean burn crap on it. and im getting this weird gargling/boiling sound coming from the carb.its a carter i believe.what could that sound be?i tuned it and its a little better still kinda bad though.

The 78 was the worst 440 ever built trying to meet the smog standards. It ran the poorest and generated the most heat. The carburetor has a phenolic base trying to prevent heat soak into the carburetor. What you are hearing is the the gas percolating. Also could be the water in the heads boiling and being trasmitted through the intake manifold plenums. You'll also see insulation under the valley pan that was stock from the factory. If it's not there, then that adds to the heat problem

2.The hood wont stay latched if i hit a hard enough bump it will pop up and be on the safety latch.what could i do to fix that?

The mechanism that the hood release cable goes to is not fully going into the locked position as the the hood comes down. It's a high corrosion area. Lube the heck out of and make sure the cable is moving freely along it's entire travel length.

3. What easy and quick improvments to do to make it get up and go with just taking crap off?like maybe the lean burn or if it has cats or not.

Edelbrock Performer carb & intake manifold, and 2 1/2" dual exhausts. Anything else is a waste of money until you change out the desmogified cam and low comp. pistons.

4. Also it has the flip covers for the headlights. Everytime i turn them on and they open i get a very annoying buzzing sound that buzzes, stops, buzzes click right at the relay under the dash. got another really from the junkyard still making the noise.So i unplugged them and it stopped.any idea what that could be?

If the headlight covers still operate after disconnecting the relay, it's your "HEADLIGHT ON" warning relay/buzzer

thanks guys!pics asap when it stops raining!